Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

What is a good treat for a small puppy?

Dahlia
March 1st, 2005, 11:10 PM
We are getting a beagle puppy tomorrow and it's about 6 wks old. I want to start training it ASAP. I was looking for treats today but they all seemed so big for a little puppy. The milk bone treats looked small but maybe too hard to chew? Any suggestions? I'm new BTW. :love:

mafiaprincess
March 1st, 2005, 11:16 PM
Well, really it shouldn't be leaving the mother at that age..

Where is your new puppy coming from?

Lizzie
March 2nd, 2005, 08:22 AM
I agree with mafiaprincess...you are going to have trouble down the line if this puppy is leaving its mother too early. Puppies shouldn't leave their mother until AT LEAST 8 weeks of age.

A six week old puppy is too little to be separated. He/she hasn't finished learning what his/her mother needs to teach him/her.

Please take caution in this purchase---if this is a 6 week old puppy you are likely buying him/her from a back yard breeder or a puppy mill who can't be bothered to keep the puppies around long enough to ensure they are given the proper care.

If it's not too late you might consider adopting a Beagle puppy. There are many available in shelters right now. Check out this sweet little guy:

http://www.petfinder.org/pet.cgi?action=2&pet=4103436&adTarget=468doggeneral&SessionID=4225be0233f76106-app4&display=&preview=&row=0&tmpl=&stat=

Dahlia
March 2nd, 2005, 08:56 AM
Hi! I'm not sure exactly how old the puppy is. I'm getting it from my uncle, who has a litter. My grandma is the one who told me she thought they were about 6 wks old but my uncle said they would be ready this week. Maybe they are 8 wks. I'll ask him today.

Lizzie
March 2nd, 2005, 09:22 AM
There are treats specificially designed for training that you can buy at the pet store. They are liver flavoured for the most part and work really well. You can get pellets or larger pieces that can be broken into smaller bits to give to the small puppy.

Dahlia
March 2nd, 2005, 10:03 AM
Thank you. I looked at Wal-Mart, but I know Feeder's Supply has these little bins of treats that you can scoop out and buy by the pound or whatever amount you want. I'll look there.

Trinitie
March 2nd, 2005, 11:04 AM
Just remember to give only a taste of the treat. Treats used for training purposes should be as small as possible. If you fill the dog/pup up on treats throughout the training session, it will eventually lose interest in learning as the treats aren't as appealing. Make sure you get something that can be easily made into smaller bits. A rollover chub is a good thing. Loads of good stuff in it, and it's soft - easier on small little puppy mouths.

Make the training bits about the size of confetti you get from an office hole punch. Any bigger and you risk filling the little puppy tummy!

mafiaprincess
March 2nd, 2005, 11:35 AM
I've seen people at obedience classes giving milkbones everytime as a treat to dogs that weigh 10 pounds or less. After 3 or 4 they are done.

At home for traning treats we have egg and cheese treats that are the size of about a fingernail, and for actual training sessions outside or for class we cut up a chicken hot dog into about 100 pieces. She eats it faster than a dog that has to stop and crunch a treat and looses focus, but I'm not sure I'd be giving any of those things to a dog that's possibly that young.

If your new pup actually is 6 weeks, it may not be fully weaned, or fully on solid food even.

Trinitie
March 2nd, 2005, 11:50 AM
Not to mention, a pup that young doesn't have the train of thought to do much learning. At 8 weeks the only training you should be doing is something the dog already knows. For instance, have treats handy at all times, in your pocket. When your pup sits down say "sit" and give it a small treat and lots of praise (quietly - or it may stand and not know why it's getting praise). This way you're training the pup in a passive way. It's doing what comes naturally and learning that the words you say mean something.

I would certainly concentrate on teaching the puppy it's name and potty training at a very young age. If you can, leave the puppy with the mother until it's 8 weeks of age, at least. If all the pups are there, it'll be more socially developed than one that's been removed too early.

Dahlia
March 2nd, 2005, 01:19 PM
Thank you. That's why I was looking for tiny treats. I didn't want him filling up on them. Is it bad to give puppy a treat for going potty outside? Or should I just praise him when he does his business?

mafiaprincess
March 2nd, 2005, 01:25 PM
I praised for the first month. She was about 50/50. I started treating, she got it right more often. At 5 months potty training was finally down pat.

But, with a 6-8 week old dog, it will take time to potty train, they have tiny bladders, and not developed control. Even now mine is almost occasionally suprised and her need to pee has snuck up on her, and she's 6 months old.

Sonja
March 2nd, 2005, 01:34 PM
The advice you have recieved so far is excellent. :thumbs up When my little girl was small I also used her own puppy food as treats. At that age they grow so quickly and are so very hungry that anything is a treat....I have also used Cheerios (the natural ones without sugar) and the liver treats for special occaisions. Not too much as their stomachs are very small and fill up quickly.

Once your pup gets a bit older you can also use pieces of apples, carrots or any other fruit of veggie (raw or cooked) except for avocado, grapes, raisins, chocolate (of course) and onions :yuck: . You will see what you little fellow likes and use that...excellant healthwise.

have fun with your new puppy and enjoy this wonderful time. :D

Dahlia
March 2nd, 2005, 01:50 PM
Thanks mafiaprincess and sonja. I know it will take time to potty train him, I just want to give him every opportunity for success in this area. I'm a stay-at-home mom, so he won't have to wait long periods before being taken outside. I know to take him out first thing in the morning and any time he has been in his crate, after eating and drinking. I am blocking off the living room so he can't roam all over the house and I can keep a close eye on him during the day, so any time he starts "going" I can scoop him up and take him out. Any other tips?

Trinitie
March 2nd, 2005, 02:02 PM
It sounds like you have a pretty good handle on what it takes to successfully potty train!

I'd do one more thing though - take him out every 10 minutes while saying "go outside?!?!?" in an excited voice. Put him down, tell him to go potty. When he does - PRAISE!! Puppies that young are walking pee factories and need to go VERY often.

nymph
March 2nd, 2005, 02:40 PM
Dahlia, it also helps if you can detect that "I need to pee" face, and it's not that hard to detect: when he starts snooping around in circles or going away from you, he's probably looking for a spot. :D

I have a 7-weeks golden retriever/lab rescue Diego who waits quietly at my patio door when he needs to go, only after ONE WEEK of active training! Of course he still has his accidents (once or twice per day max), but those are pretty much our fault for not noticing his moves. Our "secret": A LOT OF PRAISES! No treats, just my high-pitched happy voice and a lot of petting after he does eliminate ouside. I wait for him to finish THEN praise him. There were a couple of times I pet him while he was peeing and he stopped midway, so I knew I was actually disturbing him.

We have tried to let him eliminate on training pads at night, but that's actually a lot more work than taking him outside.

Just my 2 cents. Enjoy your new puppy! :)

Sonja
March 2nd, 2005, 03:10 PM
Puppies are very much like babies and do not have any actual control until they pass 5 months of age (on the average) and the muscles are more developed.
My rule of thumb has been to take the pup out 15 min. after eating, drinking, after waking up, after playing....you will start to notice a certain walk, going in circles, nose down....that is your cue that something is up and you have to be fast.
Thank goodness they sleep alot, that will give you some breathing time.

If you do catch puppy in the act then you say "no, outside", pick him up gently and carry him outside to finish (always in the same spot). Most puppies will stop mid stream when you pick them up. Praise as he goes outside.
Do not let your puppy watch you clean up any messes (I think the theory is that watching you clean up will take him back to watching his mother eat puppies poop in the whelping box????) Vinegar water works well to remove traces of the odour so that he will not pee/poop there again because he smells it.
Until you catch on to the "I am going to need to pee" cues, you can attach your pup to you via an old leash. This keeps him close to you, gets him bonding and following you and allows you to have a quick access to him at all times. Plus he gets used to the feel of the leash and collar.
I would also enroll in puppy classes, they provide a wealth of information for new owners and are invaluable in socializing and setting the ground for a good canine citizen.
hope this helps

glasslass
March 2nd, 2005, 04:00 PM
When Den-Den was in his basic obedience class, I found dry cat kibble worked great. It was easy to carry in my pocket, was tiny, and high protein for a very high-energy pup. And it was something he wanted and couldn't reach because we fed Puss on a high platform out of his reach.

wjranch
March 3rd, 2005, 11:31 AM
Buy something called 'RollOver' it looks like a fat pepperoni..... you can find it at most pet food stores.
Cut it up into appropriate sized pieces for your pup. That's the nice thing about it, you decide how big is big enough and it's soft so they can eat it quick (good when you're trainin for attention)
Make sure you don't overfeed it. If you find the puppy isn't interested in it, cut back some of the regular meals accordingly. Most puppies are pretty driven by food, so you shouldn't have much trouble with it.

Trinitie
March 3rd, 2005, 01:33 PM
Sounds fairly familiar (read back 11 posts), but I don't recommend cutting back on the ammount the puppy eats so it pays more attention at training sessions.

The best way to go is to train the puppy before meal time. If it's hungry enough to eat it's meal, it's hungry enough to do a small training session before dinner.(small is the key word for a pup this age)

The only way to train such a young puppy is to do it in very short spurts. Too long and you're just going to sound like "blah blah blah" after a while. As I said earlier, at this age concentrate mainly on teaching it's name and potty training. Everything else the puppy learns at this stage is just gravy!

wjranch
March 3rd, 2005, 01:48 PM
buy cut back, i simply meant feed treats and meals in appropriate portions... wasn't refering to starve the pup so he'll be so hungry he's forced to pay attention to you.. that would be cruel.
:)

Trinitie
March 3rd, 2005, 01:57 PM
If you find the puppy isn't interested in it, cut back some of the regular meals accordingly.

Guess I misinterpreted. But reading the quote above, you can understand why I said what I did. It does "appear" you're recommending the cutting back of regular meals.

vivilee
March 3rd, 2005, 09:02 PM
You can also use dried veggies or raw organic veggies from your health food store. Dogs love them and they are very healthy. It does cause some gas so feed a little plain yogurt afterwards.

I also like the Healthy Treats made by Petsmart. They are inexpensive, very healthy and dogs just love the taste/smell.

I found that the pure liver treats gave my pup really bad breath and terrible gas.

I found that even though my puppy sucked all the life out of me at first, I now love her more than myself. She was potty trained in 2 months! The thing is, people have told me puppies usually sleep a lot but she hardly ever slept. She's making up for it now at 5 months old.