Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Newspaper

ScottGoodburn
March 1st, 2005, 07:40 PM
Friends of ours are looking for their first dog, and they keep looking in the newspapers at the puppies for sale. I am trying to point them in petfinder's direction, but to no avail. What can I tell them to look for, so they don't go getting a puppymill puppy? any info at all?

Karin
March 1st, 2005, 08:03 PM
Friends of ours are looking for their first dog, and they keep looking in the newspapers at the puppies for sale. I am trying to point them in petfinder's direction, but to no avail. What can I tell them to look for, so they don't go getting a puppymill puppy? any info at all?

A vet I once worked for summed it up for me, and I became a believer myself. He said.."If you buy an animal, you have a bought pet, if you rescue a pet, they spend the rest of their life thanking you". So true.

Not saying that purchasing an animal is wrong with the exception of supporting millers...but buyer beware.

maddoxies
March 1st, 2005, 08:03 PM
***sigh****

If they see the same phone number for more than one litter or breed of puppies, it's a puppy mill.

Backyard breeders, "I wanted my daughter to witness birth" good clue there. "We are building a new deck this summer" and the puppies will be financing it.

If the "breeder" does not ask many/any questions about what the pup's life will be like, what their home is like, etc. they are not a reputable breeder. Good breeders care. Read the contract offered, health guarantees, dog must return to breeder if they do not keep him/her, regardless of how many years go by, etc.

At least try to steer them towards the CKC website where they can find registered breeders for the breed of their choice. It is not a guarantee, but it will help to weed out some of the worse hazzards. Try a copy of Dogs in Canada too for breeder listings.

Maybe do a bit of searching for them on petfinder and offer them some puppy choices. Also, if they find a breeder, you can post the name here and folks can pm you with any feedback if they recognize the name.

Writing4Fun
March 1st, 2005, 08:19 PM
If they see the same phone number for more than one litter or breed of puppies, it's a puppy mill.
If they see any phone number in the paper (unless it's specifically an ad for a rescue), it's either a byb, miller or one of those "accidents". Good breeders don't advertise in the paper. Maybe you can print out some of the threads or links from this site on "How to find a good breeder" or "What is a puppy mill"?

ScottGoodburn
March 1st, 2005, 08:19 PM
Thanks Golden and karin and writing for fun

happycats
March 1st, 2005, 08:29 PM
Why don't you tell your frienbds to visit this website ?? We can try to educate him. He needs to see pics of puppymills and BYB, maybe that will make him a believer.
There was a thread here not to long ago about a dog that was rescued from a puppymill, who was covered in maggots and still alive it was such a shocking site, the dog was so bad it had to be PTS, If your friend saw those pics, I am sure he would change his mind, and if it doesn't then he really shouldn't own a dog!

goldenblaze
March 1st, 2005, 08:36 PM
Yes beware of newspapers.... paws r us have an ad in my home town paper this week :mad: I wrote the editor and he is printing my story about puppy mills in Quebec, to make people aware. He is also adding a link for my petition :thumbs up

Writing4Fun
March 1st, 2005, 08:45 PM
Goldenblaze, that's great!! :thumbs up I wish I had more money (maybe once business takes off a little...). I'd really love to place an ad in the "Pets" section of my paper - right next to the ones advertising for Border Collies and Shiatsu (that's exactly how it's spelled, I kid you not!) puppies. I'd say something like "NEVER buy puppies from the newspaper! You're only supporting back yard breeders and puppy mills" and then give a link to "No Puppy Mills Canada" and the OSPCA for more info. Ah, well - one day!

(sorry for hijacking, Scott! :o )

Sheriffmom
March 2nd, 2005, 09:57 AM
Maybe if you can, let us know what they are looking for..... we could all keep an eye out, and maybe if we can provide a contact for them, they will instead go with a rescue? :) Goodluck!