Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

House training - 1.5 yr old

CBKiko
March 1st, 2005, 07:18 PM
Hello,

I have recently adopted a dog from the SPCA. His name is Kiko, and he's a mix terrier and pitbull...we think? He's a small guy, only 33lbs, and 1.5yrs old. We've had him for almost 3 months now, and we're still having difficulty with his house training. In the beginning, he'd pee and poo on the floor. We got a crate where he stays while we're at work. He's been fine up to about a week ago. He's now doing his business again in the crate, and it's become a daily issue. Needless to say, we're pretty upset with this. Any advice on how we can address this?

Thanks,

CBKiko

Lucky Rescue
March 1st, 2005, 08:11 PM
First of all, thank you for adopting a shelter dog!

What is your schedule - what exercise does Kiko get in the morning, what does he eat then and how long is he in the crate every day?

Writing4Fun
March 1st, 2005, 08:22 PM
...Also, how big is the crate? Has Kiko been to the vet yet, to rule out a medical issue?

And, yes, thanks for rescuing this baby! :thumbs up We love pictures, by the way! :D

tenderfoot
March 2nd, 2005, 05:14 PM
Was he sick at all - to force him to potty in the crate?
Have you taken the bedding out of the crate?
Did something happen that was out of routine in his schedule?
Might something have stressed him (ie someone knocking at the door) while you were gone?
Are you leaving toys/bones in the crate?

wjranch
March 3rd, 2005, 10:03 AM
Try following this schedule and see if it helps.
Feed first thing in the morning, with a drink of water...take dog outdoors until he does his business.... return home and put him back in crate. Go to work the same as usual....do NOT leave food and water in the crate with him.
In the evening, feed him supper before 6 pm (outdoors to relieve after suppertime) and no more food (including treats) after that time. Take the water up off the floor by 8pm and make sure he gets some good exercise and relieves himself by 10pm. Then it's back to crate for bedtime.

we can't blame a dog for having to go, if we don't have the sense to get his body on a proper schedule.

Remember, what goes IN must come out! It is like clockwork (unless illness is involved) For the puppy to actually be reliable at 'telling' you when it needs to go out, or 'hold it' till it can go out...it takes time, patience and schedule.
Good Luck
give this method a try and see how it goes..... just remember it will take probably 24 hours for the GI Tract to empty and get scheduled with the new feeding program. You could also try feeding a natural feed. I feed my dogs Nutro Natural Large breed... You would not believe the changes I've seen in only 6 weeks on this food!! But, that's a whole other post :)