Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Puppy found with ears, tail cut off

heidiho
March 1st, 2005, 05:04 PM
PHOENIX -- The Arizona Humane Society says a puppy is lucky to be alive after someone cut off his ears and tail.

The injured 10-week-old border collie-Lab mix was discovered today following some children to school in west Phoenix, near 83rd Avenue and Indian School Road.

“Someone saw the puppy walking down the street and realized that he was badly injured. The good Samaritan picked up the puppy and immediately noticed that somebody had brutally cut off the puppy’s ears and his tail,” said Dave White, the AHS Emergency Medical Technician™ who was called to the scene.

According to AHS staff, the puppy's ears have jagged cuts that have become infected. They also said his tail -- the inch or so that's left of it -- had blood-caked and infected wounds.

Veterinarians at the AHS Second Chance Hospital™, where the little dog was taken, estimate the wounds to be between five and 10 days old.

The puppy, who AHS personnel have named "Cubby," is getting fluids, antibiotics and lots of attention.While Cubby is expected to recover, vets said he'll probably need some time in foster care.

Those who have worked with Cubby said he is gentle, friendly and trusting, depite what he's been through.

The Humane Society and Silent Witness are offering a reward of up to $5,000 for information leading to an arrest or indictment in the case.

The culprits could be charged with a Class 6 felony.

"This is a serious offense this would fall under a felony offense for unnessasarily torturing an animal," said Rick Valenzuela of the Arizona Humane Society.

Anyone who knows anything about Cubby or what happened to him is urged to call Silent Witness at (480) WITNESS (948-6377) or 1-800-343-TIPS (8477).

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

This text is invisible on the page, but this text is affected by the invisible item's flow. This text is invisible on the page, but this text is affected by the invisible item's flow.
Interactive

Sound off: Discuss this story

Stay in touch: Free Breaking News e-mails

Watch this: azfamily.com video archive

Slideshows: Photo galleries

TWilson9498
March 1st, 2005, 05:15 PM
I say if they catch the freak shows that did this, they should punish them the way they treated that puppy, cut their ears off... and seeing as how we don't have "tails" if it's a guy.. well we all know the end to my sentence! :rolleyes:

happycats
March 1st, 2005, 05:18 PM
TWilson, ,I'll get the dull knife :evil:

heidiho
March 1st, 2005, 05:18 PM
I tell u i live here in Phoenix and this seems to becoming more and more common i am seeing stories like this on the news here,un friggin believable how someone could do that,,,,,,,,,,,,,,wow it really blows the mind and is hard to grasp,i hope someone cuts off there body parts slowly and lets them wander aimlessley through the streets of Phoenix bleeding to death.,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,

TWilson9498
March 1st, 2005, 05:27 PM
I say someone cuts 'em all up and pours alcohol all over them.. that stuff burns like crazy!! Then, set them on fire and let them wonder through the streets burning and bleeding to death... We don't have much animal cruelty to that extent here, which is good, but lately EVERY day for the past week 1/2 there is some idiot killing their baby! All the babies have been under the age of 1... it's crazy. We did have a story on the news at 5.. its some new form of pit fighting here.. they don't fight other pits.. they fight pigs.. Isn't that sad? They did an undercover story on it and broke up the ring sending all the people involved to jail of course..

coonlover
March 1st, 2005, 05:28 PM
This poor little baby, wandering around for 5 to 10 days, hes lucky hes alive, and thank god for those kids who found him, and the pieces of sh** who did this, I hope they get what they deserve some torture, some ppl make me sooo sick!

heidiho
March 1st, 2005, 05:32 PM
The only good thing about it is when stories like this hit the news they will have people write essays about why they should be able to adopt the dog,and hundreds of people do it,so the dog always goes to a good home......................

twodogsandacat
March 1st, 2005, 06:31 PM
What is going on in that city? Somebody needs to do something. Those poor dogs. This is the type of things that need to be banned.

twodogsandacat
March 1st, 2005, 06:36 PM
We did have a story on the news at 5.. its some new form of pit fighting here.. they don't fight other pits.. they fight pigs.. Isn't that sad? They did an undercover story on it and broke up the ring sending all the people involved to jail of course..

TWilson9498: I like to thank the news stations that run these stories as I believe they are more likely to cover future stories if they feel the viewers are interested. I also believe that reporters in the court room increase the chances of a sentence being handed down.

As for those killing babies..i can't write my thoughts on that here.

TWilson9498
March 1st, 2005, 08:08 PM
Yeah, I agree. I'm glad the news stations do these undercover stories here. It may not stop it but it sure does slow it down for a long time, people are too scared to fight their animals because it's all over the news for a few months ya know. Then just when they think it is safe again, here comes another story on the news. I'm glad they work hard to cover this kind of nonsense. I'm sure getting involved with it is rather dangerous. The pit fighting isn't as common here as chicken fighting, afterall this is Alabama! :D

heidiho
March 2nd, 2005, 08:26 AM
I dont know what the hell is going on here,but i see these stories alot,and our news channels do great jobs of showing the poor dogs on tv,and then they do follow ups when they get adopted....Scary to think there are sick f***** up people out there doing that.....As soon as that dog has healed there will be a ton of people waitng to adopt him...........