Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Precautions for puppy

Shamrock
March 1st, 2005, 04:21 PM
Well, my grand-daughter's ninth birthday is this weekend, and though she is having her party and sleepover - her "big' suprise.. an adorable female doxie puppy will be coming next weekend. :)
They decided to wait an additional week for her to be with her mom and littermates.

A lady that my daughter-in-law spoke to told her not to let the puppy on the ground outdoors until she had had her complete set of shots - to just carry her when outdoors with her - as a precaution.

Ive never heard of this... but then, I 've never had a puppy either..
Is this true?

Also, she mentioned some type of special harness for doxies? Is there such a thing designed just for this breed and their particular build?

TWilson9498
March 1st, 2005, 04:56 PM
Yes! That is very true. The most important reason behind that is parvo. Puppies die so quickly from this, even if they do make it, it could cost you hundreds and hundreds of dollars, with no promise the puppy will live. You need to get the shots asap and keep the puppy off the ground outside until ALL shots have been completed. (booster shots) Not just the first set of shots.
As for the harness, I have no idea about this particular breed, as I do not have one, and never have.. so someone else can answer that part for you. :)

Lucky Rescue
March 1st, 2005, 05:12 PM
Yes, as TWilson says, parvo is a big danger for puppies. It can live in the soil - even in freezing temperatures - for months and can even be brought into the house on the soles of your shoes! Puppies are very susceptible to this disease.

I have never heard of a special harness for doxies either.

maddoxies
March 1st, 2005, 05:46 PM
I don't know about a special harness, but I do use a body harness on my mini doxie, rather than attach his leash to his collar (less pull on the little neck).

I found a nice one that fastens with just one clasp, easier to attach to those wiggling bodies.

I will also send her a private message about a site I found that supplies doxie specific items. (and sends aportio of sales to Cdn Dachshund Rescue :thumbs up

Lizzie
March 1st, 2005, 05:55 PM
I'm not sure if this is a kind of precaution you are looking to get more info on, but I'd want to be sure that this puppy is not introduced the family with a bunch of 9 years olds around---doxies are prone to back problems and I'd hate to have a small child hurt him/her by accident.

Maybe goldengirl can give more info to you from this angle as she has one I believe!!

Shamrock
March 1st, 2005, 08:21 PM
Thanks for that info - sounds like a very good precaution to take - I will let her know then of the parvo danger from the ground exposure.

Lizzie,you are competely right about the group of kids :thumbs up. Not a good time for this - a bunch of exuberant and excited youngsters - yikes!
That is precisely why they decided to put the puppy's arrival over to the following weekend, so that things would be quiet and a normal atmosphere.
The house is not typically boisterous with a lot of her playmates coming and going. The nine year old daughter is home-schooled - most of her kid group activities are held outside the home, and their other daughter is almost seventeen.
The mom is now at home full time to devote all the necessary time and supervision for the puppy's care needs - and is aware of the back problems issues with doxies.
I will be buying her some articles for the new addition - and will be sure that a lot of it it specifically tailored to mini-doxies.
:ca:

Lizzie
March 2nd, 2005, 07:15 AM
Well that's great! I hope they like their new puppy :) :crazy: