Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Puppy Class?

BeagleMum
March 1st, 2005, 12:53 PM
This is a bit of a continuation of my last thread that got closed and not resolved.

Why is it that they would even have an obedience class for puppies if they are not supposed to be around each other until that have had all of their shots plus a few weeks of waiting time?

The puppy class that I have Spencer in is for any dog between 9 weeks and 6 months old. Why would they encourage you to interact with other puppies if they have not completed all of their shots?

Anyway, Spencer has had 2 vaccinations and his rabies shot. I will be getting in touch with my vet to try and find out if he needs a 3rd vaccination or not.

Karin
March 1st, 2005, 06:30 PM
*disclaimer*..I never said anything about interaction.

My opinion. A 9 week old puppy is to young for active interaction in a dog park or any place where other animals frequent and are health status unknown.

Many diseases can live in the soil, such as parvo, as long as a year (sometimes more) Sunlight will kill the rabies virus and other evils but does not touch parvo. An infected stray can cross a site, defecate and you walk your unprotected puppy in the same area after.

Vaccines make the body build antibodies to fight the same infective virus exposed to. It is not a instant "cure". Immunity does not happen over night.Anyone taking a puppy to a common walking area is risking their puppy's life.

twodogsandacat
March 1st, 2005, 06:43 PM
In the 'Idiots' book of dog training there is a story of a trainer who asked a class of rotti owners to bring their dogs back at age six months and to avoid interaction with dogs until then. Well he ended up with a class full of aggressive rottis. Socialization has risks. Lack of it has risks also.

A dog park of course would be a lot of exposure to a lot of other dogs. A classroom has a small number of dogs and therefore a smaller chance of contracting something. I believe it is worth the risk.

Writing4Fun
March 1st, 2005, 07:46 PM
I agree that young puppies need to be socialized. IMHO, that can be accomplished without putting your puppy at risk of life-threatening illnesses. Or any illness for that matter. Think about it - these are very young puppies. "Accidents" are bound to happen during class, leaving behind who knows what kind of little buggies! :eek: We exposed Phoebe to as many new experiences as we could before she had her 3rd set of vaccinations. We exposed her to other dogs - but only those we knew personally and therefore were assured were up to date on all of their shots. We took her everywhere to expose her to different people, sights & sounds, but carried her around instead of letter her walk. Our obedience school doesn't allow pups until they've had their third set of shots (you have to bring proof when you register). As for basic obedience, you can probably handle a good chunk of the basics yourself before you start classes.

BeagleMum
March 3rd, 2005, 07:52 AM
Spencer is actually 14.5 weeks old (3 1/2 months old). He has already had 2 sets of shots AND his rabies shot. I have contacted my vet to see if he needs to have more shots but she is on holidays until Monday. We will find out then.

Until then, we will continue to take him to puppy class (Sunday) as we did have to show proof that our dogs were getting their needles. Any messes made during class are cleaned up with an enzyme solution.

BeagleMum
March 8th, 2005, 11:17 AM
I was speaking with my vet last night and she told me that the vaccine company guarantees their product and if the first shot is given after the dog is 8 weeks old (Spencer was 9 weeks) then they will only need to have 2 shots. If the first shots are given before 8 weeks of age, then the dog should have 3.

Maybe it's a new vaccine or something if no one has ever heard of this.

sammiec
March 8th, 2005, 01:27 PM
Are puppies not supposed to be vaccinated for worms and such earlier then 8 weeks of age? Is it possible that Spencer could of have shots before you got him?

I know that when I adopted Briggs she had shots at the shelter and I had to get her two more sets. There are 3 boosters that are required, the third includes the rabies.

Even after getting her, knowing that she had her first set of shots at the shelter, I was told by the vet to keep her from strange dogs. If there are others that we know that are fully UTD then that's fine, but going to a dog park where any dog could nver have recieved one shot is risky. IMHO.

dogcatharmony
March 8th, 2005, 01:57 PM
Every wonder where a puppy could really be prone to disease? how about the parking lot of your vet? sick dogs in and out all day using the lot to do their bathroom business................ really it gave me something to think about

Writing4Fun
March 8th, 2005, 02:38 PM
Well, okay, but that would be the same thing as taking your kid to a walk-in clinic, wouldn't it? You don't let them run around touching everything, and you wash them up with some antibactirial soap afterwards. Same thing with your pup. When they're that young, you can carry them into the vet's office, can't you??

Prin
March 8th, 2005, 02:45 PM
There is no shot for worms, only pills that are given if the dog has worms. There are a lot of dogs that don't show symptoms till later even though they are contageous even to little kids. If the dogs have had all their normal shots, the only one missing that is important is Bordetella. Kennel cough bacteria gets absorbed into flooring that is not sealed (rubber or cement floors) and seems to survive a long time. Even if nobody has it in the class, chances are somebody in that room has had it at some point.

Speaking of where you get diseases, I have actually heard of a dog dying from eating a pig ear because it wasn't vaccinated properly and got infected with a virus...

sammiec
March 8th, 2005, 03:20 PM
Sorry, you're right. I wrote that wrong. Puppies usually get the first shots done around the time that they are dewormed. Which should be earlier then 8 weeks, right?

Bordetella can be deadly. Briggs got that from the dog park when she was 5 months. This is one of the things that are very common around those places.

The vet said that now she has the virus she is immune to it. But should she travel across to the US or have to stay in a kennel, she is required to have the shot.

Prin
March 8th, 2005, 03:36 PM
Maybe I am wrong but, I wouldn't count on your dog being immune-- bordetella is like colds, there are different strains and they change all the time (not as fast as colds though...) The really risky part of bordetella is that sometimes it's accompanied by pneumonia which can be deadly or the dog can get secondary more serious infections as a result of being weaker immune-wise.

This is what my vet book says about vaccine schedules:
5 to 6 wks- distemper, measles, parainfluenza, bordetella (depending on situation)
8 to 12 wks- DHPP (distemper, hepatitis, parainfluenza, parvo), corona (always optional), bordetella, lepto and lyme (depending on area)
12 wks-- Rabies
16 Wks- DHPP, Corona, lyme and lepto (lepto you need 2 injections 2 weeks apart)
15-16 months-- Rabies, DHPP, Corona, Lepto, Bordetella, lyme

All are yearly after that except some rabies vaccines are given every 3 years.
Don't forget that if your dog needs ALL the shots to get them in 2 sets two weeks apart. The vet I worked at gave my dogs all in one day and they were so sick for weeks. My regular vet told me never to do that again and you're not supposed to get them all in one shot anyway...

Is that comprehensive enough list? I've worked in a vet and I've written this list on other forums and surprisingly enough, I still don't know by it heart...

It's good to know though because sometimes, vets are not as thorough as we hope...

Karin
March 8th, 2005, 06:13 PM
Maybe I am wrong but, I wouldn't count on your dog being immune-- bordetella is like colds, there are different strains and they change all the time (not as fast as colds though...) The really risky part of bordetella is that sometimes it's accompanied by pneumonia which can be deadly or the dog can get secondary more serious infections as a result of being weaker immune-wise.

This is what my vet book says about vaccine schedules:
5 to 6 wks- distemper, measles, parainfluenza, bordetella (depending on situation)
8 to 12 wks- DHPP (distemper, hepatitis, parainfluenza, parvo), corona (always optional), bordetella, lepto and lyme (depending on area)
12 wks-- Rabies
16 Wks- DHPP, Corona, lyme and lepto (lepto you need 2 injections 2 weeks apart)
15-16 months-- Rabies, DHPP, Corona, Lepto, Bordetella, lyme

All are yearly after that except some rabies vaccines are given every 3 years.
Don't forget that if your dog needs ALL the shots to get them in 2 sets two weeks apart. The vet I worked at gave my dogs all in one day and they were so sick for weeks. My regular vet told me never to do that again and you're not supposed to get them all in one shot anyway...

Is that comprehensive enough list? I've worked in a vet and I've written this list on other forums and surprisingly enough, I still don't know by it heart...

It's good to know though because sometimes, vets are not as thorough as we hope...

Bravo Prin!

Although vaccination series vary depending on the area this summed it up really well.
I have seen too many times puppies that have had their first, maybe second vax and immediatly left the clinic with the puppy only to go to Petsmart or a dog park thinking the pup is protected. That goes for feed store vaccines..another peeve of mine. People in my area think they are doing right by their pet, and saving money by buying feed store vaccines. Most feed stores employ after school help on the loading docks, the shipment arrives in the morning and sits in the hot sun until quitting time when the the boss tells these kids to get things put away. Vaccines were rendered useless by then but are still sold. I must say we have a few that do not practice this way. One year, we had over 150 cases of parvo at the hospital that stated "but they had all their shots"..(This does not include cases from breeders or regular clients) I felt I was working in a shelter again..

On another note, the University of Florida Vet college did a study recently on "junk yard dogs" or curs... They have the strongest immunity levels (highest heartworm of course) to all the nasty viruses..Of course none are altered and all roam free. Basic natural immunity I guess. Go figure. I prefer mine to be safe.