Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

new pitty owner, help required!

rayyes
March 1st, 2005, 12:17 PM
**If you dont want to go through the long read, my question is right at the end.**

Hi all. This is my first post so I'll try to make it short and to the point.

I got Tito just over a month ago, he's about 3 1/2 months old now. I did not buy him from a breeder, but from someone who Im quite convinced was running a puppy mill. Tito is a purebred pitbull.

Needless to say, since the source i got him from is not reputable he did not have any shots, no papers, not chipped. I took him to the vet (he's in great shape), got him his first set of shots, he has another two scheduled. He's not neutered and I dont want him to be, unless he absolutely has to be (if required by law, for example).

I loved him from day one, and I don't want him hurt in any way. So I want to make sure I can keep him, 'legally' so to speak. I would be devasted if say I was walking him and a cop stopped me and took him away because I didn't have the required papers or some legal crap like that.

The vet said for the time being, the documents she provided for the shots are enough, but I should inquire about specific laws to register him with the city (i live in north york).

Heres the question:
------------------

What is required of me, to be positive my pitbull is OK for me to have, as far as the city of North York is concerned? This includes all papers, documents any sort of legal paperwork that needs to be filled. I love Tito and want the best for him, please help me make sure I can keep him.

Thank you for reading

Lucky Rescue
March 1st, 2005, 12:35 PM
Hi and welcome to the board!:)

I'm sure someone close to your area can answer your specific questions, but if pit bulls are banned, then no papers of any kind will protect him and you will have to abide by the local laws to keep him legally which may include muzzling in public, special insurance, etc. :mad:

I have to also add that truly responsible owners (and you sound like one!) will have dogs neutered to lessen some kinds of aggression and other behaviors associated with intact status. Why do you want him to remain intact? I'm sure you DO want the best for Tito, and neutering is a favour you can do him.

BMDLuver
March 1st, 2005, 12:35 PM
If you do love him, you will get him neutered so that he won't possibly have to deal with prostate cancer at a later age. Sorry not your question but my consciencous can't let that part go.

sammiec
March 1st, 2005, 01:37 PM
Should this ban be in place you will have 90 days (from today) to comply with the regulations. This includes microchip, neutering, up to date on shots, muzzle and 6 foot lead. I am unsure right now what insurance needs could be required, but they will also have to be complied with.
The law WILL require that your dog is fixed... which is a GREAT idea in the first place, since having an intact pit bull in the province of Ontario is very irresponsible these days. Why may I ask would not not want to protect your pet from the possible deadly illnesses they can face if remaining intact.

rayyes
March 1st, 2005, 01:45 PM
thank you both for the quick replies.

To answer your questions about neutering him: I want him to stay intact so he doesn't lose his character. I heard dogs 'quiet down' if they get neutered. I want him to remain playful and active.
It seems that you guys are in favor of neutering him though, I'll have to research this more in depth before I decide. He won't get neutered before 6 months anyhow so there is time.

I am fine with muzzling Tito in public, if need be (although he probably wouldnt like it too much :s) or some kind of insurace, etc. Thats exactly what I need to know. What are the local laws so I can keep him legally.

Again thanks, hopefully someone in the area can answer the legal question.

sammiec
March 1st, 2005, 01:49 PM
Trust me, your dog will NOT lose his "character"!! :) He will be just a loveable and wonderful as he is now, maybe more because intact males tend to become a little more aggressive.

I am in teh same boat as you re: the bylaw. There is not very much information available on what type of insurance, if any, is required. I have been trying to follow everything, I will be sure to share if I find something out.

Copper'sMom
March 1st, 2005, 01:54 PM
thank you both for the quick replies.

To answer your questions about neutering him: I want him to stay intact so he doesn't lose his character. I heard dogs 'quiet down' if they get neutered. I want him to remain playful and active.

Trust me, he won't lose his character!!!!!! I got my boy neutered at 6 months and he is now 4 years old and starting to mature to an adult on his way to being a senior! My point is..........having him neutered at a young six months of age will retain his puppy like characteristics! My boy is now 4 and he is starting to calm down(and act like the adult he is) but when he plays he's just like that goofy puppy I had way back when! :crazy:

As for insurance, we won't know for sure until the bill has been voted on.

aussiemedogs
March 1st, 2005, 01:55 PM
I have 3 males....2 which are neutured 1 to be done soon! Trust me.....my guys are all hyper, extremely active, very playful, as far as I am concerned you get what you put in to a dog. If your lifestyle is eventful so will your dogs be.
The dogs are neutured and very active....hubby is not and is a couch potato! hahaha

CyberKitten
March 1st, 2005, 02:02 PM
Congratulations on your new dog. I wish you luck with the laws in Ontario and I am sure someone on the Board knows the specifics about North York.

Re: " I want him to stay intact so he doesn't lose his character. I heard dogs 'quiet down' if they get neutered. I want him to remain playful and active." You will be happy to know that is just not true - dogs will be dogs, intact or not. And it is much safer and so much healthier for the dog to have him neutered. You will be doing him the biggest favour and being a responsible "owner" at the same time. There is absolutely no truth to the notion dogs change character once they are nuetered. So rest easy. You can be responsible and he can be healthy! As for the Ont govt - all you can do is vote! <g>

sammiec
March 1st, 2005, 02:05 PM
There are no specfic regulations for North York at this time. Though every city does require that the dogs are registered and tagged. I know that Vaughn has a "dangerous dogs" bylaw already banning pit bulls, but you're not affected by that. I am just on the west side of Vaughn, just out of reach...;)

As for the province wide ban, you'll definately been included in that...:)

mastifflover
March 1st, 2005, 02:07 PM
I have 3 males....2 which are neutured 1 to be done soon! Trust me.....my guys are all hyper, extremely active, very playful, as far as I am concerned you get what you put in to a dog. If your lifestyle is eventful so will your dogs be.
The dogs are neutured and very active....hubby is not and is a couch potato! hahaha

Very funny Aussiedogs. If the ban comes into effect you will have to neuter and the insurance issue from all I have read is not an issue so far. I have a real problem with the muzzle. Neutering is the only responsible option and believe me it will not change your dogs personality it will only help him to live a longer healthier life. Even most breeders I know neuter and spay after they have retired their studs and bitches same with showdogs.

Lucky Rescue
March 1st, 2005, 02:11 PM

This is nonsense. Character is not shaped by testosterone, and the ONLY behaviors changed are the ones fueled by this hormone, like wanting to roam to seach out females in heat and wanting to fight other males. Another VERY unpleasant side effect of leaving a dog intact is that adult males will often start marking in the house.

Your dog will be more playful and active after neutering, since he won't be distracted by strong sexual/fight drives and can concentrate on you more. This is what it means to "quiet down" and it's only for the good! There are NO benefits to leaving a dog intact.

As pit bull owners, we must be more responsible and knowledgeable than owners of other breeds and do nothing to further harm our companions.

Here is a site you might very much like to read. It's very educational on a great many issues concerning pit bulls:
The Real Pit Bull (http://www.realpitbull.com/)

rayyes
March 1st, 2005, 03:27 PM
Thank you all for the great replies. Its good to see there are people out there who care :).
I will get him chipped this month. And from the looks of it, neutering is in order for Tito at the 6 month mark. You guys gave good arguments for getting him neutered.
LuckyRescue i agree that we must be well informed as pitbull owners, anything to stop perpuating the negative press this breed has been getting.

I talked to the vet and she said that once he's up to date on the shots, neutered and chipped, he can get registered with the city. This should be enough (for now at least).

BMDLuver
March 1st, 2005, 04:36 PM
photos please! :)

rayyes
March 1st, 2005, 05:47 PM
i had a couple more pics, but i can only upload 1 file so heres the cutest one.
btw i noticed that Tito doesnt like staring into the camera lens. is this common for dogs?

BMDLuver
March 1st, 2005, 07:44 PM
Thanks for posting a pic. What a cutie patootie! I love his ears. Maybe the flash just bothers him a bit?

twodogsandacat
March 1st, 2005, 07:52 PM
That's a sweet looking dog.

I really think I am starting to like dogs more than I like people.

TWilson9498
March 1st, 2005, 08:59 PM
Lol I'm with you on that note Twodogs..