Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Moving Soon, Saying Goodbye

RainbowLuvr01
March 1st, 2005, 10:55 AM
Hi all.
We have 2 cats, Kitty I and Kitty II. I am moving soon to a new apartment with carpet. We have hardwood floors now. Kitty II has a really big fear of using her litter box. So we can't take her with us. I want to know 2 things:

1) Will she ever stop pooping and peeing all over the floors
and
2) Will Kitty I be lonely without her? :(

Please Help???????????

sammiec
March 1st, 2005, 11:10 AM
RainbowLuvr, that seems very heartless that you would give your animal away because she has a fear of using the litter box... you can still clean carpet.

Yes, the other cat will be VERY sad if it's alone after having a mate for so long.
Yes, they can stop peeing and pooping on the floor. Have you been to a vet to see if there is a condition causing the cat to not use the litter? It's very plausable. Please, look into it before resorting giving your animal away. :sad:

Trinitie
March 1st, 2005, 11:24 AM
It's possible that Kitty II doesn't have a fear of the litter box, but may not like the type of litter you use. Try changing brands or styles of litter. Also, it may depend on how many litter boxes you have. You have two cats, so you need three boxes.

Try that before giving up your poor kitty.

happycats
March 1st, 2005, 11:41 AM
It also may be the kitty litter box you are using, some cats hate the ones wuth a roof, or some don't like the sides to high. My one cat pees beside the litter box all the time, so I just use a very big boot tray, so It's easy to clean.

I always believe if you get a pet, it's for LIFE, and if you are not willing to do that, then you should never get a pet.

Do you know haw hard it will be to find a home for an adult cat who pees on the floor?? No one will want it :sad:

Please try changing the litter, or box, or buy a big boot tray and keep the poor cat !!

Lucky Rescue
March 1st, 2005, 11:47 AM
If you can't take her, what are you planning to do with her?

mastifflover
March 1st, 2005, 11:49 AM
Well I beg you to reconsider you are handing this cat a death sentence and bottom line is that it is your fault to begin with you should have dealt with this a long time ago. Your other cat is going to be so lonely and wonder what you did with its mate. Animals are very perceptive and I hope you will be able to look the other one in the eyes, or will it be able to look you in the eyes.
A pet is a lifetime commitment they are not disposable

RainbowLuvr01
March 1st, 2005, 12:25 PM
Wow, I am not the heartless or cruel person that it seems that you all think I am. I don't want to give her away. I realize that having a pet is a lifetime thing, and I love my cats. I don't want to separate them and I want to try something else. I wouldn't be giving her to the pound, because I don't want her to be caged up for who knows how long or even worse. If I can't take her I already have a good home for her, with her brother and some more cats. So please don't be in such a rush to call me a monster. I'm really not. :angel:
I want the best for them both, so I would like any HELPFUL suggestions!

happycats
March 1st, 2005, 12:30 PM
. So we can't take her with us.

your words,

I believe we did offer you all kinds of helpful suggestions.

Trinitie
March 1st, 2005, 12:35 PM
Please re-read the posts above and you'll see some helpful suggestions.

CarlaD
March 1st, 2005, 12:37 PM
I hope that you are able to use some of the above suggestions. I would hate to see you give away your cat, because she doesn't want to use her litter box.

Lucky Rescue
March 1st, 2005, 12:57 PM
I see no one calling you either a "monster" or "cruel". I see concern, questions and suggestions.

What home is this who will take a cat known to avoid the litterbox?

What have you tried to correct this problem? Has your cat been checked out by a vet for this, to see if there is any physical cause? If there is no physical cause, there are ways to train her to use the box. Has she ever used it?

And yes, your remaining cat will be very lonely and upset at the loss of her companion.

BeagleMum
March 1st, 2005, 01:03 PM
I really think that separating them would not be a good idea. I know how my cats are and one will go crazy if the other is just in another room.

I know my friend's cat won't use a litter box if it has a lid. Sometimes as well, a cat won't use the box if another one had used it. Have you tried getting 2 litter boxes?

You just need to work with the cats, you will eventually find something that will work. Just please don't give up.

Sneaky2006
March 1st, 2005, 01:10 PM
You're supposed to have 1 more litter box than you do cats... you have 2 cats, that means 3 boxes.

If she's been cleared medically, you need to teach her again. That means putting her in a room with 2 litter boxes, making sure she uses it. A cat that doesn't use the litter box and has full range of the house, isn't going to 'get it' overnight, on their own. Giving her to someone without carpet isn't going to solve anything.

And if my cats were separated, they would be very lonely!

CyberKitten
March 1st, 2005, 01:14 PM
I am so sad to read about the possibility of giving away this kitty - especially for something that I am sure has a solution. I am not judging you, just thinking you may not know that avoidance of the litter box is one of the most obvious ways cats communicate either an illness or distress to us. Usually, it is a medical problem - definitely something is wrong. I would advise you to take the cat to a vet and find out what it is. There is absolutely no need for you to give up your cat and even if you are not a cruel person, that act in and of itself is crewl a defenceless animal who loves you and depends on you for life and health and to the other kitty who will miss him immensely!

Please bring him to a vet to find out what is wrong. If you give him away - to respond to your question, you will miss him very much and always question what you did. You will forever wonder about him and about your own action regarding another living creature.

RainbowLuvr01
March 1st, 2005, 01:23 PM
Hi all,
I hope that I haven't offended anyone thus far. I have tried different litter, but I will take her back to the vet to see if there is something wrong with her. We have 2 litter boxes, I will look into trying a third. Kitty I sometimes uses hers and we have to get him to stop that. I don't know if he is scaring her into not using that one. I appreciate your comments and your help, but a couple of them made me feel like I was the worst cat owner in the world. I don't want to lose either cat, because they make me smile all the time. So if anyone wants to know what happens at the vet, let me know.
Thanks everyone and once again sorry if I offended anyone!

Sneaky2006
March 1st, 2005, 01:25 PM
I'm sure everyone here would love to know if there's anything wrong with your cat! You may want to take samples with you, if you can get them.
Please keep us posted!

happycats
March 1st, 2005, 01:27 PM
I am sure all of us want to know what happens at the vet, ,please post it.
And we will try to come up with more suggestions for you.

The goal here is not to offend anyone, but to make sure you do whats best for both your cats, and that would be to "both" live with you in your new home :)

sammiec
March 1st, 2005, 01:32 PM
Please, we would love to know that everything has worked out! Please let us know what the vet has to say! I truly hope that this problem can be fixed, before your cat goes to a new home..

FYI: When I first og tmy cat we lived in a rented house. I guess the people that lived there before us were very dirty with their animals and they had let them use the basement as their litter box :rolleyes:... I couldn't figure out why he would continue to poop on the cement floor; we tried different litters and all... eventually I just blocked him from teh basement and moved his litter to a different part of the house... it all stopped. There was something on that floor that caused him to return to the cement for every poop..

It's important to know that if you're cleaning her messes with something containing ammonia, she will return there... ammonia increases the scent of the urine/ feces and brings them back to that spot!