Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

responsible breeding forum?

marko
March 1st, 2005, 10:42 AM
Hi everyone,

Just curious here,

Would people be interested in seeing a responsible breeding forum?

Please vote in the poll (it's anonymous)

Its goal would be to enlighten people about what responsible breeding is all about.

It would be a MODERATED forum, that is to say posts would not appear until they were cleared by an ADMIN or a moderator.

Selling pets would NOT be allowed in the forum.

Please provide honest feedback and suggestions as always.

sammiec
March 1st, 2005, 10:50 AM
As long as this forum doesn't include information on how to successfully breed your dog with another, but rather information on how the testing and other very important aspects of responsible breeding are included.
Why tests are done, why breeders will spay/neuter before releasing the puppies.... why 8 weeks or older for leaving the mom is best... that's great information to post...

But if there are posts re: how to welp, and how to find a great match for your untitled and poorly bred dog I think it would be helping people BYB, more then share good and helpful information... but I'm sure you know all that... and I'm sure that if posts are overlooked before appearing on the board then things should go fine!

What about a password for the forum... for people that have a certain number of posts before they can enter... and they need to be in good standings with the board?

Heinz57
March 1st, 2005, 10:53 AM
No. I don't even know where to begin to list all of the reasons for saying no. I feel it would possibly encourage more people to breed dogs. It isn't a topic IMHO that belongs at this forum. Thanks.

Trinitie
March 1st, 2005, 11:20 AM
I think it may be a good idea, but agree with Sammie about either a certain post count to post to the forum, or be a member of good standing - no reprimands on file.

It could be very benificial to people who are thinking of breeding and to see the risks involved.

LavenderRott
March 1st, 2005, 11:25 AM
There are so many risks in breeding that could be posted.

And I don't think that whelping information should be withheld. I know of a couple of instances right off the top of my head where someone has rescued a pregnant dog and needed some advice on whelping the puppies.

Trinitie
March 1st, 2005, 11:28 AM
True, but we don't want to be supplying information on "how to" to people who are thinking of breeding. This could prove to be a bit of a sticky situation.

I guess we could see how it goes and play it by ear.

carey
March 1st, 2005, 11:46 AM
I`m not sure if the forum would encourage breeding. I believe irresponsible breeders will do it whether they have info or not. 15 + years ago I hadn`t the slightest clue about breeders, what to look for, or puppy mills. I am all for education and information so people can make informed choices.

Lucky Rescue
March 1st, 2005, 11:54 AM
Marko, I'm not sure what you mean?

Do you mean a forum where breeders can ask for information, post puppies for sale, look for studs....?

Since no responsible breeder would ever do any of the above, can you clarify what you mean? Sorry, I'm a little dense sometimes!

marko
March 1st, 2005, 12:30 PM
Do you mean a forum where breeders can ask for information, post puppies for sale, look for studs....?

No way! - Speaking personally here, I don't think we want to encourage bad breeding and selling of puppies/kittens.

Rather the forum would contain SELECTED listings of posts that describe what responsible breeders need to do to be considered responsible breeders.
It could even be a locked forum with 5-10 posts on RESPONSIBLE breeding and what it takes to be considered a responsible breeder.

In general I feel education is good but I'm not married to the idea of this forum. I'm just putting it out to the members.

Phrase added:
It might ALSO serve as a good place to refer posters that post irrresponsible breeding questions and cut down on the 'bicker threads' that relate to Backyard breeding

Hope that's clearer.

CyberKitten
March 1st, 2005, 01:16 PM
Whoa! I have to think about this Marko! I can see responsible breeding but it has to be very strictly defined!! This gives it a very small audience and group of posters - I am not even sure anyone here shows their animals and then breeds the ones who win competitions? Are you looking to add a new group to the site? :)

I'll have to give this some thought - not to repeart myself.

Lucky Rescue
March 1st, 2005, 02:03 PM
Here is a wonderful article about responsible breeding and covers all aspects of it.

http://members.tripod.com/antique_fcr/goodbreeder.html

This would only be helpful for someone looking for a dog. Any bybers and millers always become highly defensive and enraged at the simplest questions like are their dogs health tested ("I KNOW My dogs are healthy!!") are they titled ("MY dogs don't need to win beauty contests!!") and of course the most popular response - "You dont' KNOW me!!" as though being personally aquainted with someone makes bybing acceptable.

Those 3 quotes were taken directly from this board.

mastifflover
March 1st, 2005, 02:52 PM
I think it is a good idea. I belong to a fabulous mastiff community and we have a breeders section but you have to register to enter. There is no selling of dogs it is an information site and you need to register to even enter the forum I have never even gone in but we have legitimate breeders and show dogs on the site as well as those in rescue. But I remember when they threw the idea out there was a good amount of support for it. But if you break any of the rules in this area you are out for good selling or promoting your kennel is not allowed in any way shape or form other than your kennel name but that is because we all know who are breeders and their kennels but absolutely no publicity

Karin
March 1st, 2005, 06:07 PM
No way! - Speaking personally here, I don't think we want to encourage bad breeding and selling of puppies/kittens.

Rather the forum would contain SELECTED listings of posts that describe what responsible breeders need to do to be considered responsible breeders.
It could even be a locked forum with 5-10 posts on RESPONSIBLE breeding and what it takes to be considered a responsible breeder.

In general I feel education is good but I'm not married to the idea of this forum. I'm just putting it out to the members.

Phrase added:
It might ALSO serve as a good place to refer posters that post irrresponsible breeding questions and cut down on the 'bicker threads' that relate to Backyard breeding

Hope that's clearer.

You're my new hero!

After 20 gadzillion post's, the essence of some threads does get shoved to the wayside.

Daisy's Owner
March 1st, 2005, 07:13 PM
I think it's a good idea.

Bicker threads are not going to inform people. Information is. Making a potential byb'er defensive doesn't get anyone anywhere. It makes them leave the board with a sour taste in their mouths, but they are still going to breed without learning anything and probably more than once. And then there are the rescued dogs that are already pregnant. And like it or not, sometimes accidents happen. albeit, by irresponsible owners, but still.

It would be nice to have a place where someone can go and get ALL the facts and information.

A perfect world would be nice, but we don't have it. But if there were a well thought out and put together site with all of the breeding information on it, it might not stop all the back yard breeding, but if it could stop a litter at a time, that might be a little more acceptable.

LettuceLady
March 1st, 2005, 10:16 PM
Absolutly not! Why give more reason to breed while others in shelters die? This would only be encouraging people to do so and Im sure alot of fight on this board would break out.

:evil:

sammiec
March 2nd, 2005, 08:25 AM
Lettcue Lady, I don't think that you took the time to review the posts to see what "type" of breeding section that is being talked about.

CyberKitten
March 5th, 2005, 10:41 PM
I just typed a long response to that individual who wanted to breed his (?) golden and alas, it was closed before I could get the message edited. I explained how it was frowned on and realized I had failed to notice the advanced age of the dog (in terms of breeding). I can understand it being closed but I am once again frustrated that I could not alter my message - which is not at all what I wanted to say - or delete it. Can one of the moderators delete it? I thought that feature was available.

Thanks!!!

I am sorry to express this here but I am having problems with PMing.

deerclan
March 5th, 2005, 11:52 PM
I agree! As long it is just for information on being a responsible breeder
( the do's and dont's)

glasslass
March 6th, 2005, 08:58 AM
I prefer to NOT see a forum about breeding. Members who have been around awhile don't need it. And new members who log on should be answered individually and appropriately. As has been said, some posters haven't bred their dogs, they have rescued a pregnant dog. Some information beyond "see a vet" and "it's not too late to spay your dog" is needed. Perhaps, a compilation of some of the excellent posts that have appeared on this subject could be assembled into a locked thread. When a newby comes on asking about breeding, they could be referred to the locked post dealing with the subject, and their thread would then be locked. This would refer them to all the great information that has been compiled with all the reasons they should not breed. This would allow the necessary education to be given without flaming the individual and making them defensive and hostile. And, prevent some of the frustration older members experience from having to deal with this same issue over & over. Let's spend our energy answering the honest questions of those who are truly attempting to help an unfortunate expectant bitch.
The same could be done for those seeking a pup. Assemble some of the great posts giving them information about BYBs, health testing, etc. etc., along with information about rescuing and sites like Petfinder.

happycats
March 6th, 2005, 10:48 AM
I don't think we should encourage breeding of any kind, responsible or not !

As long as healthy pets are being PTS on a regular basis, I don't consider any breeding responsible!

As I mentioned in another thread, unless dogs and cats are on the endangered species list, there should be "no" breeding.

I know I might get flamed for the above, but that's my opinion :evil:

greaterdane
March 6th, 2005, 11:41 AM
I dont think we need it. Responisible breeders are just what their name says.... responsible, no forum needed to discuss them. It might just influence the BYBS...

twinmommy
March 6th, 2005, 11:44 AM
As long as healthy pets are being PTS on a regular basis, I don't consider any breeding responsible!

I agree with Happycats on this one. We even have many breed specific rescues for those who are interested in a special breed.

I'm afraid threads like that would only bring the kind of breeders that we DON'T want, the kinds that post now and make us freak out and pound our keyboards!! :rolleyes: Even if we could educate ONE person as a result of a "flame" it would be worth it, but most often the OP is long gone and we are all still fuming.

I would, on the other hand, like to see a new forum that would involve giving more help to rescues. What about kind of a "bulletin board" of miscellaneous. I know the adoptions themselves have their own forum as does transport, but those of you in rescue KNOW you do a lot more, right? This idea came to me from LilRicky's mom when she posted for someone to go do a home visit for her--a lot of us honestly don't have the time to dedicate as you rescue angels do, but could climb on board as a "Temp" so to speak. ;)

What say you??

happycats
March 6th, 2005, 12:05 PM
Thanks twinmommy :o (Ithought I was going to be flamed)

And I also love Twinmommy's suggestion, about helping out rescues !!
I think it's great idea !! :)
I would rather help out a rescue, then help someone trying to breed thier dog or cat ! :eek: