Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

The hair is EVERYWHERE!!!!

Flyinby
February 28th, 2005, 11:52 AM
Hello,
Just a question: I have a male husky X named Kain and he just turned 3 this month. The problem is that the last 4 months or so he has been shedding like CRAZY. It is to the point where it is unbareable. I brush him every day and vacuum every day...The hair is everywhere. I called our vet and they said not to worry that it is just the time of year. I don't remember him shedding this much ever. Is this normal? I almost want to take him to the groomers and have his hair shaved off!! (Just joking) Help!! Any suggestions? PS-still working with the people down south to get Cuddles to NS!!

nymph
February 28th, 2005, 02:40 PM
You can get a irobot roomba - robotic vacuum cleaner.
http://www.irobot.com/images/dyn/products/heroImage/Roomba_Discovery_LG.jpg
I heard that it works well on pet hair.

melanie
February 28th, 2005, 02:57 PM
i have a 9yo german shep X who has shed so much hair over the past 9 years you would think the EPA would consider it an environmental hazard :D . huskies have a double coat like the GS to i think, apparently shedding worse with the double coat.

sorry to say that brushing and vacuming daily is the best thing for it, although i have recently heard of a professional groming machine called the 'FURINATOR' that really is the name, they claim to remove all shedding hair but it would last only a day around here.

you can get some good groming tools that make the job a bit easier such as the hair brush mits. i use a horse grooming tool and it works like magic, i used brushes for years with no success. the tool i have is a oval shaped disk that is the size of my hand. it has a strap over the back to hold it to your hand and it has serrated plastic teeth along one side, that plastic really drags out the deep hair. i find burshes just make it neat, not come out..

have you considered training your dog to be vacumed, im serious, a man i met recently has done it and it makes his life so much easier, unfortunatly having a 9yo girl she is not willing to learn that new trick bvut your pup may jsut be up for it and it would really be great for the future, but if i get as pup again i certainly will do it.

you also mention this season shedding being the worst( i recently said that exact thing to a friend), there are many contributing factors. for example- we are having a wild old summer at the moment, climate change has drastically altered many seaseons and the consistancy of seasons ie. here at the moment it will be 44deg celcius and 20 two days later, so my dogs body is confused by the great changes and thus is a bit freaked out so continously shed and regrows. this can occur with slight temperature changes such as a uncharacteristic 5degree drop and then back to normal the next day, it basically confuses their systems and they think the season is changing this occurs in cold weather too.

health can be a factor but for a normal healthy animla it should not be such a big concern.

another major factor is biorythms. with indoor dogs or dogs that sleep in the house, they are subject to longer light periods than a wild animal (domestic dogs physical systems have not evolved far from the wild dog) in nature they would have from sun down to sun up in the dark, now even though your dog may be asleep that time is greatly reduced (even though your dog is not awake or looking at the light their sensors and physical systems do detect the light) and of course our modern dogs coats are getting confused again, the light patterns in nature depict the season and the body flows with that, when the light exposure times are changed so is the dogs ability to judge and alter to the seasons, thus the dogs body thinks the seasons are changing dramatically and fast and there we see the excess shed as a coping mechanism (i do try and send her to her bedroom early before humans but no, the dogs too stubborn and wants to watch tv).

sorry it was long, but it is a very interesting concept and area of study, it happens to humans as well, just not so dramatically (eg seasonal depression and eating out of season foods may have strong links here), hope that helps, anbd although i offer no real solution, it helps you to accept the situation and understand it :D :thumbs up .

maddoxies
February 28th, 2005, 04:58 PM
Your location is not posted, but I can tell you that this winter has been really bad for shedding in the colder climates. We have had such temperature swings that the poor animals aren't sure what is going on. Everyone I have talked to is having the same problem.

Dogs normally "blow coat" in the spring and fall, but this ongoing shedding seems to be a wide spread issue this winter. Sorry, I can"t offer much more than that

glasslass
February 28th, 2005, 05:27 PM
Shedding? Sorry, don't know what that is! :p Nanner ! Nanner !

:sorry: Couldn't resist!

Seriously though, this weekend my mom and I sat in my brother's backseat with his Akita between us. I had hair all over me! :eek:

Flyinby
February 28th, 2005, 08:37 PM
Thank you guys for the info,, I got a good laugh out of it! Ha ha..Our joke around here is "What's for supper? Hair again?" Ha ha.. I like the roomba idea I told my hubby I wanted one for Xmas.. We live in NS and the enviromental thing makes sense for sure. I have every kind of brush on the market. The best for him by far is called a "Zoom groom" made by Kong.. the same company that makes those awsome rubber Kongs.
When I vacuum he runs away, I think he can read my mind. He knows I want to grab him and suck the hair off :) Just a tip: Plain old rubber gloves work WONDERS on couches, beds, car seats, etc. All the places any sane husky (or shepard) owner wouldn't dream of letting their dog near! We just love him soo!! ha ha. :ca: Thanks everyone!!!

meowzart
February 28th, 2005, 10:23 PM
try a double rake - it really helps get the undercoat fluff out

Bearsmom
March 1st, 2005, 07:51 AM
I call the shedding the "rot". Sometimes it drives me nuts, but that's one of those things that comes with owning a hairy dog. We use one of those flat paddle head brushes with the thin wires (totally not explaining it properly), it pulls out most of the hair, and on the positive side, you can almost make another pet from the shedded ones.....

Lise
March 1st, 2005, 08:06 AM
Shedding HA HA,Our guys are all shedding like mad.I use a blower on them every couple of weeks which helps a bit.It's all part of sharing your life with our fuzzy friends.We've got three shedding dogs ,two himalayan cats,four rexes, as well as Hawkeye and Oscar our two greys who think flinging things of the top of thier cages is hilarious!!We also have guinea pigs,rabbits,degus and rats so we have wood chips and stuff.I vacumm every day with a shop vac,since normal vacumm have a short life expectancy here.Oh well It's never dull or lonely around here,even if my kids think furry butter is normal!!

happycats
March 1st, 2005, 08:14 AM
My aunt had a dog that shed like crazy, she brushed him every day, and saved the hair. When she had enough saved up, ,she had the hair woven (or whatever they do to turn it into thread, ,maybe spun) and made a beautiful sweater ot of it !!
(sounds strange I know, but the sweater was beautiful, and when the dog "Leon" passed on she had this sweater to hold and feel and cry into, she said it truly helped her with the mourning process)

chico2
March 1st, 2005, 08:16 AM
Well,with three cats my best friend is my Swiffer,also over the years,we got rid of all carpeting,couches and chairs made of fabric :evil: leather is a hairy petowners(the pet not the owner :D )only solution,it's great to use the Swiffer-Duster to clean the hair off the couches.
Many years ago I had a CollieX and giant fur-balls seemed to grow out of the carpet :D
The cats are not that bad,but although I am definetly not an obcessed clean-freak,I seem to be permanently attached to the Swiffer..

happycats
March 1st, 2005, 08:19 AM
Chico2, we were considering leather furniture to, but I did not think cats and leather would go well together (All my cats have claws) :eek:

chico2
March 1st, 2005, 08:31 AM
Happycats,I can honestly say,the reason we got leather was because of the cats destroying anything else.All my cats have their claws,declawing has never been a consideration and never will :evil:
I recommend leather to any cat-owners,cats,at least mine...do not scratch leather,another material is Ultra-Suede(fake suede)I have a sectional in my den and the cats also don't scratch that,cats like to scratch material where they can get a good hold.
Also leather and Ultra-Suede is super easy to keep clean,the Utra-Suede sectional cleans with just soap and water,the best buy we ever did!!
Believe me,over the years we've been through several sofa-sets in fabric,but leather rocks!!!still looks like new after several years!

happycats
March 1st, 2005, 08:35 AM
OMG I never knew that, I always thought they would put holes in the leather ! I know they have killed a few leather jackets !
My cats always jump on the arms of my couch, and if they are unbalanced they dig thier claws in :eek: wouldn't they still do this with leather ?

chico2
March 1st, 2005, 08:43 AM
I think it depends on the quality of the leather,a soft supple leather will not give that easily.I have a few scratches from their"crazy"moments,when they fly through the house,but no holes..Hubbies recliner is made of rawhide the toughest leather yet.
It is an investment,but well worth it!

meowzart
March 1st, 2005, 11:06 AM
I have six cats and all leather furniture - never have fabric again. No holes in my leather either.

happycats
March 1st, 2005, 11:26 AM
OMG this is great, going to have to start saving for leather furniture :D

Flyinby
March 1st, 2005, 12:45 PM
I have a leather set and an ultra-suede set. The ultra suede is REALLY easy to clean up and durable. The leather one the hair just gets in between the cracks and instead of clinging on the cushions, it clings to your butt when you sit down! ha ha. It's a lost cause, really. :)

chico2
March 1st, 2005, 01:10 PM
Flyinby,yes,when we bought the Ultra-suede sectional for my den(a very much used area)I had no idea how practical it was and mine is a light sand colour :eek: but it's a dream to clean and no cat-designs :D

Flyinby
March 1st, 2005, 01:15 PM
Aren't they nice? Mine is cream too! We looked for a sectional but couldn't find one.. Lucky you! I will never buy another type..atleast as long as we have Kain! 10 years left atleast..ha ha. Your cats will live longer..maybe even outlive your sectional! :)

wjranch
March 4th, 2005, 06:41 AM
although shedding as just a part of living with pets, you can do something about it.
I have found it is directly connected to the food you feed. What do you feed the dog?
and you can take him to the groomer's to have him 'carded'. They kinda back comb the coat to remove dead undercoat (cause that's what is being shed) It helps.
I have a shep/mix and she was shedding insane amounts of hair. I was vacumming and swiffering twice a day at least! I changed her food to Nutro Natural Choice for Large Breeds and her shedding is almost non-existent now! Even at this time of year, when seasonal shedding really begins. AND as an added plus, she smells better and her coat and eyes have a new shine to them.
Good Luck with your rescue dog! :)

Flyinby
March 4th, 2005, 11:50 AM
Hi, I didn't know that either! He is VERY picky with what he eats. He have had him on very expensive food, cheap food, soft food mixed with crunchy food, the raw food diet (BARF) now he is on puppy food after our vet suggested it. He said that the puppy food has a higher fat content..Kain is very skinny..One time when we were jogging in the park an obvious animal lover stopped me and asked "where did you rescue your dog from, He's soo skinny" She got very upset and I am sure that she thought I was starving my dog... I don't think so. Anyways, That is interesting... The is a livestock supplier accross the street from us sells this food that they claim is "all natural" and if your dog doen't like it they will give you your money back. I will have to try it. I read something here someone said about the first 5 ingredients should be chicken??? Something like that. Any suggestions?

WeeZee
March 6th, 2005, 07:08 AM
I am in Nova Scotia and yup, shedding shedding, shedding! LOL
I have not put my vacuum cleaner away since we got Cookie. It is usually a twice a day run around the livingroom and kitchen carpets - and she spends 75% of her day outdoors - lol.

Even though I give them a good shake, the dog hair that my washing machine catches with her bedding is a concern. I wash her flanellette sheets once a week (depends on how much mud she broght in) & am hoping I won't have a cliogging issue.

We have protective blankets on all of the living room furniture and in our SUV - this sure helps things. The slip covers in the van are covered in it and it has been too cold to go out there to housekeep, so if we are going anywhere where sporadic dog hair is not the fashion, we have to throw a blanet over the seat. :p

I was told that my husky will shed at least twice a year, based on the weather.

WeeZee
March 6th, 2005, 07:11 AM
Nymph
Great idea ... do you know where a Canadian could get one of those?
I saw one on tv and thought "perfect"

My pooch tries to eat the standup vaccum while I am harvesting the caret (just waiting for her tounge to get a beater-bar whack :( )

... off to Google irobot roomba

meowzart
March 6th, 2005, 11:52 AM
i saw the robot vacuum at sears!

WeeZee
March 6th, 2005, 04:14 PM
cool, thanks meowzart ... I will look there

I would prefer a tall drink of water named Sven to do this while I lounge and eat grapes, but this is a close second!

Flyinby
March 6th, 2005, 05:01 PM
Does anyone know roughly how much they cost? Don't they just go around and around in each room bumping into stuff?

WeeZee
March 6th, 2005, 05:36 PM
I googled and came up with this site ... http://www.onrobo.com/reviews/At_Home/Vacuum_Cleaners/
Electrolux Trilobite Robotic Vacuum is $1,799.95
Orazio Robotic Vacuums $1299 - $1799
Roomba Discovery SE Robotic Floor Vac is just $269.95

... lots of research to do before my first purchase!

and, yup, they bounce around from object to object

glasslass
March 6th, 2005, 06:32 PM
I read a consumers report that these things have a lot to be desired. Most of us don't have the ideal environments for them to operate in. It would disappear in my home and never be seen for ever more!

Karin
March 6th, 2005, 08:07 PM
I read a consumers report that these things have a lot to be desired. Most of us don't have the ideal environments for them to operate in. It would disappear in my home and never be seen for ever more!

A "evil suck machine" by remote would only terrorize Ciara to her grave.

I would love one too but pet friendly it is not...

Can you picture this with your pet, home alone?

wjranch
March 6th, 2005, 09:39 PM
Roomba vaccums can be bought in Canada at either Walmart or Canadian Tire. I have seen them for around 200$ Cdn.
They leave alot to be desired if you have carpet in your home though. And they have a very small collection tray, they need to be emptied often.
They really aren't meant for pet owners :(

What I have resorted to in my home is this..... all carpet - GONE! I have installed laminated wood flooring throughout the entire house! (did it myself) roughly 1600 sqft total and worth all the work (was relativly cheap too compared to carpeting that much space)

Nice things about my new flooring - quick sweep with swiffer takes care of hair (from 2 dogs!)
- almost indesctructible floors..no scratching from dog claws (did i mention 2 LARGE dogs?)
- keep mop handy with fresh water every day to 'touch up' puppy prints when they come indoors from yard (did i mention muddy puppy feet from 2 large dogs?)
- my house is now worth more money due to 'hardwood' look of floors, and wearability of the product I used.
- daugher with asthma also benefits from no carpet in the house. :D

happycats
March 6th, 2005, 10:08 PM
We wanted to get laminate flooring for our whole house as well.
Just wondering, how do the dogs walk on it??
I have heard some people say their dog can't walk on these floors (to slippery) also that dogs slip and fall alot on these floors, is this true?

Prin
March 6th, 2005, 10:35 PM
Shedding can also be due to stress-- I always thought when I was little that the less time you spend with your dog, the more he sheds so you'll find his hair and remember him more often.

I'd go with the food thing though. Constant heavy shedding is usually not due to seasonal changes. Normal sheddy dogs shed a full coat two to four times per year. Food allergies can cause anything from shedding to tumors reactions. I'd change the food for food with main ingredients he's never had before and wait about 3 months to see (long time, I know...).

There is a lady at our dog park with a husky samoyed mix and she has hair in her FREEZER!!! :eek: (I only get a bit in the fridge).

wjranch
March 6th, 2005, 10:41 PM
I live in a townhouse so on one floor I have roughly 650-700 sqft.. small place right? Now add a 6yr old shep/dobe mix female and a 7 MONTH old dobe male puppy!!

They learn to slow down for the corners :D they walk just fine, I can send video if you like.. The puppy did do a couple of 'Bambi' impressions while learning how to jump off the couch, but, he learned how to without getting hurt.
You can put down runner rugs (rubber backed) to assist them if you like in higher traffic areas....
I think it would also depend alot on the breed as well... the shep/dobe mix has 'winter slippers' as she has a double coat... the pup, well, he has a single coat so goes 'barefoot'. :)

Prin
March 6th, 2005, 11:35 PM
I go to the park after ice storms and freezing rain only because my dogs do so well on slippery surfaces that I have trouble on. Dogs are used to adapting to new challenges... I don't think laminate floors will be their demise.. :)

Writing4Fun
March 7th, 2005, 07:20 AM
Just wondering, how do the dogs walk on it??
I have heard some people say their dog can't walk on these floors (to slippery) also that dogs slip and fall alot on these floors, is this true? They adapt just fine (they're a lot smarter than we give them credit for ;) ). We have parquet in the bedrooms, ceramic tile in the kitchen and bathroom and laminate everywhere else. Our pup has what WJR referred to as "winter slippers" :p so she does occasionally slide around when she gets into hyper play mode. For the most part, though, she has learned to slow down in the house.

chico2
March 7th, 2005, 07:39 AM
I too have laminate flooring and tiles in the kitchen,area-rugs all over the house...when the 3 cats get the"crazies"area-rugs are flying :D
My house has old hard-wood flooring throughout,but rather than refinish it we placed laminate on top,best thing we ever did...does not scratch,12 sets of clawed paws,would do a lot of damage to regular hardwood..

doggy lover
March 7th, 2005, 07:30 PM
Welcome to the world of pet ownership, my last dog a bernese mountain dog x german shepherd shed like crazy especially in the spring, and guess what spring is comming believe it or not. I think I could have made a new dog everytime I brushed him. One of those vaccumes would not have helped it would have died the first week. I could get one to drive Tucker crazy though, I don't know who would be herding who. lol

happycats
March 7th, 2005, 07:45 PM
chico2 I to have solid oak floors, that have been refinished twice in 6 years !!
Thats why we want to put laminate right over it.
We will pull the laminate up ane refinish the Oak again if we are ever without pets (like thats ever going to happen :crazy: )Basically we will never see the Oak again! ;)
I couldn't imagine my home without a 4 legged furry friend (or 5) hanging around! :D

veenla
May 20th, 2005, 02:58 AM
I have 4 cats, all of which find a great need to sprawl all over my bed and pillows. The shedding this year is so bad that I'm about to cough up a fur ball! I tried everything imaginable to get rid of the fur and found until recently that the Gonzo sponge was the best.... that's until I discovered the rubber squeegee! I tell you, it's amazing. It gathers up every bit of fur with very little effort and bunches it in a nice ball for you. I also discovered that using one of those new silicone potholders works just as well if not better. It takes fur off clothes and draperies in no time flat. Hmmm, maybe I should try wiping the cats down with it!

SnowDancer
May 20th, 2005, 10:48 AM
My 13 month Eskimo has never officially blown his coat - groomer had to do it for him to thin out his double layer of furry hair. When I brush him very little comes out. BUT, I find wisps of hair along the baseboards, under the bed etc. - liking blowing tumbleweeds. Most of my clothes were black - now I think they are tweed. My friend just adopted a Husky/Shepherd cross with emphasis on the Husky fur - she is finding lots of hair as well. Her other dog is a short hair - who she thought shedded. I thought same with the little hairs from my passed away short-haird Dachshunds. Puts those short hairs in perspective. I wouldn't recommend the Roomba either - for sure my dog would have to attack it as some sore of creature.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
May 20th, 2005, 10:24 PM
I found using a lint brush the kind with with red velvetty end on it that turns when you flick the switch worked pretty good at getting rid of the pet hair especially when you dont want to vacuum twice a day.

iRONKNiGHT
May 20th, 2005, 10:36 PM
too much critter hair? fur?
do like me.. just leave it right there and when it pile's up enough.. just make a wooly sweater..
PS: works best with cat fur
here's a sample

kandy
May 21st, 2005, 02:26 PM
I don't know about all of you, but in my house dog hair is a condiment! :D Seriously, I thought that my coyote shed more than any dog ever, but then we got Newfies! :D I could have a hat made once a week during the spring and summer. Best thing for fabric furniture is to spray it with an anti-static product or rub it down with a fabric softner sheet. Makes the hair let loose so you can vaccuum it up easier. I also would never have a rumba vaccuum - I've only heard a couple of people say they like it and lots that say they don't. It's batteries apparently don't last very long, so it actually spends more time docked in its charger than cleaning. As far as the hardwood or laminate floors - I know that the newfs love em for sleeping, but they slip something terrible on them. I do know some people whose dog had to have hip surgery after crashing and burning on a tile floor. The newfs grow hair between their pads on the bottom of the feet and even with keeping it clipped, they still slip easily. They can't hardly sit on a tile floor because their feet will keep slipping.