Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Is the biting just a game?

L'il Frankie
February 28th, 2005, 11:59 AM
Our cat is very friendly, and not overly shy. When I pet her, she's quite good, but after a minute or two, she'll swat a couple of times (usually without the claws), and lunge to bite my hand. When she bites me, though, she just sort of puts her mouth on my hand with no pressure, and then starts licking. She dosen't do this at all to my girlfriend, so I'm thinking it's nothing but a game. Is this common?

Also, whenever we eat anything with cheese on it, she'll become "curious". Is a little bit of cheese bad for a cat?

raingirl
February 28th, 2005, 12:07 PM
You know what's funny? My dog does that too.

We will be petting him, he will lay down and role on his back, act all nice, then just lunge at our hands for no reason. He doesn't bite so much as "knaw" and suck on our fingers...it's really weird.

Lucky Rescue
February 28th, 2005, 12:15 PM
WE just adopted out a big male cat who did the same thing! He grabs hands, arms, legs, and pretends to bite and bunnykick with all his might, but never leaves a single mark.

I'd been working with him to stop that. The instant he would go for my hand or grab it, I would freeze and loudly say "AH AH!!" when he let go, I would resume petting him.

These cats get overstimulated very easily, so if you don't like it, try petting slowly and stop before an "attack". Of course, if it doesn't bother you, carry on!!:p

As to the cheese, many cats love it and it's fine for treats.

meowzart
February 28th, 2005, 04:27 PM
Some cats can't handle the stimulation and they may be telling you 'that's enough petting.' I am a firm believer that cats should NOT be allowed to bite hands - it leads to behavior problems. When she/he bites say a sharp 'no' or hiss. That she is 'soft biting' and then turning to licking is a good sign - she's learning/learned that she shouldn't bite - just don't let her start.

Lucky - what you describe is what I call 'hand wrestling'. As kittens we use this to teach 'soft mouths' - with a sharp 'NO' when they use their teeth or a blow in the face. I don't allow kittens to do this with their teeth, as they may grow into biters, but when they are older I do, and what's funny is that my cats will hand wrestle my hubby when he rubs their tummy, but if its me, they just start to lick me. LOL

The belly is the most vulnerable part of the cat, and it is instinct to 'protect' it.