Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My puppy is throwing up...

BeagleMum
February 28th, 2005, 08:48 AM
I took Spencer (14 week old Beagle) to the dog park on Saturday. He was trying to eat a lot of sticks. I took as many away from him as I could but I am sure that he actually was able to eat some.

Saturday night through the night, he started throwing up (well making the noises but nothing came up). All day on Sunday, he was fine. He ate, drank, and went to the bathroom like normal. Then again last night through the night he woke up throwing up again. This time, he actually got stuff up but it mainly just looked like phlegm.

Would it be the sticks that are making him sick for this long or is it possible that he has a stomach bug (his eyes have been running a bit in the last couple of days as well). I am not sure if I should be calling my vet or waiting it out for another couple of days.

GunnerX
February 28th, 2005, 08:59 AM
You'll find that puppies do this quite often. It's mainly because they like to eat everything as they are quite curious. Also, puppies have quite sensitive stomachs so a lot of things will make them throw up. Unless he's constantly throwing up, i don't think there's anything to worry about. However, if you absolutely want to be safe, you can always take him to the vet. :)

Princesss04
February 28th, 2005, 10:30 AM
Has he started any of his shots yet? :D

BeagleMum
February 28th, 2005, 02:41 PM
He has had all of his shots already. He went for the 1st ones at 9 weeks and then the next ones at 12.5 weeks. He is done now for a year. I wouldn't have been bringing him to the park if he didn't have them.

Karin
February 28th, 2005, 08:50 PM
He has had all of his shots already. He went for the 1st ones at 9 weeks and then the next ones at 12.5 weeks. He is done now for a year. I wouldn't have been bringing him to the park if he didn't have them.

Poor puppy! At 14 weeks of age, he is far from being protected.

You do not understand how vaccines work do you?

Lizzie
February 28th, 2005, 09:08 PM
I thought they got three sets of shots..their final being around 4-6 months of age...is this not right?

raingirl
February 28th, 2005, 09:21 PM
Yeah. I beleive there are usualy 3 sets of shots. I don't think rabies comes until a dog is older. I dunno...that's just what I read. Different shots are needed for different places, depends on where you live...

theplainsjane
February 28th, 2005, 09:25 PM
Puppies get three or four rounds of vaccinations, depending on the "rules" where you live. Mine have always had four, starting whenever I've gotten them. For example, Ellie didn't get her first shots until she was 12 weeks old. She got a set every four weeks after that--at 16, 20 and 24 weeks. At 24 weeks/six months she was also spayed and x-rayed to find out if she had healthy hips.

Here is an excerpt that I found online regarding a puppy vaccination schedule. I got this from this website. (http://www.vetinfo4dogs.com/dogvacc.html)

Most veterinarians suggest beginning the vaccination series at 6 weeks of age. With the new vaccines available now, it should take three vaccinations spaced about 3 weeks apart to ensure vaccine success in most puppies. A convenient schedule is then 6, 9 and 12 weeks of age. While it may not be as necessary with the new vaccines, a cautious approach would be to vaccinate one more time at 16 weeks of age, too.

In all states, rabies vaccinations are required by law. The first rabies vaccination is good for one year. In many states subsequent vaccinations are good for three years. In other states, they are only valid for one year by law. Please check with your vet to determine the legal requirements in your state. Vaccinating your pet for rabies may literally save its life for two reasons. Rabies is a threat in many areas and it is a horrible disease. In addition, an unvaccinated pet who bites a human being, even by accident, is subject to long quarantine periods or even death for the purpose of testing for rabies infection. Don't risk your pet's life. Get its rabies vaccination.

It is extremely important to vaccinate puppies and kittens successfully for several diseases. This is the time that they are most likely to contract many of the diseases which we vaccinate for. Early protection can prevent the heartbreak of dealing with parvovirus in a puppy or feline leukemia in a kitten. Please contact your vet and work with him or her to establish and follow a good vaccination schedule for your pediatric pet! A series of vaccinations is given in the hopes of protecting all puppies and kittens as early as possible but continuing to vaccinate until all patients are protected.

Distemper

Distemper vaccination is important for all puppies. This disease is still present in
most areas and it is still hard to treat successfully. Even when a puppy is nursed through the acute phase of the disease there can be long term health problems.
The most common of these is a tendency to develop seizures.

Adenovirus Type 2

This virus causes a form of kennel cough and also protects against hepatitis in dogs. This is fortunate because there were more vaccine reactions using the hepatitis virus itself , even in a weakened state. While viral hepatitis is not as common as it once was in dogs, it has not been eliminated as a threat.

Leptospirosis

This is actually a bacterial disease, so the protective "vaccination" is actually a "bacterin". In many areas of the country, this disease is not common and the leptospirosis portion of the vaccine combinations is thought to be the most common cause of reactions. For this reason, many veterinarians no longer include it in their vaccination recommendations, IF they practice in an area in which it is not common. Your vet can tell you whether or not it is necessary in your area.

Parainfluenza

Parainfluenza must be an inexpensive virus to include in vaccines. It is in almost all the combination vaccines even though it is probably only a minor contributor to the problem of tracheobronchitis (kennel cough) in dogs. Vaccine reactions to this virus seem rare.

Parvovirus

Parvovirus is probably the most common viral illness of dogs at the present time. It is much more common in puppies than it is in adult dogs. It can be very hard to successfully vaccinate a puppy for this disease because the antibody protection the puppy acquires from its mother can interfere with vaccination. It is important to vaccinate puppies every three to four weeks for this virus starting at 6 weeks of age and continuing until they are at least 16 weeks of age and preferably 20 weeks of age. It is possible that this vaccine confers lifelong immunity once it does work but most veterinarians continue to recommend yearly vaccination for it. It seems prudent to at least get the vaccination at one year of age. Since it is combined with the other vaccines it is often easier just to give it yearly with them.

Coronavirus

Coronavirus may cause viral diarrhea and may make fatality from parvovirus more likely if the infections occur concurrently. On the other hand, this virus causes minimal damage to the intestines and may not cause clinical illness on its own. It just depends on whose studies you believe. Personally, I do not recommend the use of coronavirus vaccine.

Bordetella

Bordetella is the most common cause of tracheobronchitis (kennel cough) in dogs. It is a bacterial illness that is most common among dogs that congregate at things like shows, kennels or other places frequented by large numbers of dogs at once. It does not appear that this bacterin gives a full year of immunity in many instances. For dogs that are often exposed to situations in which the infection is likely probably should be vaccinated twice a year. There are intranasal as well as subcutaneous bacterins available for this disease. The intra-nasal bacterin confers immunity more quickly but the injectable version may last longer.

Lyme disease (Borrelia)

Lyme disease is caused by a bacterial organism, Borrelia burgdorferi . It is carried by Ixodes species of ticks and may have other tick or insect carriers. It is more common in some areas of the United States than in others. Your vet can tell you whether it is necessary to protect against this disease in your area.
There is a new Lyme bacterin on the market that Rhone-Merieux has produced using recombinant gene techniques. This bacterin only uses a portion of the bacteria which the body defenses recognize and form antibodies against. Because the whole Lyme bacteria is not present, it appears that there will not be the problem of the vaccine causing symptoms of Lyme disease. In addition, this bacterin does have a validated one year duration of immunity. It is a new product and like all new products there is a period when everyone looks hard for previously unknown reactions but if "vaccination" against Lyme disease seems necessary in your area, I'd definitely use this one.

Grover, you have made some really responsible choices regarding Spencer. Most vets definitely suggest waiting until your puppy has had at least two rounds of shots before taking him to the dog park. It is also really good that you supervise him closely, even in an off leash environment. I hope you keep making responsible choices. Check with your vet and make sure that Spencer gets any and all vaccinations that he requires. He should get another round of shots four weeks from now, and then another round when he is neutered.

Karin
February 28th, 2005, 10:31 PM
I disagree. No pup is considered "protected" until 3 or more weeks AFTER the last vaccination.

People are given a false sense of security by believing once a vax is administered, the dog is safe. Hogwash....anyone who believes that does not understand how vaccines work.

I have dealt with parvo more times than I care to count. It pains me dearly to see people exposing animals that are not protected...mainly because they want to "parade" them because they are cute. They are still cute to me when I take care of them, hooked up to an IV line and blowing squirts from both ends...praying that they can survive just one more day.

'Nuf said...this burns my biscuit.

twodogsandacat
February 28th, 2005, 10:45 PM
All I can say is: Ask to get the kennel cough done as most vets don't automatically do it. Then remember it is only good for six months - six months only.

A dog came with to the dog park on Saturday with Kennel cough. Sunday only half the dogs showed up. Monday my first dog threw up, the next day the other dog, the day after that a co-workers dog.

The next weekend we went without the dogs just to pass the word. Nearly every dog had it. Nearly all.

It's bad and it spreads like wildfire.

theplainsjane
February 28th, 2005, 10:59 PM
I wasn't trying to say that puppies were fully protected after their second round of shots. Sorry if I came across that way. I didn't intend to. My vet said to wait at least until after the second round of shots had been administered to take her to the park. Perhaps I was just naive. I didn't have any other way to socialize her to other dogs and think that's important to do at a young age. Anyway, my hope was to communicate to Grover4 that his puppy *isn't* fully vaccinated at this point and that Chester must go to the vet and have his vaccination series completed. I also hoped to communicate to Grover4 that he seemed to be committed to properly vaccinating his puppy, but was uneducated as to what was really involved--however, the fact that the puppy had already been twice (and that he was posting here) indicated to me that he wanted his puppy to receive proper medical care. I would hate to spread misinformation...I apologize if I came across that way.

Princesss04
February 28th, 2005, 11:09 PM
We are in the middle or ALL of Chino's shots and he will have three sets. He has had two. But he will not have his final ones and than his rabbi shots until another month. And than the vet told me not to have him around any dogs that I was not sure was UTD until a month later. So we have not been to the park pr anything with him yet. We will not even travel with him because he will have to stop and go potty and we are not sure what animal has went were. (etc.) So anyway we have to have three sets of shots and than wait a month later because puppies catch things so easy when they are little. And they are not protected until they have had ALL their SHOTS!

BeagleMum
March 1st, 2005, 10:52 AM
Well, I have to say that I was more than insulted to read that you people think I am "parading" Spencer around because he is cute. That is not the point here. I have read on THIS site that the most important time to socialize your puppy is the first 16 to 18 weeks and that was the whole point of me going to the dog park. Not so that I can show him off.

Now, as for not being around any other dogs at all, I have him in Puppy Class and there are dogs there who are even younger than him. Why would they even start a class for puppies who are not supposed to be near each other?

I will be contacting my vet to find out if he needs to be going for another set of shots but after our last visit, I was under the impression that the next step was to get him fixed between 5 and 6 months.

I really do not appreciate everyone jumping down my throat here, especially you Karin. I have been going by what I have been told by my vet. I would never put my dog at risk on purpose. I am not one of those people that you are referring to. I live each day trying to find new and exciting things for him to do. Every thought that I have had is about this dog. He is one of the most important things in my life. You can just back off a little and stop accusing people of things when you don't know a thing about them.

Princesss04
March 1st, 2005, 10:55 AM
Ever vet is differant maybe your vet only does two sets of shots. Talk to your vet and see what he/she says and go from there. How is your baby doing today. I mean with the upset tummy and all. :D

BeagleMum
March 1st, 2005, 11:03 AM
As for his tummy, he is fine. By the time I got home last night he was rining around the house like a crazy man (he gets a little hyper). He was fine all night, didn't throw up at all. Must have been the sticks.

sammiec
March 1st, 2005, 11:08 AM
Grover, at 5 months of age we were taking Briggs to the off leash park. I remember that by ths point she had all her shots - that was three rounds... rabies is in the last set. Then you're supposed to wait for a couple weeks before the exposure to new dogs/ animals. THEN at 6 months they can be fixed.

I trust that your puppy is smaller then that... therefore I would try and avoid the dog park until the rabies shot is complete. For that you should have another round of shots! For now, to socialize the dog you can go for walks in the neighbourhood, you can go to parks in the area where children and adults are... they will LOVE to pet the puppy... you can get it out to busy areas with lots of different noises to familiarize the puppy with those sounds - do this in moderation though...

as for the sticks... Briggs liked to eat them, and pine cones, they would upet her tummy as well. Just make sure that they are getting enough water and food.. then at your next vet visit, make sure you talk to them about it. Teaching simple commands such as "leave it" and "drop it" can help prevent the upset tummies! :)

BeagleMum
March 1st, 2005, 11:14 AM
Spencer has already had his rabies shot, he got it with his last round when we went to the vet. That was over 2 weeks ago.

Oh and in case anyone is concerned, I never let him off leash at the dog park. He is always within 6 feet of me.

Wouldn't want anyone to think that I am an irresponsible mother.

sammiec
March 1st, 2005, 11:17 AM
IN my opinon, when you go to the off leash park, you should not leave your dog on the leash. If another dog was to be rough and scare him this could lead to fear aggression while teathered (on leash). It's best if you release the dog and let him submit to the larger dogs and get sniffed. If he appears scared or nervous don't cuddle him and pick him up. That will teach him that his fearful response is good and that's what you want him to do.

Hope you guys have fun!

Grover, please don't think that everyone is trying to attack you. We are trying to help.

sammiec
March 1st, 2005, 11:21 AM
Welcome to the board Thoros... why don't you introduce yourself??

sammiec
March 1st, 2005, 11:24 AM
And that makes the situation better how? :)

http://www.lockandkeypartyuk.co.uk/lock.jpg

I think this thread's reached it's end now... dog ate sticks....the dog barfed... it's not anymore...everything's ok...

BeagleMum
March 1st, 2005, 11:33 AM
[QUOTE=sammiec]IN my opinon, when you go to the off leash park, you should not leave your dog on the leash. If another dog was to be rough and scare him this could lead to fear aggression while teathered (on leash). It's best if you release the dog and let him submit to the larger dogs and get sniffed. If he appears scared or nervous don't cuddle him and pick him up. That will teach him that his fearful response is good and that's what you want him to do.

FYI, in case you are not familiar with the Beagle breed, they are scent dogs. They are known for running away. If they catch a scent, they will follow it until they find what they are looking for. I am not going to take the risk of losing my puppy.

I am not the only one at the park who had a dog on leash, there are a bunch of trails that you can walk your dog on.

Spencer was a bit timid the first time that I brought him there but he has gotten a lot better. He actually goes up to the other dogs now to play with them. I absolutely do not pick him up in a scary situation, as long as he is not being hurt. He never wanted me to pick him up anyway, he is more interested in having his nose to the ground.

BMDLuver
March 1st, 2005, 11:37 AM
appears the pot is calling the kettle black.

Trinitie
March 1st, 2005, 11:42 AM
Enough.

If you chose to continue this "discussion" in another thread, please do so without the "tit for tat" attitude.