Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cats

lilith_rizel
February 28th, 2005, 06:20 AM
Well, we are in our new home now, and we have notice two cats outside. They don't seem to have homes. The hide in the drains on the side of the roads, and are deathly afraid of human contact. I set out cat food last night, along with some Whisker Lickin's treats. Checked to see if they ate any at 1 am, hubby checked again at 5, and they were eating, but ran away when he opened the door to check the food. Atleast we are having better luck with these cats then we were at the other house. We plan catching them, taking them to the vet to have them checked out and to see if they know if they have an owner. And if they don't know, we are going to take them home, and adopt them. I just feel so mad that people just keep their cats outside, so much that they end up not having a home, because when the family leaves, they don't bother waiting for the cat, and then they are homeless. Poor things. We have alot of that around here. Another common thing is, They will have a indoor only cat, and then they have to move, and all they do is put the cat outside, and leave it....... How cruel. :mad:

chico2
February 28th, 2005, 08:32 AM
Yes Lilith,it's sad and very cruel,some peole should be strung up and...... :evil:
You are doing a good thing feeding them,at least with a full tummy,they have a better chance surviving and maybe slowly you can gain their confidence,it seems to be a constant battle for these poor little guys :sad:

lilith_rizel
February 28th, 2005, 08:43 AM
Personally, if they do belong to someone else, I don't think they should be able to get them back. I see them outside constantly. I don't know how someone could do that and call it their pet.

Princesss04
February 28th, 2005, 10:34 AM
I have never understood how people will get animals and make them stay outside all the time. That is not a pet. We have these neighbors that have four dogs. All tied up and there is only three dog house. The other one sleeps outside as far as I can tell. The children are never out there to play with them. There is a little one out there and he needs his hair cut it is so long (hanging down in his face) I am sure they feed then and water them. I take them treats when they are not home. But they are never played with or touched by the people. Even when they go and feed them they either dump it in the bowl or on the ground. You are thinking why even have them. :mad:

lilith_rizel
February 28th, 2005, 11:22 AM
I know.... When I was a kid, we had 5 dogs, 2 of them stayed outside most of the time, but we were aways out there playing with them. We would et them inside about 2 hours a day, and when the weather was icky. They woud have been inside all the time, if they wouldn't have chewed up our new furniture we just got a week before we got them.

And Cano spends alot of time outside, but we are out playing with him alot, and he's in during the night, and part of the day as well......

Princesss04
February 28th, 2005, 11:41 AM
I do not have a problem with a dog being outside for a little while. My boys go outside to play but I have a problem keeping them outside if they are not taken care of. :sad:

lilith_rizel
February 28th, 2005, 01:38 PM
I know, same here. Cano loves to be outside. We are lucky to have a screened in porch, where he can sleep at night, if he chooses to.... Well, up until yesterday. He managed to push out a screen to get out, and was running around. And I had just let him out there for some fresh air, not even 5 minutes before. The guy who brought him back had a dog with him too. I think that maybe he got really excited.... but don't want to take any chances of it happening again.......

lilith_rizel
February 28th, 2005, 06:20 PM
Poor kitties, it started snowing this afternoon, and doesn't show any sign of stopping soon. So I made them a little house out of a cardboard box, and taped plastic around it so it wouldn't get wet. I also put an old flannel sheet and food in there. I am hoping that when I go out to check at midnight that I will see the kitties in there. If I do, I am going to get them inside right away, if they don't jump out. We have a large walk in closet, where I am going to turn into there space, until I know that they won't cause harm to Judith.

How is the best way to teach a stray how to use a litter box if they don't already know how???