Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

who doesn't work??

moo-goo
February 28th, 2005, 02:41 AM
i've been trying to adopt a dog for months and i keep being turned away becasue i work 8 hour days. how many pet owners out there are in the exact same situation and still manage to provide for their pets? i know i've always managed in the past. how many people have the luxury of not working, and still having enought money to provide for an animal?

this is really starting to frustrate me!! :yuck: should i just give up??

lilith_rizel
February 28th, 2005, 06:37 AM
Don't give up! Although I don't work, and my husband does, it is a bit tight for money some months.... but that was when we were going to movies evey other weekend.... We learned that we had to give up some of our free spending money, to provide a more than adaquet amount of money for our dog. But I don't see why they won't allow someone who has a job, to adopt a dog? Just because you work doesn't mean it will be neglected. Actually a hard working person, would be more appealing to me if I was adopting out a dog. Anyways, have you tried finding someone to come and let the dog out whie you are gone. Maybe try that, and then inform the shelters that you are lookning at that there will be someone there a couple of times within that 8 hours to take care of the dog for you. I am sure you will find your dog. We did... after months of let downs. We had a dog in mind, ony to find out it was adopted. Happened over and over with us.

Princesss04
February 28th, 2005, 10:37 AM
Moo-goo is there a stray dog that you could give a good home to if they will not let you adopt. I know there are so many dogs that need a home. That is how we got Meater and Chino. We did not adopt them from a shelter or anything. Now Charming we adopted but not the other ones. Are you the only one at home or are you married where someone else would be there or could help out. That might make them approve you. :D

SarahLynn123
February 28th, 2005, 10:48 AM
Dont give up, if you cant get anyone to come in at lunch to let him out, and no rescues will allow you adopt from them, let you friends and family know your keeping your eye out. There is lots of dogs in their back yard 24/7 that would appreciate being in a nice warm house during the day, even if they are alone. Once word spreads around your friends, they may have a neighbour that has a dog that they dont want. Thats how we got ours, they didnt want her but didnt want to take her to the spca, so they left her chained up outside. Your dog will find you!

Im not sure about this, but at the dog parks in Calgary there are bulliten boards, with lots of great dogs that need homes, and lots of bulliten boards in grocery stores for that matter, keep an eye there too.

mastifflover
February 28th, 2005, 11:02 AM
Do not give up hope there are lots of rescues who are realistic and know that people have to work for a living. These people in rescue who think a dog who has lived in horrid conditions and has been rescued would rather not find a home then find a loving home where you work all day then stay in a shelter or moved from foster to foster. This is totally unrealistic. Funny when I grew up there were no doggy daycare or dog walkers and our dogs were home while we worked or went to school and they seemed to turn out fine. Good luck on your search and just note the rescues who think you should not work and the ones who assess everyone individually you will save yourself the frustration if you know they are going to say no so don't waste your time.

Natasa
February 28th, 2005, 11:44 AM
Most BC rescues are pretty realistic when it comes to adopting to people that work. How many rescues did you try? Try other ones.
It is possible that they thought you were not a good match for some particular dog you wanted to adopt? Or there is something else they don’t like about your application they are not telling you about?
Keep looking and you’ll find a perfect dog for you.

There is no way I could properly care for all my animals if I didn’t work. Its irrational to think otherwise.

twinmommy
February 28th, 2005, 12:29 PM
My two cents.... :D

I really feel for you. All my pets are strays that I found, but if I would've had to go through a rescue I would've had a hard time I'm sure, although I am at home now, I used to work 8 hour days as well.

Please don't get turned off of rescue, Where are you located, perhaps some of the people here could point you n the direction of a more realistic one.

It's sad because they mean well, but it's also unrealistic to assume that the SAH moms/dads are more attentive...not always the case.

The way I see it, potential adoptive parents who are turned away will eventually--if uneducated--simply go to the pet store and BUY a dog.

Unfortunate but true, IMO.

LL1
February 28th, 2005, 12:41 PM
Which rescues did you try?Most Ontario rescues will adopt adult dogs to homes with people who work,most of us work too.A puppy or a dog with severe separation anxiety would be the only ones I would think differently about.The Animal Advocate Society in BC has some pretty interesting views,but at least they are on their website.

heidiho
February 28th, 2005, 01:40 PM
Moo Goo i work 8 hours a day,i do not find anything wrong with that,my thing is which is better a life in a kennel all damn day or being alone for 8 hours in a loving home,most people have to work 8 hours there is nothing wrong with it,DO NOT GIVE UP

Gazoo
February 28th, 2005, 01:42 PM
i've been trying to adopt a dog for months and i keep being turned away becasue i work 8 hour days.

You could embellish...just a little.... :D

heidiho
February 28th, 2005, 01:43 PM
Who.???????????????

TWilson9498
February 28th, 2005, 02:34 PM
That is rather sad. I mean good grief how many non working people, especially single people, can afford to take care of an animal with no job to produce income?! That's nuts! I understand they think they are looking out for the best interest of the dog, but like it was said already, what's better, sitting in a warm cozy home for 8 hours or a cold shelter alone, because we all know with the amount of dogs and cats in the shelters people can't possibly "play" with them all day either. I wouldn't give up either though, so many people give up, if you stick it out, even with the flustrations it will happen eventually!

heidiho
February 28th, 2005, 02:37 PM
U got that right,i am not saying i wouldnt feel bad leaving them home laone all day but is sure as s*** better than being at a shelter.....................................Everyo ne i work with has dogs and there dogs are happy as can be.....................

happycats
February 28th, 2005, 02:40 PM
Are you choosing a certain breed? or a certain age?
Maybe that has something to do with it.
Keep trying, you will eventually get your dog, I'm sure.

moo-goo
February 28th, 2005, 02:56 PM
thank you all for your replies and suggestions. it's comforting to hear back!

it's frustrating because i don't want to support puppy mills or back yard breeders, but if i keep getting turned away by rescue groups then what else can i do? i have been keeping an eye out for posters etc, but there's not much of that around.

i live in vancouver, and i've asked around at a few different shelters, including spca, and a few smaller ones. i haven't given up hope, but it's pretty trying. i've found most of them just turn you away without suggesting other dogs that might suit you better...are they really trying to find homes?!? i don't feel right about lying on the applications, because obviously they're looking out for the good of the dog. what if i lie, and then end up with a little nightmare!!

so i've filled out a couple applications, and fingers crossed, something will come of it. thanks again! :o

TWilson9498
February 28th, 2005, 03:06 PM
Is there anyone living with you that could help you out since they don't seem to like your hours and things? If not living with you, is there someone you can depend on to come over and let the pup out while you're working? I mean when I first got mine from the crazy mad lady with the trash can, she was way too small.. only 4 weeks old, I had to work, my husband was in Cali for 3 months, we had a 2 month old baby, but I'll be damned if I was going to let this woman put this lil baby in the dumpster! I know it wasn't a shelter, but I made arrangements with family members to come over and help look after her because she was so small she could not be left alone at all. Maybe you have someone you could put on the application with you that could spend the time with the dog while you are at work? I don't know, just trying to think of any possible suggestion that would help, as I am sure you have as well. Good luck!

Shamrock
February 28th, 2005, 05:24 PM
moo-goo, dont give up! I can understand your frustration with this procedure, but as mentioned, is there someone who coud help you with this during the day? Someone who could come by?
Have you visited the various local SPCA branches? I live in Vancouver also, adopted my dog (and recently another cat) from a local SPCA branch. Both were young adults. The animals coming in change every day, the staff told me and the best thing is to go there as often as you can. (The Vancouver branch is open late every day)
Though I am home full time myself, I believe their requirements for approval in the 'working /at home" area may be less stringent than some of the private rescues.
Also, if you follow the local papers, the "found' dogs that the SPCA lists are not always claimed - some will become available seven days after their impound date. There are also some city run shelters now - Langley, Abbostford, North Vancouver and Coquitlam - these are not affiliated with the SPCA, and generally have larger dogs that have been found running at large. Of course, no history is available for their background, just their own assessment, but the requirements to clear for adoption not as rigid overall.

Are you wanting a puppy - or a specific breed of dog?
I was looking for a smallish adult dog to adopt - they are more of a challenge to find, more in demand ( residency requirements often dont permit a large pet). I never thought of a private rescue, didnt even know of them at the time. After about two months of frequent trips to the closest SPCA branches, I found an adorable black toy poodle in the cat room, in a cat cage. ( too small to be in with the other dogs, they said)
He'd come in as a stray, and while waiting for the seven days..I drove out every single day just to see him, talk to him , interacting through the bars.
I felt if for whatever reason, he wasnt to be claimed.. he was "meant" for me... like 'karma".That was five years ago My five pound treasure, I call him. My constant companion and friend. :love:

I'm sure the perfect dog is out there for you too! Good luck with this. :thumbs up
:ca:

mastifflover
February 28th, 2005, 05:30 PM
What type of dog are you looking for? Maybe we can help you find your forever baby

MIA
February 28th, 2005, 05:39 PM
I am surprise to hear the SPCA won't adopt, I am in BC and know they don't usually mind if you are at work all day, unless the dog you were keen on needed someone home more. In fact I know they barely have time to screen homes. A lady I know walked into a SPCA recently and within 10 minutes had a dog!!!!

I rescue and I don't mind if people work, heck I work and run a rescue! There have been dogs though that need someone home more so those I won't adopt out to someone that works an 8 hour day. If you are looking at a young pup, no rescue will adopt as the pup needs someone around for the first few months.

Most rescues around are usually pretty reasonable and I know most of them! Please don't lie on the app as that will only cause you and possibly the dog in the end.

Feel free to e-mail me if you like and we can chat more.

MIA

caliper
March 1st, 2005, 06:05 AM
Hi All. I can understand what you are all saying here and understand completely what Mia mentioned in her reply as to NOT TO LIE ON THE APPLICATION.

I also will over the next few weeks begin my process of looking for a Puppy/Young dog to be a new life member in my home.

As I have not been to a shelter or a rescue I cant comment on problems but I do know someone that has had an enomous amount of obstacles thrown at them.

A. oh you dont have a fences.
B. No one is home during the day
C, you have never owned a dog before or you have no association with this breed before.

I understand that there must be some checks and balances when adopting and as Mi mention not to lie , it certainly seems that you must bend your answers for the shelter to okay you in certain situations.

I dont want to adopt a newborn puppy as it dosent seem fair to the animal to live it young life alone and dont want to talk to people even at a respectable kennel.

I can certainly afford to purchase a newborn puupy of the breed that I want but want to give a shelter pup a home.

I would appreciate anyones help in giving me help on what to look for in a shelter to stay away from if there going to be completely negative to my adopting.

Okay I dont have a fenced in yard and have no intention of putting a fence up but would look into the property border type where the animal wears a collar to indicate he is soming close to the parimeter of the property. Does anyone have any dealing with these type fences.

Regarding other things Im very flexible with. Knowing that my home has four bedrooms and 1/2 acre of property for the dog to run around in does anyine think I would have problems.

Im really looking for what I might have to do to me someone adoptable owner.

Thanks Cal. :)

doggy lover
March 1st, 2005, 08:34 AM
I work full time, but with me working early 6am or late 11am shifts Tucker is left for 6 hours at the most and only 4 days a week as I work every other weekend and have a day off in the week. The other times there is either one of my kids home from school or my husband. I t doesn't seem to hurt him and my last dog never suffered from us working. If we both didn't work I would have never been able to pay some of the last dogs vet bills and he would have had to been pts at a young age.I guess shelters would rather put animals to sleep than find them a loving home. Some dogs sleep all day when their owners are away, I know thats what my last dog did, the big couch potato. Keep trying, maybe put an add in your local news paper that you are looking to adopt a unwanted dog, god knows their is enough out their.

Bearsmom
March 1st, 2005, 08:45 AM
We too have started our search for another dog, and I keep getting the same questions from certain rescues (here remain unnamed). When they find out that I work 12 hour shifts (will explain more in a sec)-I'm outright turned down. I explain to them that I only work 12 days a month, 5 of them are weekdays, and my husband works straight 9-5 Monday to Friday. The rest of the time, I'm home, and hubby is off all weekends. That would mean that the pup will only be alone from 8-6 5 days a MONTH (with our neighbour who used to breed labs willing to come over several times a day to let the dogs out). I think that's pretty good odds for a puppy. No wonder it's so frustrating for some.

When we do find a suitable puppy, I will be taking vacation for those days for the first few months (God I love my job), so the dog isn't alone (not that he would be with Bear around). Our search continues....

MIA
March 1st, 2005, 11:20 AM
Hi Cal,

The reason I say not to lie is usually rescues use the application to help match you to a dog, if you say you are gone only four hours and it's really 8 that could be devidstating to the dog. It could also be devistating to your home! I had a rescue that destroyed a wall as he wasn't used to be left and I had to go to work! Lovely!!!!

Really in the end it depends on what breed you are looking at and what the rescues requirements are, most have them on thier websites and if not, ask before taking the time to fill in an application.

The more honest you are the better the match! It may take a little longer but usually well worth the wait.

MIA :D

caliper
March 1st, 2005, 02:11 PM
Hi Mia,

It wouldnt go that far to lie to the point where it would be detrimental to the animal. I wouldnt do that. My wife for instance work part time only 5 minutes away from hom and that hitting traffic and lights along the way. So if we really wanted to we could adopt a puppy and be home within minutes of two hours and let the puupy out and spend the next hour with it.My biggest problem is going to be the rescue telling me what dog I can have.

PS the type of dog that I would really like is a lab of some kind and unfortunately not a Golden.

Cal.. :)

MIA
March 1st, 2005, 02:24 PM
We don't tell you what dog you can have but it does help match you to any potential dogs available. If a rescue has a few dogs that would fit your lifestyle I am sure you can choose but if they only have one dog and it doesn't fit well there is no point in adopting it to you.

I also forget to mention that we do our best for the dogs, not the people who want them persay, I know that sounds offensive to some but it's true. When I take in a dog I've made a promise to find him or her the best possible home for them. If that home isn't out there they stay with me in my home until it is. Usually the dogs have had a rough time and deserve the best forever home available and the best match will ensure that.

We do try our best and some rescuers are more flexible than others. Remember too that rescue can't predict what will arrive and what will be in need (available), we have no idea if and when a pup will show up! I get a lot of e-mails from people basically ordering a puppy and I have only had two puppies in 6 years!!! LOL

It can be a slow process but keep at it and I always tell people you will know when it's the right dog. Things happen for a reason. :thumbs up

Gazoo
March 1st, 2005, 02:34 PM
There are lies and then there are white lies. :D

As long as you do the research into breed traits and you understand the rescue's interpretation of specific traits of the dog you are adopting.....you'll be fine.

As an aside we've adopted a dog from the HS in the past that was supposed to be fine with children but turned out to be quite aggresive towards them!!!!!!! (and strangers as well!!!)

I guess what I'm saying is that all dogs are differerent...and be sure that the dog you pick doesn't have separation anxiety or is a breed that is prone to anxiety.

kirei
March 1st, 2005, 03:06 PM
Don't let it deter you. Some rescue people are kinda crazy (no offence to anyone on this board)
I was turned down from a Beagle rescue because i worked 11 hours A WEEK!. And she said i couldn't provide enough green space. I live 3 min walk from High Park which is the largest green space in Toronto lol.

MIA
March 1st, 2005, 03:14 PM
[QUOTE=kirei]I was turned down from a Beagle rescue because i worked 11 hours A WEEK!. [QUOTE]

Please tell me you aren't serious?! That's insane!!!!! :eek:

You are right some people in rescue are a little eccentric and unreasonable... LOL I try to be as normal as possible :crazy:

caliper
March 1st, 2005, 04:54 PM
Hi Mia , Ive talked to you today more then my own wife He He Ha Ha .

No i can totally understand the rescue making every attempt to determine the best fit for the dog. :thumbs up I know two families that purchased puppies from a breeder and gave them to shelters over the last couple of years. The last one just this past Valentines day and that was only what two weeks ago. Luckily for that puppy the breeder knew someone that wanted a puppy and the idiot who though his girlfriend would like a dog almost gave it away for nothing.

Its just what irks me more then anything is filling out an application for a dog and not hearing anything from the shelter at all.

Anyway thank you so much for your comments. Im learning alot.

Cal....

mastifflover
March 1st, 2005, 05:07 PM
Don't let it deter you. Some rescue people are kinda crazy (no offence to anyone on this board)
I was turned down from a Beagle rescue because i worked 11 hours A WEEK!. And she said i couldn't provide enough green space. I live 3 min walk from High Park which is the largest green space in Toronto lol.

Well that is the best one I have heard for quite awhile. There are some people in rescue and I have said this before have never had a job, but love animals and this is there charity work. But they really have no idea about the real world. I find the good rescues are more concerned about finding the right home for a dog and if you don't have a fence but they think you are a good match they will overlook the fence to get the dog a good home. Besides fenced in backyard do not give your dog exercise I bet dogs in condo's and apt. get a lot more exercise. I also live right near High Park

MIA
March 1st, 2005, 05:14 PM
LOL Cal!

I hope I've helped a little, not everyone is the same...

If you do go to a breeder or rescue make sure they are reputable! I know someone that just got a dog from a shelter and ended up with a sick dog!!!!

MIA :crazy:

caliper
March 1st, 2005, 06:38 PM
Mastifflover, I saw that you wrote about a place called High Park and from what I think your post says is that alot of people bring their dog there to run around. I am going to go to the rescue and give them everything I can give to a dog. I can be in an hour not that I'll do this every day and im certain the recue will realize that but I can be on a 1000 acre tract of property wher the dog could run for hours. There are some wooded areas that a bird dof like a pointer or a beagle would be in there glory. And I would have a ball. I dont know all I can say is that I will be forthright and show that I could be the best dog owner that the rescue person had seen in years. We will see.

Thanks again to everyone who has answered my questions.

Cal... :crazy:

Dahlia
March 2nd, 2005, 09:27 AM
Um, I'm a stay-at-home-mom, so I wouldn't exactly say I don't work, ;) but couldn't you adopt a dog from the local animal shelter? I don't know about in your area, but here, they're not that choosy about who they allow to adopt.

WeeZee
March 5th, 2005, 09:49 AM
I had to pop in ...
Please be very honest on the Application - and with yourself.

I know you want a dog to love - that is beyond argument, especially known in my own heart.

However, my dog was originally adopted from a shelter and then abused because they did not know what they were getting into.
They obviously answered the mandatory questions, but did they think about their answers?
Nope.
My dog quickly interfered with their life and their thoughts on dog guardianship ... she was re-rescued from them, but she will now physically suffer the rest of her life for “being such a cute puppy”.

When I was searching for a new love, I had to be honest about quite a few … the breed traits would not fit into our situation
(i.e. our local animal control lady seemed to have a long run of beagles … so cute and adorable … even though she knew I was “all dog”, she finger-wagged me away knowing that we would have issues with running away, etc … which was why they were there in the first place. I was pretty frustrated, but she was so right!)

But, given the honest answers from your heart ... perhaps if you put an ad in the paper yourself?

I AM 100% AGAINST PUPPY MILLS and saddened by negligent home births, and my personal preference would only adopt a "used" dog
... but there may be a little bundle out there just waiting for you to make yourself known.

I am sure a sweet love will find a way to your heart.

WeeZee