Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

cats disappearing

chatocat1
February 27th, 2005, 04:16 PM
I just want to say that lately there has been some cats that I usually feed outside, that have disappeared these last few months. I am in hochelaga-maisonneuve near ste-catherine and aylwin. I wonder where they are. :confused: :mad: :sad:

chico2
February 27th, 2005, 04:27 PM
Chatocat1,a few terrible scenarios ,pit-fighting bait,labs etc...but they could possibly have frozen to death,everyhting to horrible to think of :sad:
Maybe HS trapped them and took them in.....

happycats
February 27th, 2005, 04:49 PM
In my parents old neighborhood, all the cats went missing, including ours (thats one of the reasons why all my cats are indoor now)
We saw lost cat posters everywhere, I started calling all these other people, and all the cats disappeared in the night, they were also all wearing ID tags.
We called the city (they said if a dead animal was picked up off the road and had ID they record this) none of these cats showed up there either.

Then one evening, my Dad was outside and saw the culprit, it was a red fox, with a neighbors cat in it's mouth!!

We believe this is where all the missing cats went. Maybe this is where all your missing cats went. (I hope not)

badger
February 27th, 2005, 05:41 PM
There are so many things that can happen to them - infections from fight wounds, anti-freeze and cold temps in winter, cars, and of course poor nourishment which leads them to eat all kinds of crap not meant to be eaten. My sister adopted a stray once, a little black sweetheart that ended up coming inside occasionally for a nap and a bite and became quite tame. He had to be put down for severe stomach problems, the vet said it was probably from eating dirt or garbage while he was outside on his own. Cats come and go in my neighbourhood too, even ones who have been coming regularly for food, and I try not to think about their fate because I'm aware of the possibilities, most of them bad. And let's not forget the territorial imperative - a particularly aggressive male can clear an alley pretty quick of rival toms, they rarely co-exist peacefully when the stakes are so high. And as for the HS doing anything proactive here in Montreal, I've never heard of it, no catch and release programs, nuttin'.

Lucky Rescue
February 27th, 2005, 06:54 PM
Maybe HS trapped them and took them in.....

I should live long enough to see that! :rolleyes: They won't even come and get a cat unless YOU trap it, and YOU bring it inside to give to them. If you're lucky, they might show up 3 days later.

Around here last year, many cats disappeared. Fishers, coyotes, cruel humans and bitter winters will do them in, particularly the vulnerable and always pregnant females.:(

If a fox had a cat in it's jaws, the cat was already dead. Even the biggest fox, at maybe 12 - 15lbs - would never tackle an adult cat and certainly couldn't kill one.

happycats
February 27th, 2005, 07:10 PM
I don't knoe Lucky Rescue, We had a female fox at my work who killed alot of things including stray cats, we would actually see her do this from our window!! She had no problem killing the cats!! It was horrible, I called the HS and they said they could not come to rescue the cats.

This particular fox only had 3 legs, one got mangled when she was hit by a car, media attention brought the MNR to try and catch her and help her, but no one was ever able to catch her, and her leg eventually fell off, but she had no trouble catching and killing the cats, squirrels, geese, and rabbits in the area, we started bringing her in meat so she would stop killing the cats.
(she usually had between 5-7 kits each year, they were adorable)

She is gone now, no one knows what happened to her.

twinmommy
February 27th, 2005, 07:44 PM
Did you check Badger's?? :D

He's been having alot of visitors lately!!!LOL

Lucky Rescue
February 27th, 2005, 07:54 PM
Happycats if you saw this happen, of course I believe you...ducks, squirrels, rabbits and other prey animals, yes, but cats are predators too and are just as big (or bigger than) a fox, and way more well-armed so I'm extremely shocked that a fox could kill a cat without being torn to pieces. :eek:

Even big dogs would'nt want to take on a mature, feral and intact tomcat.

happycats
February 27th, 2005, 08:00 PM
Lucky these cats were strays obviously dumped there and were often on the small side, the fox was really sly about it, would pretend to lose intrest, and when the cat let down it's guard, bang the fox would have it by the back of the neck, shaking it like crazy!!
Don't Know if it would go after a big Tom ?
I have also seen an angry goose put her on the run !

Lucky Rescue
February 27th, 2005, 08:15 PM
I've had an angry goose put ME on the run!http://pages.prodigy.net/indianahawkeye/newpage05/17.gif

happycats
February 27th, 2005, 08:26 PM
LOL Lucky,
They actually nest in the planters all around our building at work, and they have put me on the run more then once :eek: The male goose will sometimes block the entrance to our building, and not even let clients in, it's so funny :D

maddoxies
February 28th, 2005, 08:34 PM
Today's trivia: Some racecourses use geese to guard the thoroughbreds. Maybe the geese should be muzzled instead of pitties :evil: :evil: Yeah, I'm BAD !! :crazy: :crazy: