Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Is it possible to have puppies in the same litter from different fathers?

puppup11
February 26th, 2005, 04:39 PM
When I was a kid, my parents had this dog that was supposedly a black lab/golden retriever mix. They said they saw the mother, definitely a black lab, and the neighbor's dog was the golden retriever. Some of the puppies in the litter even had long golden hair. But this puppy that they got was brindle, with shorter and courser hair than most labs even have. It was the most active pup when they chose him. The jaw and face was more square than a lab or golden, ears were a bit shorter, and he appeared completely impervious to pain (my mom used to say you could beat him over the head with a 2x4 and he would just look at you... don't worry though, they didn't) and he was agressive with any animals other than my parents' female chocolate lab. Headstrong and stubborn to a very large degree, more than you would think of seeing in a lab or golden. Anyway, recently I got a pitbull. I can't believe how close the looks and personality traits are to him. Could my parents' dog have been a pit/lab mix when the rest of the puppies in the litter were golden and lab mixes? I told them and they swear, they saw both the mother and father and the rest of the litter and he couldn't be a pit. But it seems strange to me that you get a brindle pup from a black lab and a golden retriever, and hair that's decidedly shorter than either breed!

Sneaky2006
February 26th, 2005, 05:21 PM
I am not 100% sure but I think it's possible to have more than one father in one litter of puppies.

mafiaprincess
February 26th, 2005, 05:25 PM
Yeah it is possible. One more reason to keep your dam and stud together away from any other male dog.

Luvmypit
February 28th, 2005, 03:12 PM
Before i even read that you thought it was a pit I said well that sounds like a pit bull. So I don't know if thats possible or not but it sounds like you got a brindle Pit bull.

TWilson9498
February 28th, 2005, 03:38 PM
I've always heard it was possible to have more than one father of a single litter of pups, but you can't always go by what you hear so I don't know. :rolleyes:

Luvmypit
February 28th, 2005, 03:43 PM
I wonder how such a thing would fall under this Breed ban. Looks like a pit then its a pit! Even if you can't get different breeds I wonder how this dog would fair in proving he was part lab/ golden not pit?

wjranch
March 3rd, 2005, 08:54 AM
Yes, you can most definatly get more then one father to a litter.
Estrus is the time during the bitches cycle that she can and will breed. She will actively seek males for 3-5 days to breed with. And as the sperm can survive for up to 72 hours after mating, it is physically possible for her to breed with more then one male during this time and have some of the eggs fertilized by both males.
It does get alittle more in depth then this of course, but, I'm trying to explain it in as few words as possible.
:)