Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Smelly cat

kayla
February 26th, 2005, 05:03 PM
I am fostering a cat, about 3 weeks into a pregnancy, and she really smells! She smells like vomit from her behind :yuck: Does anyone know if this has to do with being pregnant? Could it be a sign of a sickness? She looks healthy enough, but I have another cat and don't want him to catch anything from her. I'm tempted to bathe her but don't want to stress her out anymore than she already is, I only just picked her up yesterday.
Anyone have ideas on what could be the cause and how i should go about fixing the problem?

twinmommy
February 26th, 2005, 05:07 PM
Bad smells coming from either the genital or anal area could be an infection, or impacted anal glands, you should see a vet.

Thanks for fostering this baby!! :thumbs up

BMDLuver
February 26th, 2005, 05:07 PM
Who are you fostering this cat for?

kayla
February 26th, 2005, 05:09 PM
I'm fostering her for the SPCA. They gave her a medical check up a few days ago and did not find any parasites or anything else wrong with her.

BMDLuver
February 26th, 2005, 05:19 PM
So then forget about any medical attention being given to this cat from the SPCA. Also, if she is only supposed to be 3 weeks pregnant, how do they even know she is pregnant? Without an ultrasound, which is very costly and probably has not been done, it's kind of hard to say she is..... unless she is much further along than they have told you. Sorry, not a fan of how they do things.

Have you ever experienced a birth before? This is not a criticism, I just want to know if you have, otherwise everyone here will help you with questions on this. As for smelling like puke on the hind end, that is not normal. The two cats I had never smelled odd, either before, during or after they gave birth. So it is worrisome that she has a bad odour about her.

kayla
February 26th, 2005, 05:40 PM
No I've never fostered a pregnant cat before, this is all pretty new to me!

She shows her pregnancy just a little. The reason they say she is probably only 3 weeks is because she is an extremely tiny cat. I don't know is she is a baby herself or just naturally very small.

Another thing I noticed that I was wondering about is that her nipples are quite large and slightly crusty. I've been around pregnant cats before and they don't usually look like that. Is this a sign she's had pregnacies before? It could give me an idea of her possible age, she is so small..

meowzart
February 26th, 2005, 06:40 PM
ARGH! I'd do the vet and THEN a bath. Crusty nipples are not normal either. If she's showing she's more than 3 weeks. Enlarged nipples usually happen at about 3 weeks then typically recede until later in the pregnancy.

In my opinion all cats should be tested for FIV and Feleuk before mingling with household cats.

twinmommy
February 26th, 2005, 06:55 PM
Just a word...I agree with Bmd on how the SPCA does things. I found a cat on the highway near to the Jean Talon branch. I brought it there thinking they could keep it for a couple hours while I finished my work day, check it for feleuk and FIV since I had another cat at home, and then I could return within an hour. They told me that they would be happy to "check him in" and that I could come back and adopt him the next day!! (what the.??!!.)

My vet is too professional to bad mouth them, but let's just say both animals that I have that have come from there we've redone all the necessary testing, etc.

They have good hearts I'm sure, I'd like to chalk it up to lack of funds.... :(

All that to say--Go to your own vet, nevermind the free vet care given with fostercare from SPCA.

kayla
February 26th, 2005, 07:43 PM
According to the SPCA she was negative for FIV, although they said it can take 3-10 days for the antibodies to show up in the blood. Do you think it's ok if I wait 10 days to take her to the vet to be sure? In the mean time I will just keep her separate from my other cat?

BMDLuver
February 26th, 2005, 08:30 PM
If she is a small cat then the likelyhood of a safe delivery is not on the good side. Be prepared for stillborn kittens or kittens that do not make it longterm. She may only have one or two kittens if she is young and her first litter. At three weeks, she should not be showing very much if at all. The nipples being a bit crusty would point to her being closer to her due date than they said. Can you tell me, did they vaccinate her at all prior to her coming to you?

kayla
February 26th, 2005, 08:33 PM
The SPCA did not vaccinate her. Whether the previous owner did or not is unknown too because they left no info on her, not even her name.

BMDLuver
February 26th, 2005, 08:37 PM
It's good they did not vaccinate her as some of the vaccines can have an adverse effect on the kittens. I do know that if you have complications the SPCA will not be supportive. If you need help in any way, please don't hesitate to ask. We all understand that you are trying to do a good thing by helping this cat and whatever any of us can do we will do to help. It still amazes me with all the unwanted cats and kittens that they would not have chosen to spay her and put her in adoptions. :sad:

kayla
February 26th, 2005, 09:47 PM
Thanks for the support. I really hope she doesn't have troubles with the pregnancy because of her size- she is the sweetest little cat!

meowzart
February 27th, 2005, 12:38 PM
Yes I would isolate her in a room for a week - you never know if she might come down with a cold or something from the stress and it helps prevent your cat from being sick.

kayla
February 27th, 2005, 04:03 PM
Is it possible she could be much closer to her due date then the SPCA predicted? She has been extremely affectionate, purring like crazy and she couldn't seem to get enough petting. Then she just sniffed around every possible nest area in the house while my other pets were outside and has settled herself in a box in my closet. She doesn't look huge though. Is it possible she only has a litter of 1-2 kittens and is fairly close to delivery? Or is this just the 5 week nesting behavior I've read about? Or is this just her wanting some privacy? She doesn't seem stressed though, she acts like she's always been here.

I've attached a pic of her and her belly and thought if anyone has delivered small litters could tell me if this could possibly be her case. I think she is definitely more than 2-3 weeks preggies like I was told though!

Oh yeah, she doesn't smell anymore, yay!

chico2
February 27th, 2005, 04:45 PM
Aww,she looks just like my Chico,poor little thing,although she's lucky to have you :thumbs up I don't know much about pregnant cats,never had one,but she looks pretty big to me :confused:
What will happen to her after??? I hope they are not going to euthanize her after they take the kittens,as is often the case :sad:

BMDLuver
February 27th, 2005, 04:51 PM
Is that her tummy sagging down like that? When she lies down, can you see like a tiny little bulge on the side that is up? My one cat had only one kitten and the other had only two. They were only 6 months old when they had kittens so that's about all I saw with them. They didn't look largely pregnant if you know what I mean.

kayla
February 27th, 2005, 05:02 PM
Yes, that is her tummy sagging down. Here is a pic of her from above, you can see her sides bulging out.
I will make sure the SPCA will find a home for her. If not I will just have to keep her myself, no way they're putting this cutie down!

chico2
February 27th, 2005, 05:10 PM
Kayla,that's good to know....I know,that sometimes HS will euthanize the mom and adopt out the kittens,easier to do than having her spayed.
Here's my Chico..looks like her brother,he's also a great big suck,always wanting cuddles :D

BMDLuver
February 27th, 2005, 06:21 PM
What does the SPCA think saying she is 3 weeks pregnant? From the looks of things, I don't think you have too much longer to go. Glad she has somewhere safe to have her kittens. Will you be returning her and the kittens to the SPCA at 8 weeks?

Katherine1
February 27th, 2005, 06:39 PM
I don't know anything about pregnant cats but I lightened the pic so those of you who know can see better. :)

Katherine1
February 27th, 2005, 06:41 PM
and the other one.

kayla
February 27th, 2005, 07:40 PM
The SPCA wants me to return her and the kittens when the kittens are 10 weeks. Although I think (hope) I can keep the mom longer to make sure she gets adopted. I will let them know I will adopt her if they can't find anyone, hopefully this won't be a problem.. This is my first time fostering so to be honest I don't know exactly how it all works, I guess I will find out in a few months!

maddoxies
February 27th, 2005, 08:59 PM
I would say to take her to your own vet, just to be sure. For your peace of mind for her and your own cats. A second opinion on how far along she is would not hurt either.

kayla
February 27th, 2005, 09:18 PM
I think you're right Goldengirl. I think I will take her to the vet next weekend (I don't have a car until then).

In the mean time I am setting up a nesting box for her. I have put my dogs old cage in a corner, with a set of drawers across the door so only the cat can fit inside. There are blankets layed down and she is in there right now purring and seems quite content with the set up. One thing I was wondering though- should I put a blanket over it so it is completely dark, or leave it uncovered? Right now it is mostly dark with just a crack at the bottom for her to look out. I feel like the kittens would need more light though.. I read elsewhere just use an open box, but she has to be in my office and I feel like this wouldn't give her enough privacey.. Any thoughts?

BMDLuver
February 27th, 2005, 09:31 PM
my two cats chose to have their kittens behind a very large corner wall unit. It was a bit darker with only a tiny crack of sunlight. I placed a comforter in with them once the kittens were born. My dog at the time, came to wake me up as she seemed to be worried. She kept tugging at me until I got up then took me down to the cats.. I just checked in on them and let them be until they were born. I think cats seem to prefer quiet, out of the way spots. Unlike the dogs I have been exposed to who seem to want you near them when the time comes. What you have set up sounds great for mom.

kayla
February 28th, 2005, 10:18 AM
OK so you were right BMDLuver- momma gave birth this morning to one beautiful black kitten! In the nesting box I set up for her thankfully :)

I haven't had any time to read up on this stuff, I thought I had a few more weeks to go! What am I supposed to do now? The baby is mewling and when I stick my head in mom purrs like she wants pets, but can I touch her or the kittens just yet? The blankets look clean, do I have to change them? I haven't even had time to get more blankets from the thrift store!

Am I supposed to put her food and water in the nesting box? What about the litter box? It was on the other side of the room before, do I move it closer?

Momma is meowing loudly now.. Maybe she isn't even done labour yet! What a suprise to wake up to!

BMDLuver
February 28th, 2005, 10:43 AM
Hi Kayla,
How many has she had? You need to make sure that mom is letting the kittens nurse. Also, she is probably hungry and thirsty from her ordeal. Make sure she has plenty of water and fresh food at hand. Her food, her water and her litter box can all remain where they are. Moms need a break and this is how they get it, by going off to eat, drink, etc.. Mom should have cleaned up most of the mess from the birth. She will groom the kittens and lick their privates to help them have proper bathroom relief. Once she has finished labour and everyone has had a rest and eaten, then I would put in a fresh blanket for them. You won't hurt them by handling them, just don't handle too much as it may agitate mom. Watch for dehydration with mom and the kittens... The skin on the back of the neck should pull up and go back down right away. I pm'd you my number before, so if you need help or are worried, give a ring.

kayla
February 28th, 2005, 10:58 AM
Alrighty she just pushed out a second one! She has eaten the placenta off both kittens and they are both nursing and she is purring away (I have never met a cat who purrs so much!) Don't know if she is finished yet, how do you tell?

BMDLuver
February 28th, 2005, 11:10 AM
Each time a kitten heads down she will have contractions which are quite visible as you have probably already noticed. Glad to hear that the kittens are nursing. As to when she is done, not really sure how many to expect, she did look rather large so I would think she may have one or two more on the way. Both cats I had here, did not venture out of the area for several hours and when they did, it was to use the litter box and have something to eat. I believe that they will not use the litter until done with labour but I could be wrong? LR might be more knowledgeable on that count.

Lucky Rescue
February 28th, 2005, 11:15 AM
The SPCA wants me to return her and the kittens when the kittens are 10 weeks

PLEASE be aware that mommacat will likely be killed when you bring her back. Nursing mothers generally are killed when the kittens are weaned. AND if the kitten is not adopted before it contracts rhino from stress and overcrowding, it will killed as well.

I just went through all this with someone else who fostered a cat and a litter for SPCA. She ended up adopting them all out herself (after I listed them for her and Lucky Rescue sent people to her who were looking for kittens)

If you want this cat and kitten to live, I suggest you keep them.

3 weeks pregnant?? I just have to laugh cause the SPCA won't even spay or neuter any animals or vaccinate them. Did they expect you to think they gave her an ultrasound??

meowzart
February 28th, 2005, 11:20 AM
Good job so far! (3 weeks egads!) :)

I've fostered a delivering mom and kittens before too, so I'll pm you my email if you have some questions.

Be aware that mama MAY try to move her kittens if she feels threatened at all - so just keep an eye out.

coonlover
February 28th, 2005, 11:31 AM
I think Lucky is right. You alread mentioned keeping the mom if she doesnt get adopted out ( which she probably wont) and she seems to have taking a liking to you and you to her, so why not give her a good loving home where she is already comfortable and I'm sure with Lucky's help you can find homes for these babies, I'm sure this mommy has been bounced around enough and than to give birth only to be taken away to be killed seems so sad, she does sound like a real sweetheart and deserves to be in a loving home (yours) :D So maybe you should start deciding on a name for her :thumbs up

kayla
February 28th, 2005, 01:50 PM
OK so now I'm worried! I don't know how the SPCA does things having never fostering with them before. I do know that if I want to adopt any or all of them I have to pay full adoption fees. I might be able to scrounge up the money though seeing as there are only 3 of them (hell, I WILL scrounge it up if the other choice is them dying!)
Luckyrescue, how did the other person go about adopting/adopting out the cats? Did she have to pay the SPCA as well? Did she get money back from whoever she adopted them out to cover her costs? It would end up being about $330 for me to adopt all three :eek:

BMDLuver
February 28th, 2005, 01:53 PM
Just call the adoption person or your contact. Tell them that you don't think you can just give them back and that you would like to find homes for all of them on your own with a spay/neuter contract. I know several people who have done this and worse case scenario is you pay for the mom only.

maddoxies
February 28th, 2005, 03:04 PM
Kayla:
I have sent you a pm as well, if I can help you with transportation to vet, etc, just let me know. I sent you my home number.

You done good :thumbs up as my great-nephew says

Lucky Rescue
February 28th, 2005, 03:36 PM
I PM'd you as well!!

Let me see if this is right...

The SPCA gives you a pregnant cat - no vaccinations. Do they give you food and litter too?

chico2
February 28th, 2005, 04:56 PM
Lucky,I realize they(SPCA) would probably kill the mom....but why the kittens,why did they not just kill her before the kittens were born?
Kayla,please don't let that happen to mom,the kittens would probably be easy to place.
You say you will keep her and I really hope so,but keeping them all will get quiet expensive..
Anyway,you did a wonderful job....what are you going to call her...she looks like an Amanda to me,or a Belle :D

glasslass
February 28th, 2005, 05:15 PM
I was away all weekend and just saw this thread. I think it's really neat what you are doing Kayla. And it sounds as though you've already bonded with mama-cat! Sounds like you appeared in her life just in the nick of time. :thumbs up

kayla
February 28th, 2005, 05:55 PM
The SPCA gave me food with her, but not litter or anything else. As far as I know the SPCA would have killed her if I or another foster parent didn't take her :(

I don't know what to name her, I always have so much trouble naming pets. Any suggestions would be great!

Lucky Rescue
February 28th, 2005, 06:26 PM
but why the kittens,why did they not just kill her before the kittens were born?

They would have killed her had a foster not been found. Look at it this way: A cat and a litter of kittens are going to go through a mountain of food and litter by the time the kittens are 10 weeks old. The foster will pay for all this. Also, better hope the cat and kittens don't get sick, as the foster will have to foot the vet bill too and get only a tax receipt in exchange.

So, the SPCA gets back a litter of kittens that have not cost them one cent - no vax, no s/n - kill the mother and adopt them out for 100$ each. Not a bad deal for them.

If the kittens get rhino (which they probably will) they just kill them and will NOT treat them.

You saw on another thread by L'ilRickyMom that a 15 month old, sweet and well behaved puppy was going to be killed for having kennel cough.

maddoxies
February 28th, 2005, 06:34 PM
As for a name, I am a fan of the Midnight Louie books and his daughter's name is Midnight Louise. Just a suggestion.

coonlover
February 28th, 2005, 08:23 PM
How about Lucky since she is so lucky to have found you :angel:

chico2
March 1st, 2005, 08:19 AM
Lucky,I realize I kind of live in a cocoon(sp?)with my 3 cats and cannot phantom,ANY spca"saving"animals just to murder them... :sad: The only experience I've had with OSPCA is our Oakville HS and in all my dealings with them I have no complaints,they are there to SAVE animals.But I've said all this before...
Kayla,so what I understand,you are responsible for these little lives,or they would not be alive today???
When you were asking questions about birthing,I was wondering why you did not ask the HS,but I think I understand now :sad: :sad:
:grouphug:

kayla
March 1st, 2005, 09:18 AM
I actually did phone the SPCA to get ask questions, but when I finally got through the woman was on the other line and said she would phone back but never did. I think this isn't a sign that they don't care though, I think it is a sign they are extremely busy and have a major lack of funding.

The animals the SPCA put down they put down are because people were irresponsible and didn't get their pets fixed, or they ran away before they got fixed, or people thought it would be cute to breed them, not because the SPCA enjoys killing animals. The SPCA shouldn't be attacked for this, these ignorant people should!

The SPCA is there to prevent cruelty to animals. They do this by adopting out animals and putting to sleep others to keep the population down. And unfortunately it is those cute little kittens that will get adopted out before cats, and healthy animals before unhealthy, and since they only have limited space... There are sick people out there who want to train their dogs to be vicious on cats, or are just plain cruel people and would show violence towards animals. I'm not sure but maybe I would prefer to have a quiet death then torn apart by another animal (humans included). I'm sure the people working at the SPCA would save every animal if they could, and if they had homes for them, but the fact is, there just aren't enough homes for the cuties, and they would likely spend their life in a cage :sad:

That being said, I am hesitant dealing with the SPCA because there probably is a good chance momma cat won't make it if I send her back. And the fact the vet there thought she was 2-3 weeks preggies, and then she had kittens two days later makes me slightly weary of their medical competence, so the kittens won't be going back either.. Now to figure out what I AM going to do with them!

chico2
March 1st, 2005, 09:50 AM
Kayla,I am not bashing your SPCA or the people who work there,but I do not think enough effort is made to try to re-home animals and the desicion rests with the managment,I'm certain.The people who volonteer,I am sure would want to save them all..

BMDLuver
March 1st, 2005, 09:58 AM
We'll all try to help you in one way or another Kayla. There's lots of us here rooting for you so don't forget that and don't be shy to ask for help at any time.

chico2
March 1st, 2005, 10:50 AM
BMDLover,I was not critizising Kayla for looking for help in the Forum,heck,I salute her for what she is doing.. :angel:
I just wanted to know how supportive and helpful the SPCA was,if she were to run into trouble...Luckily everything went great and I am 100% certain both mama cat and kittens will do wonderful under Kaylas care :thumbs up

BMDLuver
March 1st, 2005, 11:13 AM
BMDLover,I was not critizising Kayla for looking for help in the Forum,heck,I salute her for what she is doing.. :angel:
I just wanted to know how supportive and helpful the SPCA was,if she were to run into trouble...Luckily everything went great and I am 100% certain both mama cat and kittens will do wonderful under Kaylas care :thumbs up
Where'd that come from? Don't recall saying anyone was criticising? I was responding to Kayla's comment...."Now to figure out what I AM going to do with them!"

chico2
March 1st, 2005, 11:18 AM
Sorry...took it wrong,no problem :thumbs up

coonlover
March 1st, 2005, 11:19 AM
Kayla, how many kittens did she end up having?

meowzart
March 1st, 2005, 12:04 PM
My wonderful vet and I have had many conversations about our spca which has opened my eyes a LOT! His biggest complaint is that there is never anything changing there, not trying new things, and not enough effort made to find homes before putting animals down. he says he receives cats from them to be euthanized and says 'no way - and finds them a home.

This would probably explain why they almost 'gave' me a cat I wanted to rescue from them. I had fallen in love with him, and vowed to keep an eye on him. He was a maine coon wannabe -c ream colored and as soon as you opened his kennel he would flop over for belly rubs. So adorable. He was about 5 yrs. When I went back to check on him he was gone and they told me he was in the 'b' room because he was sick. I asked if I could take him home and get him better, and they waived the fee in lieu of donation. He was a HORRIBLE MESS by then. Sneezing, a severly infected toe (likely from trying to open his cage) a rear toe split and infected, infected gums, and a lot of plaque, and severe acne. I know he was slated to be put down.

So I took him home and nursed him back to health - what a wonderful affectionate sweet boy and grateful kitty :) And I found him a great home where he's king of the castle :) Keep up the good work here with these kitties - you'll be surprised how easy it is to find homes if you put the word out!

kayla
March 1st, 2005, 03:41 PM
Don't worry, I don't feel criticized at all! And if everyone was on the side of the SPCA I would probably be bashing them, just like to play the devil's advocate :evil: I'm should be able to find homes for them before I have to give them back to the SPCA though, so no one needs to worry about their fate, they will be fine!

Some other names that have been suggested for momma cat are Mana, Mystic, Nairobi, Pikachou, Zambuca, Bonsai, and Lilliput, and Digit (because she has 6 toes). Still can't decide on one though!

She had two grey cuties in all, here is a pic of them:

coonlover
March 1st, 2005, 03:54 PM
AWWW they are precious,thats cute she has six toes, Mystic is a cute name for her, I'm glad they are all doing good. :thumbs up

BMDLuver
March 1st, 2005, 04:33 PM
Awwww, lovely little one's. I like mystic too!

chico2
March 1st, 2005, 04:35 PM
Thank's for the picture,gets me all warm and fuzzy inside :love: I think Mystic is a great name for a black kitty or maybe just Misty :love:

CyberKitten
March 1st, 2005, 04:40 PM
Wow! I read this thread at first and did not get back to it till now and there is a whole new family!! So cute!! I like the name Midnight Louise - like Carol N Douglas or is it the other way around too? (Of course I prefer little sweetheart Yum Yum of Lilian Jackson Baum fame but Midnight Louie and his daughter Midnight Louise are great too! :) )

Where I live, the SPCA is pretty much the only game in town and there are many dedicated volunteers. My sense is that in larger areas, the SPCA suffers from too much govt thinking and they do not do innovative things. Here, the SPCA is almost like what most nonprofit rescues are like - there are bake sales and so forth.

What will you name the kittens? What gender are they?

heidiho
March 1st, 2005, 05:21 PM
I love the name Zambuca

Lucky Rescue
March 1st, 2005, 06:16 PM
Awww - lookit the babies and their happy mamma! Kayla, I will be happy to list these kittens for you. Lots of people calling and asking for kittens lately!!

happycats
March 1st, 2005, 06:30 PM
OMG I didn't know she had babies !!!!! Wow the are adorable!

I like the names: Hershey, Holly, Shadow, Nestle, Oreo, Tara, Chipit, Snickers, Cadbury, ,(Sorry, having a chocolate craving) Oh, Coco is another one.

maddoxies
March 1st, 2005, 06:38 PM
The regular staff at our SPCA do their best with what they've got and the rules they are stuck with. Remember, they have families to feed and need to keep their jobs too. Staff members have cheered as I walked through the lobby with a couple of the dogs that I have rescued from there. The issues are further up the food chain than the front line workers.

kayla
March 1st, 2005, 06:44 PM
I'm not sure of their gender, I haven't wanted to pick them up yet to check. Aren't I supposed to wait until they are 2 weeks old to handle them? Mind you I could pick them up really quickly just to check...

90v 9[p;;;;;;;;;;;; <--- hehe, that was momma cat saying hello and demanding attention, maybe now is a good time to go check out those kittens of hers...

CyberKitten
March 1st, 2005, 07:23 PM
As someone who had to "mother" and hand rear four kittens who had lost their mother, I can assure you do not have to wait two weeks. In fact, kittens handled properly by humans are among the best socialized and most friendly. Hand reared kittens are super friendly but have their own "issues". Just do not overdo it and be careful with mom - if you move them too much, she may move the entire crew to a new location. You need to handle them to check them for illness, gender and when you take them to the vet, preferbly asap, one or 2 weeks and earlier if there are probs. They need to be given a checkup to make sure they are healthy - they make look healthy but they still need tests - to rule out heart murmurs and other problems. (Just as you would take your human baby to a pediatrician or your GP)

kayla
March 1st, 2005, 08:10 PM
I just called my vet to make an appointment but they said that unless I notice something wrong it is better to leave them at home where it is quiet so I don't stress them out too much.

I also talked to someone at the SPCA and they said I can give them pictures when the kittens are 8 weeks old and they will post them and people can adopt them by the time they are ready at 10 weeks so they will never have to go back to the SPCA except to get fixed and vaccinated. They also said I can keep mom cat until a placement home is found for her, and if none is found, well, guess I'll just have to keep her ;)

CyberKitten
March 1st, 2005, 08:29 PM
I hope you get to keep her! And hope the kittens find wonderful forever homes. Will they allow you to adopt them too - if they are not adopted.

I find that a curious comment from a vet. Even as a teenager, I took the four I was caring for to a vet. Does the vet know this is your first time looking after newborn kittens and a mom? (I do not mean to question your abilities but people who do it often (and I am not in that category either) know what to look for - ie, what the standard is for certain breeds, whether the heart is beating properly, taking temps, weighing them once a week and so forth. Are you equipped to determine whether they are OK is I guess what I am asking. When I was looking after "my" kittens, I had absolutely no idea how to take their temp but fortunately my grandmother did. She also had to "sex" them for me. The vet taught me how to evaluate their eyes, their skin, whether they were eliminating properly and all that fun stuff. Granted, I was in the situation of being a standin for mom.

The people I adopted my little Siamese kitty from had already taken the kitties to a vet twice - once at two weeks to have a checkup and the second time, to have their first vaccines. I just assumed that was par for the course but maybe I am mistaken. (I am one to call the vet at about the first sneeze!)

Good luck with your family!!

kayla
March 1st, 2005, 09:28 PM
I'm torn, I don't want to disturb the newborns just yet with a vet visit because they are so fragile at this stage, but the mommy smells bad again. The vet said this is probably just her not cleaning herself properly, but it's a weird smell. Maybe I will phone a couple more vets tomorrow to see what they think. It would be reassuring to get them looked at though, to make sure they are healthy and the right weight and everything.

Oh, I think there is one boy and one girl, hard to tell though!

CyberKitten
March 1st, 2005, 10:47 PM
I have to say - I really don't know about this vet. I wonder if the smell might be a urinary tract infection of some kind? Certain bladder infections smell. Your cat could have for example, cystitis.

I found a site where someone complained about their cat with a bad odor - and it was a symptom of a uti. Their problem was trying to get their kitty to take amoxicillin and Vit C. The vet responded:
The best approach to this problem would be to obtain a urine sample for
culture by withdrawing it directly from the bladder with a needle, to
try to identify the bacteria involved and to pick the best possible
antibiotic based on sensitivity testing, which can be done in conjunction with the culture. Even with the signs you are seeing there is a small chance that
there isn't a bacterial infection but it does seem likely. If the urine
cultures were negative it would make the possibility that the problem is
due to other causes, such as chronic interstitial cystitis, more likely.
This is a hard condition to treat but there are medications that seem to
help some cats.

As far as the antibiotics go, I think that you have several choices. The
first is to use an antibiotic that has been made into a flavored gel or
liquid by a compounding pharmacy. There are enough flavors that it is
usually possible to find one that a cat will eat when it is mixed with
their food. Many antibiotics can be mixed with flavorings without
altering their effectiveness. There is also the possibility of making the
antibiotic into a transdermal gel, which is applied to the skin and carries the
antibiotic into the body. This approach works well with some
antibiotics. I am willing to dispense injectable antibiotics that can be given
subcutaneously after showing my clients how to administer them, but a
lot of vets won't do this. The antibiotics do sting in most cases and it is
important to realize that and to be careful not to get bitten or
scratched when the cat gets tired of the injections and starts to retaliate for
them.
The last choice is to arrange for hospitalization long enough to
administer a complete course of antibiotics, or to bring her in daily for
injections (which usually means your vet has to come in on his or her days off to give them unless the clinic is open 7 days a week). Most cats actually do fine when they are hospitalized, even some that don't otherwise leave their homes. However, it is more stressful.

If this is a bacterial infection it would be a good idea to look for an
underlying cause of recurrent bladder infections, such as bladder
stones, pyelonephritis, diabetes, Cushing's disease (uncommon in cats), feline
leukemia virus, feline immunodeficiency virus and sometimes
hyperthyroidism. If none of these things is found and the problems
continue to recur it may be necessary to do urine cultures a week or two after stopping antibiotics and continuing them again if the cultures show
bacterial growth, then repeating the process until the cultures are
negative may be necessary.

I know you like this vet but I wonder if there is a clinic in your area for cats only?

nuttynutmeg
March 1st, 2005, 10:53 PM
How are all the babies doing? Momma cat looks my cat Chantilly,almost identical. When I chose names for my cats I just picked the first that came to mind. Just look in her eyes and she will tell you. That's all you need to know. If you are concerned about the weight of the kittens,buy yourself a little scale and weigh them daily,very easily done. But please make sure you feed momma lots of food,they tend to lose quite a bit and she will look very thin. Keep feeding her kitten food until the kittens are weaned,she will then be able to keep up the demands of nursing the babies. All animals need an angel and momma cat and her babies did,YOU!!!! You have definently earned your wings :thumbs up

kayla
March 2nd, 2005, 10:26 AM
Thanks for the advice Cyberkitten. I phoned another vet that specializes in cats and they also said not to be concerned about the smell unless I notice she looks uncomfortable or she strains when she pees, which could be a sign of a urinary infection. She seems to be OK now but I will keep an eye on her.

I've tried asking her her name but she just looks at me and says "I'm a mom!" and purrs and licks her baby so for now I am calling her "Momma Cat." I'm sure a better name will come to me eventually! Misty might be a cute name for one of the baby furballs, but I will wait to see what their personalities are like. I can hardly even tell them apart at this point! Unless I look under the tails ;)

Shamrock
March 2nd, 2005, 02:54 PM
Kayla, I missed the news - didnt realize you now had babies! awww.. they are adorable!
Bless you for what you are doing for this dear-mom cat and her little ones. I'm so glad they are doing well and nursing.
You are most definitely their angel.. :angel:
I think as mentioned, the names will just "come" to you.... :love:
Best wishes with this little fur family, Kayla.