Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

training to poop in one spot

Catt31
February 26th, 2005, 04:00 PM
How do you do this??? We just bought a house 2 weeks ago, and I just spent an hour cleaning it up.. ALL over the place, and his aren't tiny turds either, they are SPEED BUMP turds!!!!

IS there a way to train Brick to poop in one spot in the yard? Is it too late?

:confused:

Sneaky2006
February 26th, 2005, 05:19 PM
I asked this same darn question a little while ago!
There's really no way unless you take the dog out each and every time on a leash... he may get the hang of it, but it's not certain that he will always go in the same spot once you don't take him out yourself anymore.

meowzart
February 26th, 2005, 05:44 PM
yes it is possible. Just take them out every time on a leash to the same place. Give them a minute and a 'go potty' command, then back inside.

We now let Gemma out on her own and she does her business in one area (conveniently on the gravel) and the rest is her playground.

maddoxies
February 27th, 2005, 10:28 AM
There are also sprays to attract an animal to eliminate in a certain place. They might be less effective outdoors than indoors (used for paper training), but evey little bit might help.

When I had a house (and 3000 sq ft back yard), my guys tended to "naturally" use one area more than others, but it was still spread around.

See if Brick tends to use one area more than others, if that is a suitable area, taking him there, using the spray may all combine to help him get the idea.

Writing4Fun
February 27th, 2005, 12:20 PM
I saw a product at Global's that might work for you, unfortunately I forget what it's called. :o The packaging has a picture of a fire hydrant on it, but it's basically a spike that gets driven into the ground in the appropriate area. It's filled with some kind of chemical or scent or whatever (sorry for my "non-technicalese") that attracts them to the spot each time. Kinda like the way they're attracted to the same pole/bush on your daily walks. :D I don't remember how much it cost, but I know it was more than $20. Otherwise I would have picked it up myself. :p (I'm thinking probably closer to $40).

Sneaky2006
February 27th, 2005, 01:01 PM
I've looked into those stakes and they're for urine.

Lucky Rescue
March 1st, 2005, 08:28 PM
Not much you can do unless you take him out on leash every time.

I did this with Chloe for ages after I got her - took her down to the end of my property and taught her "Hurry up". Now, if I go out in the yard with her and she's offleash, she will go down to the potty spot.

If I do not go out with her, she'll just go anywhere, although she doesnt' like to go near the house.

I'm lucky that I don't need to scoop, but for the rest of you who do, just one of the pleasures of dog ownership.;)

Catt31
March 2nd, 2005, 07:28 AM
ACk, what a pain in the butt!!! Maybe this summer I will try it, see how it goes!!! For now.....it will be Tim's job!!! LMAO :rolleyes: