Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

HELP!I need a plane to bring dog to Nova Scotia from South Carolina!!

Flyinby
February 26th, 2005, 12:45 PM
Help! I recently found the perfect dog for us and found out she is in North Carolina! I live in Nova Scotia and the dog is in foster care down there.. the people fostering her might have to turn her back in to the shelter because they have 2 other dogs of their own. I am desperate to get this dog to us...I called a friend who works for Air Canada and they said that no airline will put a dog on a plane without it's owner on board... I am unable to go to get her beause I have 2 children under 18 months.. HELP!! I can't just forget about her....any advice on what to do? Anyone travelling back and forth? The owner wants us to have the dog soo bad that they would be willing to drive as far as Washington to help get her here.. I know it sounds crazy but if ANYONE knows someone coming to Halifax, ETC from the US the owner said they would work with us to get her here!! ANY SUGGESTIONS???? THANKS!!!

mafiaprincess
February 26th, 2005, 12:52 PM
Breeders put dogs and cats on planes by themselves all the time. Just start checking airline sites if you want to fly the dog to you. The foster family would crate and put the dog on a plane, and you would pick it up at the airport. It shouldn't be a huge hassel, but I've heard some airlines are better than others for transporting animals.

Flyinby
February 26th, 2005, 01:04 PM
Hello,
I had thought that as well, but the man I have been dealing with said that they do not want to put her on a plane because of the way the cargo staff "toss things around". She is a small dog and he wants her to be onboard I guess. I almost want to say to him it is better to put her on a plane than to have her waiting in foster care or worse placed back in the shelter where she could be put down.. I asked about that possibility and he said that they wouldn't do that. She was in a High kill shelter and he told me that over 2400 animals were put down last year! It made me sick to hear that.. We have been searching for the perfect dog for months, I have to have her!! :) thanks

mafiaprincess
February 26th, 2005, 01:12 PM
Not sure if either of these will help, but here's a few airline links for unaccompanied animals.

http://www.nwa.com/services/shipping/cargo/products/liveanship.html#Service

http://www.unitedcargo.com/services/SpecAnimals.jsp

http://www.flypets.com/default.asp

http://www.havedogswilltravel.com/travel_Airlines.htm

And American Airlines was flying unaccompanied pets in December... I'd seriously start callign airlines to talk to them about service, and care, etc. Some are far better known for good service with animals than others. SC to NS is an awfully long way to try to find transport for otherwise.

meowzart
February 26th, 2005, 02:38 PM
Well forget whomever you've been talking to. I have both shipped kittens and had kittens shipped to me, and I can tell you that the cargo people take SPECIAL care of the little animals. They have told me that they keep them on their desk until it's time to load the plane, they fuss over them. Give them water if necessary. They are handled very well. You need to find an airline with as direct flight as possible from place to place, and phone them and ask for the cargo department and speak to someone there about the procedure. It's not that difficult. If we can safely ship 5 pound kittens from NJ to Alberta ; from Alberta to New Mexico, and Victoria to Calgary we can ship a puppy that far!!!

meowzart
February 26th, 2005, 02:39 PM
BTW - you need to find out what shots etc are required to ship across the border and make sure the puppy has them as well as a health certificate from the vet. This will add to your cost.

CyberKitten
February 26th, 2005, 03:05 PM
Delta and Continental both serve the Halifax airport - it is a small Delta Express flight Hfx/BOS but call them!! I flew AC with my cat but I was on the plane - from Halifax to Florida. I have flown in the past with animals on Delta and they have a good reputation. Call them!!