Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Halti or gentle leader?

Sneaky2006
February 25th, 2005, 10:47 PM
What is the difference between the two, if any?
They could be the same thing for all I know. I think both of these go around the head one way or another.
Yukon pulls so much and is out of control on walks and it's not getting easier! So something like this I think would work better until we can get some kind of training for him. (and us!)
All pics I've seen were just of the product, so I can't tell what they look like.

twinmommy
February 25th, 2005, 10:52 PM
The gentle leader rocks!! It is the only way I could walk my two demons, uh I mean, DOGS, when I was pregnant with the girls. (I thought they could sense when we didn't feel 100%...ah well.) they would've dragged me across town without this fantastic thing. You will love it. :thumbs up it's like a "harness" that goes across the snout and hooks underneath--so when they pull it tightens.

p.s. the Halti is the same thing , I believe just a different brand name.(and wider over the snout...)

ScottGoodburn
February 26th, 2005, 07:54 AM
I would recommend the halti or gentle leader anyday, my kids can't walk my Buddy unless the halti is on. IT WORKS GREAT, and YES , they are the same thing, different brand name

les
February 26th, 2005, 09:28 AM
Hi :)

Actually gentle leaders and halti's ARE NOT the same thing - although people use both terms to mean both or either alot of the time.

Halti

The Halti is probably the best choice for most people due to its ease of adjustment, ready availability, and high effectiveness. It is sold through numerous websites and many pet stores including PetSmart, generally at prices ranging from $9.00 to $20.00.

Once you have selected the correct size for your dog, it can be adjusted for proper fit simply by loosening or tightening a single sliding buckle at the back of the dog's neck. It is easy to tell if you have the Halti adjusted properly; simply grasp the strap that goes over the top of the dog's muzzle and pull forward firmly. If you cannot pull the strap off over the dog's nose, it fits. If you CAN pull it off, your dog will be able to as well - and you can count on his taking full advantange of that fact.

The Halti's sizing guide tends to be overly generous; for instance the size listed as appropriate for a German Shepherd would work for a large, adult, male German Shepherd. If you have a young dog, a female, or a moderately sized example of your breed, choose one size smaller than listed.

For those of you with aggressive dogs, a mild muzzling effect can be accomplished by pulling up at a backwards angle with the leash. This will momentarily close the dog's mouth and pull his head to the side. The main disadvantage of the Halti is that if it breaks or the dog succeeds in removing it from his muzzle (should not happen if properly adjusted) he can easily escape from the loose, flimsy loop remaining around his neck.

OR

Gentle Leader

One of the more aggressively advertised and promoted brands, the Gentle Leader is my least favorite of the three main headcollar choices. The design is simple and sturdy: one loop goes around the muzzle and another wider one around the neck. The two straps are connected just under the dog's throat, where the leash attaches. They come in a number of attractive colors, unlike the Halti and Snoot Loop, which are only sold in black. The instructions that come with it are good, and the company has a nice website.

But the flaws are many. There are no side straps holding the muzzle loop in place, so it tends to be very easy for dogs to remove. To prevent this, both the collar and neck straps must be VERY snug. This, combined with the fact that the straps are wider than those on the Halti or Snoot Loop, makes this headcollar the most annoying for the dog.

Because your leash attaches under the throat (rather than the chin), you have less leverage with which to control the dog's head. While still better than other anti-pulling products, the Gentle Leader is the least effective headcollar.

You have no ability whatsoever to muzzle your dog in a pinch using the Gentle Leader. And they tend to be more expensive than the other brands, usually starting at about $18.00 and going up in price from there. you can but them through this link at PetSmart.

I recently (11/06/02) received an email from a Premier representative informing me of some positive design changes. The email from Premier reads:

"I also would like to pass on some information regarding the Gentle Leader-this past year we have switched to a narrower(3/8")nose loop on the medium and large GL. While the neck strap does need to be snug (often having an observable calming effect), the nose loop is loose enough to pull to the fleshy part of the dog's nose. The snugger the neck strap the looser the nose loop. While the GL is not a muzzle, the dog's mouth can be closed by pulling up on the leash.

More information at: http://www.geocities.com/jetflair/halti.html

My obedience class I'm in now likes Gentle Leaders not Haltis - but they are teaching us to train the dog not to force him into walking nicely!

Hope that helps a little :)
Leslie

Katherine1
February 26th, 2005, 10:09 AM
Does anyone know about this product to help control pulling while walking? I went to the pet store closest to me to check out the halti or gentle leader. The didn't carry the gentle leader said that I would have to go to the animal hospital in town that sells them. They did have the halti but the guy told me that he strongly recommended the lupi as he has used them on 150 pound dogs and found them to be most effective. I was so confused I didn't get either one of them. Molly I am thinking is somewhere between 60 and 75 pounds and when we go for a walk still has not consistantly learned not to try dragging mum behind her. Right now I am using a choke collar and a few quick pulls by me calms her down a bit but not for long. I didn't have Molly with me the day that I went there but he did say that if I brought her in I could try it before I bought it. I think the price was $17.99 . Is this something that anyone think might work better than the halti or gentle leader or should I try the halti or gentle leader instead?

ScottGoodburn
February 26th, 2005, 12:31 PM
I apologize for saying the halti and the gentle leader were the same thing, thank you for clarifying that for me, now I know too! silly me!

les
February 26th, 2005, 01:00 PM
I also thought they were the same thing and I was surprised to find out they aren't :)

meowzart
February 26th, 2005, 03:43 PM
Well here's my experience with our spaniel. We went through two halti's - SHE HATED THEM!!! She went wild with them on her nose - was awful to walk, and ended up being able to get them into her mouth and chew them apart. (in 10 seconds or less)

So we went to the LUPI and LOVED LOVED LOVED IT. It worked well, and it didn't drive her batty. And no more pulling. I agree with the store owner :)

twinmommy
February 26th, 2005, 04:13 PM
Thanks Les!!

Thanks to your elaborate answer, I'm off to get a Halti, I think it'll suit more our needs...I had no idea there was a difference!!

:thumbs up :)

Sneaky2006
February 26th, 2005, 06:22 PM
Thank you guys!
I think we're leaning towards a halti too.

LL1
February 26th, 2005, 08:43 PM
I personally would go with the Gentle Leader.I have not yet had one of my rescues in foster homes slip out of one,but had some escape Haltis.I know friends who had dogs escape Haltis as well.While you work on leash manners I think they are an invaluable tool.Going from walking a big dog and not being able to hold the dog at all,and tethering the leash to my waist for support and then using a Gentle Leader and holding easily with one hand did it for me.They are also available at some pet stores.

twinmommy
February 26th, 2005, 08:53 PM
I guess it just depends on the dog, because we went from a large size Gentle Leader, all the way down to a small--and she'd still get out of it!! We played with the "slip clip" under the chin too. No dice. Extra small won't fit her round the neck. (we are a bit c-h-u-b-b-y...shh! keep it down!! LOL)

Anyways, the smaller ones are for smaller dogs obviously, and she behaves beautifully on her walks with it. I would switch over to a Halti because of the said "light muzzle" effect when she wears it inside the house. We are still working on the aggression thing(forever, my big sucky!!) and this helps alot. :thumbs up

Spurby
February 26th, 2005, 11:44 PM
The trainer i just had to see my foster dog is a big advocate of the gentle leader with certain dogs. She told me they don't make them like they used too, apparently the ones they make now aren't too sturdy? I just ordered a couple through her, the old style ones that are more sturdy. I had the halti before, so i never knew the difference in style, just different makers.

LL1
February 26th, 2005, 11:57 PM
What breed/cross is your dog twinmommy?And weight and ideal weight LOL.I have had it used on dogs from 55 pounds and up to 100.