Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Is Buddy protecting?

ScottGoodburn
February 25th, 2005, 08:10 PM
Buddy, my retriever, collie, heeler mix is awesome. just have a question. If I play fight or wrestle with my 8 year old, buddy will jump up and get really excited and bark, he does not bite. He also barks and gets excited when I pick up my 5 year old daughter. Is he protecting them? He only does this with my kids. He is not aggressive at all, Just wondering.

twinmommy
February 25th, 2005, 08:21 PM
Funny, his "buddy" Jake does the same thing....must be the colie in them part of the herding/work dog genes.

Jake gets so excited and "full of himself" that we can actually leave the room and he'll stay there yipping and yapping and pacing back and forth....it's really funny. We reward him after for "doing his job" and he's so proud of himself... :D

ScottGoodburn
February 25th, 2005, 08:24 PM
I should have asked you first Twinmommy, seeing as they look so much alike!
thanks

Spurby
February 26th, 2005, 10:25 PM
Just sounds like Buddy wants to be part of the action, and is letting you know this!!

Luvmypit
February 28th, 2005, 03:06 PM
I had a border collie named max that did the same. We would as kids show are friends that if they ever tried anything with us Max would get them. My brothers would pretend to beat me up, (sometimes it wasn't pretend :mad: ) and Max would bounce around us barking mad. He never bit one of us and there were four rambunctious kids in the house constantly fighting and wrestling. I would say its pretty safe just be careful and wacth your dogs position and movement while hes doing this. You may one day do something that he preceives as really threatning to one of his pack and lash out. Just be careful but Im sure it is ok and you will be fine.

happycats
February 28th, 2005, 03:54 PM
Luvmy pit, that is to funny, because we had a BC mix growing up, and my brother did the same thing, but one time when he wasn't pretending, I told the dog "get him, bite him" and the dog did !! :evil:
But we found that as long as you didn't ask the dog to interfere, she wouldn't, she would just bark and jump around.

TWilson9498
February 28th, 2005, 04:04 PM
lol, We had a lab mix when I was growing up who did the same thing. He was more protective of me, as it sounds some of these dogs favored the girl. I have 2 older brothers and they were always picking on me as well, but once it wasn't pretend anymore and I did the same "get him" thing, well he got him alright, bit him right one the butt! My brother never again "picked" on me pretend or not! Anytime the dog was around me, my brother was the nicest kid ever, even learned to play barbie and dolls! :evil:

ScottGoodburn
February 28th, 2005, 04:12 PM
Well, even if my son tells buddy to "get me" he doesn't he just barks and trys to get in on the fun! Must be nothing I should worry about!

Luvmypit
February 28th, 2005, 04:18 PM
Dogs can sense when its play and when its not most of the time. So what it sounds like is your buddy is just playing trying to get in on the action. Nothing to worry. Just always be careful to watch the dogs body and face just in case one day he thinks its serious. Happy cats I hear ya at that one. Once I looked at the dog and gave him my hes hurting me face that is when he would start jumping on my brothers, they always stopped after that. Never got bit. But boy did I wish it on them.... hee hee

happycats
February 28th, 2005, 04:19 PM
Twilson, I have 2 older brothers to, and I must say my dog made situations easier sometimes !!!

Luvmy pit, dont tell me you have 2 older brothers to ??

TWilson9498
February 28th, 2005, 05:41 PM
Yep, my dog made my situations better, that's for sure! Now my 4 yr old daughter will call Paco in her room and then call my 6 yr old son. Well once my son walks in the room she will yell and scream stop it Nicholas! (He hasn't done anything except walk in the room mind you) Well here comes Paco acting all crazy barking at my son, and there is my daughter rolling on the floor laughing so hard she can't breathe! She's so mean! He doesn't even bother her,yet her lil mean butt makes the dog wanna bark and yelp at him. Nicholas walks out of the room and Paco will try to attack his socks, making Nicholas run, cauing Paco to chase him, and my daughter to laugh harder. I swear training dogs to play nice is much easier than daughters!

happycats
February 28th, 2005, 05:49 PM
I just have one 4 year old son, that's why I would love to get a dog, I think he would just love to have a furbrother!!
He has 5 furkitties, but they don't play with him, (they actually avoid him like the plague !!) he's not mean to them or anything, they just love being petted and nothing else! They don't play fetch very well, and he can't take them for a walk! So we are thinking it's about time to get him a dog (I think I want one as much as he does).

ScottGoodburn
February 28th, 2005, 05:55 PM
My daughter just turned 5 and she loves Buddy with all her heart, allthough she nicknamed him WAADGEY! Don't ask why? we don't know either! My 8 year old is so proud of him, especially when Buddy catches his toys out of the air! I just posted a pic of them playing in the snow. In the pictures area in here! Get your boy a dog! He'll love'em

TWilson9498
February 28th, 2005, 05:55 PM
My son is dying for a cat, he says cats are nicer and his sister won't be able to train the cat to attack him... even though Paco has never bit him, he sure does get ill about it!
He went to his dad's yesterday and they have this bird and this really really fat cat.. well the bird, Mickey, learned to say "here kitty kitty" in a woman's voice so here comes the poor kitty thinking a woman is calling him, then Mickey says HELP ME HELP ME HELP ME! :D The poor cat gets in trouble every time, well until yesterday when they saw what Mickey was doing! That poor cat. I told my son if a bird can train a cat to get in trouble I think his sister could too, so now he's just stuck on teaching Paco to be nice..

ScottGoodburn
February 28th, 2005, 05:56 PM
TWilson, we both posted here right at the same time! HAHA!