Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Question

coonlover
February 25th, 2005, 01:54 PM
My yoshi has been chewing on her back claws lately like shes trying to bit them off, my question is should i give her a trim? I have cat claw clippers that I have used on Pepper when her front claws get long and she gets stuck in in rug.

GsdDiamond
February 25th, 2005, 02:38 PM
I don't recall off hand.....what is Yoshi?

coonlover
February 25th, 2005, 02:56 PM
LOL sorry she's my cat.

chico2
February 25th, 2005, 03:02 PM
CL,sure,if they look longish,clip them,but maybe she has something stuck she cannot get out,check that first.
We always clip Vinnie and Chico,Rocky will have none of it,but seems to be ok with scratching their tree.
For us it takes two people to do it,I'll hold them and cuddle them and hubbie does the clipping,works like a charmhttp://pages.prodigy.net/rogerlori1/emoticons/catani.gif

coonlover
February 26th, 2005, 11:04 AM
Well that was fun! Yoshi was not impressed with us one bit, her back claws were very long and very sharp, my bf held her down and i clipped, she was screaming like we were beating her and smacking me with her front paws ( kinda funny) but she got my bf pretty good in the chest with her back claws. We managed to get them all done except for one claw which I will try later today. She is one pi$$ed off kitty.http://pages.prodigy.net/rogerlori1/emoticons/catmad.gif

chico2
February 26th, 2005, 11:24 AM
CL,maybe you cut them too short and it hurt him...then again,my Rocky would raise hell if we tried to trim his nails :evil: the other two are fine..
Rocky gets his trimmed only once a year at the vet,he freezes at the vet and she can do whatever she want to him,charges $10 for nail-clipping..

CyberKitten
February 26th, 2005, 12:34 PM
By all means clip them - cats should have their nails clipped peridocally. I try to clip my baby's nails about once a week tho sometimers it is once every 2 weeks.

I have always managed to clip my Yin Yin's nails by myself(my Siamese wedgie girl) but as she gets older, she is not as co-operative toward the end of the session. No matter, I do what I can and then do the rest later. It is suggested you do it when they are asleep but I do not do that. (I know my sweetheart needs her rest ;) ). I do it when she is lying down tho - not when she is in an energetic playful mood when it would be harder for her to settle down.

Only once I mistakingly cut to the quick because she was being a wigglebut and she meowed - I felt so bad. I had some cornsyrup ready tho to put on it and she was fine. That's the only "accident" we've ever had tho and probably accounts for her antsiness toward the end.