Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My malamute has a Jekyll and Hyde persona

Gripenfelter
February 25th, 2005, 12:14 AM
One day he is the perfect angel.

The next day he is pouncing on my pregnant wife and me and biting.

Usually tossing him outside for 10 mins helps. He stays plastered to the glass and cries until we let him back in. He's usually a little better but it doesn't last long.

My wife isn't able to handle him very well because of her state and he takes advantage of that. He pounces on her or stand on her while she sits on the sofa and bites her.

He listens to me more than my wife which is usually never. How do we keep him from biting?

Tried crying out when he bites and he stops for a second and then pounces again.

Lucky Rescue
February 25th, 2005, 01:18 AM
Hi and welcome!

This is a 12 week old puppy, correct? Then this behavior - jumping, biting - is not "Jekyll and Hyde" but typical puppy behavior.

Just wondering - how much research did you do before getting this breed?

Malamutes were bred to pull sleds long distances, so are powerful, energetic and independant. They can also be stubborn and domineering.

Tossing him outside will teach him nothing. He needs a lot of training, patience and consistancy. He also needs a lot of exericise and will need more and more as he matures. This is a high energy working breed, and without a job or sufficient exercise, he will be bored and may become very destructive.

I suggest you get him into obedience classes, then make sure he has some sort of job to do to burn off energy. This could be sledding, hiking with a backpack or other strenuous activity. This is not a couch potato breed and you must be prepared to give him what he needs.

Just wondering, and don't take this wrongly, but why did you get a large, high maintenence, high energy puppy when you are expecting a baby?

BMDLuver
February 25th, 2005, 08:18 AM
If your wife is expecting, you had better get this young dog into a routine and listening well before the baby arrives. Your wife is certainly not going to have time to chase after a uncontrolled pup with a newborn in her arms. Start now and it will be well worth it in a few months.

Congrats on the pending arrival btw!

Gripenfelter
February 25th, 2005, 11:10 AM
Well he is better behaved when we exercise him. I take him for a long walk everyday (3kms).

We also have a huge backyard that he runs around in.

We got this pup before we knew my wife was pregnant. She is 3 months now.

I guess I'll just have to exercise him more.

GsdDiamond
February 25th, 2005, 11:28 AM
Training is the key. Mine is also a working breed, who needs something to do. Yours is a headstrong dog. If it were me, I'd get your wife to go with you to puppy class so he gets used to the idea that you're not the only head of the house....your wife is too.

If you have no place to go for puppy class, contact the folks at Nobler Pets on Route 90. Keep him playing with other dogs now, otherwise you're going to have your hands full when he's bigger and more aggressive. Just make sure all the pups & dogs you expose him to have thier shots, since he won't have all his yet.

To stop the biting, good luck. Mine's a year old and she still play bites. All you can do is teach them not to bite hard. When he bites, yelp like a hurt puppy and turn away from him. Don't look at him, don't touch him, don't even talk, for at least 10 seconds. When you turn around, have a toy to give him. Praise him for being a good boy when he's chewing his toys. Each time he tries to bite you, yelp, turn around and ignore him. Eventually he'll get the idea that biting you (and your wife) will get him nothing. Biting his toys gets him praise and play time. He'll catch on. Mals are very smart.

mastifflover
February 25th, 2005, 11:32 AM
What would make this guy happy as he gets older is to have a job try sledding with him and as he gets better and your baby gets older he will be able to be involved hook him up to a sled in the winter and a wagon in the other months and he can pull the baby and your wife can be there it will create a real bond with the dog and the whole family. These dogs love to work there are lots of books on it. Read a bit about it my friends Newf does this with the kids and he has become the best baby sitter, he never lets anyone he does not know come to close to them, he is not aggressive at all just very watchful of stangers.

GsdDiamond
February 25th, 2005, 12:12 PM
That's a super idea!

mastifflover
February 25th, 2005, 12:27 PM
By the way he is gorgeous as are his parents he is going to be a big boy you definitely want to get on top of training him. He needs to know that you and your wife are the alpha dogs in the pack order and he is the lowest member in the order.

Gripenfelter
February 25th, 2005, 02:36 PM
GsdDiamond/mastifflover: Thanx a lot guys. I'll try your tips. I'll give Nobler a call next week and I'll buy a little children's sled fo him to pull.

Writing4Fun
February 25th, 2005, 02:51 PM
I totally agree. Your pup is absolutely beautiful! :love:

I'd suggest your wife be the one to take him to obedience classes. It sounds like he has no problem putting you in the alpha position - it's your wife who needs to work on it with him.

For now, though, you can try these tips:
- make your wife feed him all the time, and make sure he sees her putting the food in the bowl.
- she needs to make him "sit" before putting his food in his bowl, and then give him permission to go ahead and eat.
- don't let him walk up or down stairs, or through doorways ahead of her (or you). If this means keeping a leash on him all the time, then do it.
- DO NOT let him up on sofas or the bed! It's cute now, but it won't be so cute when he weighs 120lbs! :eek: Besides, this gives him the idea that he's your equal. He needs to learn that he's the lowest-ranking member of your pack.
- when he bites you or your wife, stand up, cross your arms and turn your back on him. Don't look at him at all.
- until he's learned to control his mouthing, you should not be playing with him with your hands. No roughhousing, no pushing him over trying to get him to wrestle, etc... Keep the playing limited to his toys. Toss them around for him. When he's chewing on those, praise him like there's no tomorrow.

Hope these suggestions help a little, at least until you get him into obedience classes. Good luck! :thumbs up

GsdDiamond
February 25th, 2005, 02:51 PM
That's super! Nobler does puppy classes and Basic Obedience. He does the classes himself (the owner) and is very nice, with lots of good advice.

He can also recommend classes for when your boy gets bigger and needs more intense obedience. (he has lots of connections!!)

You must have control of your puppy when you go there. If I remember, classes for Basic were about $75, but well worth it!!! I'm not sure about puppy classes....we didn't bring Diamond for those....but should have!!!

heeler's rock!
February 25th, 2005, 02:54 PM
Oh dear! I feel for you. As I said in another post to you in another thread, my husband's family has a mal and he's just going through a lot of training againa s he's already bitten someone, and a dog. Mals are extremely dominant dogs and unlike many other dogs breeds, they work with you, not for you. If you let him comtinue his bad behaviour, he'll own you and your wife in a few months. Mals are very stubborn and can become VERY destructive. They have a tendency to break out of anything trying to hold them in. For example, the in-law's mal has broken out of the yard numerous times so leaving them unattended is not a wise idea. Another mal I knew chewed a hole through the garage to get out. That's right, THROUGH the garage.

The first thing you need to do is establish Alpha with him. Do not let him up on any of the furniture, at all. Using his leash, keep him tied to your waist for a minimum of 2 hours a day. This will teach him that you are the boss, and he only goes where you go. I wouldn't recommend treat training, as that doesn't establish any sort of alpha status with you. Mals are very smart and can be hard to manage. Look for a trainer that doesn't use treats, and take your wife with you. I know she can't keep him attached to her waist as it's not good for the baby, but she needs to start taking a firm stand with him before he turns out to be unruly. A great malamute site is www.malamuterescue.com. They specifically deal with malamutes and have great training tips and resources. Good luck!

meowzart
February 26th, 2005, 03:57 PM
Using his leash, keep him tied to your waist for a minimum of 2 hours a day.

Actually I kept our puppy tied to me most of the time she was out and about in the house. Where I went she went. she learned where she could sit and rest, and to walk behind me. I could see what she was chewing on and when she needed to pee. It works really well. This shouldn't be difficult for your wife at this stage of the pregnancy - she can even loop the leash through a belt loop.

I got a training lead from Sarah Hodgson as well as used her books - they were EXTREMELY helpful in those early days before we could get to puppy classes.

http://www.simplysarah.com/store/store.asp (http://)

I recommend her books "Puppies for Dummies" and "You and your puppy"