Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Question.. Is here not old enough yet?

goldenblaze
February 24th, 2005, 09:16 PM
Blaze is one yr old male, neutered at 6 mths and still peeing like a girl :o Jordie is male neutered, uses a pee post we have but will pee on ground over Blaze's.

Question is this normal for a one yr old male to be doing this still :confused: My other male dogs always peed like a boy from say nine mths.

Would there be any reason for this at this age, nothing medical I hope. If anyone can offer any info or advice that would be great, but please don't call Blaze a sissy :D just joking.

maddoxies
February 24th, 2005, 09:25 PM
Champ is 8.5 years old and sometimes lifts his leg and sometimes pees like a girl. Valentin makes a big deal of lifting his leg (of course, when you are a mini doxie, you have to make big gestures in order to be seen).

I would not worry, lifting the leg to urinate is a learned behaviour

Ear scratches to your babies

BMDLuver
February 25th, 2005, 07:28 AM
Our friends Golden is over two, he still squats to pee. I think I'd rather the squatting than leg lifting myself.

SarahLynn123
February 25th, 2005, 08:34 AM
My Belle lifts her leg when she pee's!

Princesss04
February 25th, 2005, 08:34 AM
Meat Loaf is almost one and he still pees like a girl. LOL :eek: But I am glad because I can always tell when he is going to go. Like when he was little I could always tell if he was going to have a accident in the house becuase he would start to get in the pee position. LOL Chino is peeing like a little girl as well but he is still little. But I do not mind becuase than you do not have to worry about them lifting there leg to nothing. LOL ;) :eek: :D

maddoxies
February 25th, 2005, 08:38 AM
Lifting the leg is not a natural behaviour, it is a learned behaviour. So if they don't see it, they don't learn to do it.

I noticed that Champ lifts his leg less since we moved to Montreal. Perhaps it is a coincidence (age and hips), or he is not exposing himself to more cold than absolutely necessary.

mastifflover
February 25th, 2005, 08:50 AM
When I got Bud he had not been neutered yet (he is now) because of his fear of everyone we decided to wait until he felt more secure. But he always lifted his leg to the point I thought he would fall over. Since he has been neutered he lifts his leg less and less which is fine with me. But he doesn't squat he stretches out. Bud is 3

Schwinn
February 25th, 2005, 09:25 AM
My parents dog always squatted, with a little bit of a lift of one leg. We think he may have been bi. :D

I wouldn't worry about it. I don't think it's an issue. Of course, the macho dogs may make fun of him.

Dukieboy
February 25th, 2005, 09:47 AM
Duke just sort of leans and pees. No sign of leg lifting. He is just over a year now.

Luvmypit
February 25th, 2005, 09:52 AM
Not to worry. Capone is 2 and most of the time is a sqautter. I say out of ten pees he lifts his leg 3 times. Not to worry. Maybe get him a pink scarf j/k(anyone see south park last night with the gay dog?) Ok its just me.

Goldenmom
February 25th, 2005, 10:00 AM
No worries! I have many Golden friends with males that still do this at the age of 5 years old. Doesn't make a difference on temperment, obedience, nothing! Perfectly normal and nothing to worry about.

Heather and her 3 Golden Girls

Copper'sMom
February 25th, 2005, 11:17 AM
LOL I asked my vet the same question when Copper was six months old! She said he would start any day! He's 4 years old now and 9 times out of 10, he squats!!!! He only started to lift his leg when he met my b/f's dog who is male and he lifts his leg all of the time! Monkey see mokey do with my dog!! Most people(men) make fun of my dog :( because he's a squatter! Oh Well!

meb999
February 25th, 2005, 11:46 AM
Georgie squatted his whole life! The vet told us that since we had him neutered early and he wasn't around leg lifters, he would never lift.
Then again, he was a bit of a sissy...the best dog in the world, but still a sissy. Our three pound abassinian cat used to terrorize him! He was even afraid of garbage bags...I miss him and his sissy ways!!!!

pollito
February 25th, 2005, 01:22 PM
i have a female who lifts her leg since she was 1 and a half, now she is 3 and a half and does it most of the time, most people confuse her with a male because of that, she started doing it during a winter, as her paws would get cold of standing at one place while she peed (in summer she lifts on leg, in winter she usually pees while standing only on two front legs, makes me laugh every time, 50 pound female pees standing on two legs, you don't see it every day), ot it might also be because that out of 14 of her dog buddies 9 are males and very macho.

Writing4Fun
February 25th, 2005, 01:38 PM
My sister's dog only recently started lifting his leg, and he'll be two this April. Now that he's figured out how to do it, though, he makes quite the production of it (head up, ears forward, tail fanned...). :p Men! :rolleyes:

Pisces20
February 25th, 2005, 01:43 PM
My parent's JRT who is 10 years old now, always lifts her leg when we walk her in public. She is always marking whatever she can. The vet told my parents it was so she could get her scent up higher, and other dogs would think she was a bigger dog. Who knows. A friend of mine has a beagle mix, and 9 times out of 10 he pees like a female dog. If there is no one to impress, why lift your leg?

caliper
February 25th, 2005, 03:00 PM
Hey you all, Eventually and when I get my dog I'll rewrite on this post and let yu know. For now i'll just read about it. Thanks Cal... :thumbs up

goldenblaze
February 26th, 2005, 08:14 PM
So I can say it is just me again being worried over nothing :o

I really didn't think it was anything to do with health but did wonder as any other male dog peed like a boy by 9 mths old.

Even Jordie as little as he is and close to the ground, he still lifts he leg some. He will pee over Blaze's but his leg still moves up some. :D

As for meaning anything to me I really don't mind if he ever starts to lift his leg or not, just though it was weird.

I now know Blaze is normal after all :grouphug:

doggy lover
March 1st, 2005, 07:48 AM
My dogs have never lifted their legs Travis was 9 and a half when he was pts and he never did, Tucker is almost 10 months and has never lifted his. Both were fixed at six months so that is part of it and I guess if its a learned thing I should get my husband out and get him to teach Tucker what a pic that would make.LOL

glasslass
March 2nd, 2005, 06:49 PM
Den-Den didn't lift his leg til he was 4yo. He still prefers to squat. The only time he lifts his leg if when other male dogs are present.

goldenblaze
March 2nd, 2005, 08:29 PM
Den-Den didn't lift his leg til he was 4yo. He still prefers to squat. The only time he lifts his leg if when other male dogs are present.

Jordie is a male :eek: but he does pee pretty low and close to the ground. :D I'm not worried if Blaze always squattes, I did wonder if anyone had seen this in their own dog before.... thanks everyone. :)

wjranch
March 3rd, 2005, 08:15 AM
You have 2 male dogs? Both neutered?
One of them is more territorial and thus marks the spot the other urinated on. This is normal behavior and nothing at all to worry about.
The dog that doesn't lift is simply urinating to relieve himself, the dog that 'covers' the others urine is doing it to re-mark his territory.

Good Luck and dont' worry none,they're fine.

goldenblaze
March 3rd, 2005, 09:24 AM
wjranch, thanks what you write makes since. Blaze will never pee anywhere but at home , we go for walk and Jordie is peeing over other dogs pee, Blaze keeps walking.

I know he is fine, no worries. :thumbs up

Sqwuakhouse
March 3rd, 2005, 12:25 PM
Our American Cocker Spaniel will 13 yrs old in June. We adopted him at 2 yrs and he has never lifted his leg to pee. There is absolutely nothing to worry about. :)

wAggie
March 3rd, 2005, 06:08 PM
goldenblaze, in answer to the 1 yr old,... ABSOLUTELy!

I used to stand next to Chocolate as he was ready to pee and LIFT his leg for hiM!!

I think he was almost/around 2 yo before he started raising his leg... and it may have been (sorry, I forget the timeline) around the time I got Honey...

perhaps it was then that Chocolate gained some form of "domination" and tried to tell her in his way (peeing higher :p )

goldenblaze
March 3rd, 2005, 08:11 PM
My black Lab before blaze was only 9 mths and lifted his leg.

That is why I wondered about blaze. I really don't care if he never does it.... Jordie does even when peeing on ground over blaze's pee. :)