Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Pit Bull Shot After Biting Officer

heidiho
February 24th, 2005, 03:36 PM
DENVER -- A Denver police officer is being treated for several dog bites he suffered while trying to make an arrest Thursday morning.

Two Denver officers went to a home in the 3700 block of High Street around 7 a.m., trying to apprehend a man wanted for questioning in a recent homicide.

As officers were approaching the home, a pit bull rushed the front door and latched on to an officer's bicep area, Denver police said.

That officer, John Albergotti, stumbled backwards and was able to briefly fight off the pit bull but the animal continued to attack, biting the officer's forearm, Denver police spokeswoman Virginia Lopez said.

During the struggle, Albergotti grabbed his revolver with his free hand and shot the dog. The pit bull loosened its grip on the officer after it was wounded but it was still "active" and continued to pose a threat to officers, so Albergotti's partner shot the dog again, killing it, Lopez said.

Albergotti was taken to Denver Health to be stitched up. Police said that, luckily, he was wearing a heavy winter coat so he was not injured as severely as he could have been had he been wearing just his uniform.

The two officers say they were just doing their job and acting in self defense, but now the dog's owners say they're not only concerned about their pet, but also their son, who is the murder suspect wanted by police. Idris and Felecia Kemp worry what will happen when police do find their son.

"You know this could happen to my son. I just want him to turn himself in. I just want him to be safe," said dog owner Idris Kemp.

The Kemps say that they know their son is wanted by the cops, but that they are good people. They argued that the officers never gave the family a chance to control their pit bull. They claimed that if officers caught their son, he would be treated the same way the pit bull was treated.

The Kemp family told 7NEWS that police have come to their home for the past two mornings searching for their 20-year-old son, who is wanted in connection with a murder in Aurora.

He was not at the home Thursday morning and is still wanted by police.

Officers found another female pit bull in the home, who just had a litter. There were also seven to eight kids inside the home as well.

Copyright 2005 by TheDenverChannel.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Email This Story Print This Story

Local And Regional Headlines
Dead Child Found In Northwest Denver
Pit Bull Shot After Biting Officer

twodogsandacat
February 24th, 2005, 05:28 PM
I find that extremely odd as pit bulls have been banned for many years in Denver and a recent court decision at the state level reaffirmed that.

So is it breed misidentification or was it that a criminal is willing to break the law and own a pit proving once again that it's not the dog that it's the owner?

heidiho
February 24th, 2005, 06:27 PM
Who knows anymore..............

twodogsandacat
February 24th, 2005, 06:30 PM
Actually I was driving in the car when I realized it said Denver. It's been a long day - Boulder has the Pit ban not Denver. Still I am no longer quick to accept the identification of pit bulls by police officers due to numerous mistakes that are never corrrected.

Once again Boulder has the ban not Denver so this story may be accurate.