Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

harness vs. leash...which one should i use?

lucyvanpelt
February 23rd, 2005, 08:19 PM
we've been using a leash on our little guy, duffy, but he's a puppy so he's stubborn and sometimes won't budge or he tries to run or pull. we're worried the collar/leash might be too tough on his little neck and throat. a family friend claims her dog has permanent damage to his larnyx because she used a collar/leash. i've been contemplating a no-pull brand of harness, which won't be as tough on him as the collar but i've heard that irritate underneath their front legs.

what are your opinions for a small breed puppy? collar or harness?

thanks!

raingirl
February 23rd, 2005, 08:24 PM
Both.

We have both for Odin. THey suggested both as a harness is good for control, and general walking, but a colar for training.

I love walking odin with the harness.

Don't get a "gentle leader" as I heard that they do nothing to control a dog when walking. Just a regular harness is fine.

heck....I have one, medium size, than Odin grew out of...but I think your dog is small right?

lucyvanpelt
February 23rd, 2005, 08:36 PM
thanks raingirl. duff is about 10 pounds and probably won't get over 18. i've seen the pics of your adorable guy and he seems quite a bit bigger. but thanks, you're such a sweetie.

wilstef
February 27th, 2005, 07:06 AM
i would strongly suggest using a harness - my wheaten, murphy, at age 10, had to undergo a serious operation at the animal hospital in guelph because of disc damage caused by years of pressure on his neck from wearing a collar, and he barely survived - was in i.c.u. for a week. and to be frank, it was a huge expense... not that i begrudge it, but...! the orthopedic vet basically said, 'i don't ever want to see a collar on this dog again'. i'm happy to say murphy is still with me at age 13, but i have a collar on him strictly for his tags; when i walk him and my other dog, holly, they are controlled with a harness only. murphy also has laryngial paralysis - which may well have been caused by the pressure from his collar over the years.