Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

toys?

xDiMSuMx
February 23rd, 2005, 04:04 PM
i just got a 1.5 yr old female bichon/cocker spaniel
she doesn't play with any toys!
i have a rope , a tennis ball, a small stuffed animal, and a bone for her but she just doesn't touch them

is there something wrong with her?

Jackie467
February 23rd, 2005, 04:12 PM
If this is new behavior which means she used to play with them but now does not you should probably take her to the vet because it could mean she's sick. But if you just adopted her and she got an all clear from your vet then she may just not like toys. my grandmothers dog didn't play with any toys ever the most she would do is chew on a nylabone occasionally, but she was a service dog so it could have had something to do with her training. I'd say if she was just rescued and has been to the vet then she porbably just isn't real playful, but if she has not been to the vet you should take her in soon because this could be a syptom of some kind of sickness.

Carina
February 23rd, 2005, 04:16 PM
Do you know her history?
Some dogs never learned to play properly when they were a puppy....she may need you to teach her. And some dogs just aren't that interested in playing.
Now of course she likely won't play with them all on her lonesome...are you encouraging her by throwing, playing tug, dragging things along the ground for her to chase?
Do you take her for walks every day?

xDiMSuMx
February 23rd, 2005, 08:47 PM
i just bought her from someone 3 days ago
i've been taking her for walks a lot
i try to get her to play with the toys but she'll just look at it and then ignore the toy
the old owner didn't have time to take care of her so he sold her to me
so i'm guessing he didn't play with her much

Carina
February 24th, 2005, 05:00 AM
Oh gosh, three days isn't a lot of time.
It sounds like she's just not used to playing....and perhaps she needs to get used to you and her new home before she relaxes enough to get playful.

I had a dog...a large mutt - for 12 1/2 years, I found her as a stray when she was about two years old. Phoebe never really played. She loved hiking and running with my bicycle, loved walks and rides in the car. But the only thing she ever did with toys was gather them all onto her bed and guard them from my other dogs.

It's good that she gets plenty of walks, it's so important for dogs to get out and sniff and be in the fresh air (us too!) Do you have a photo of her? Sounds like a real cute mix.

Trinitie
February 24th, 2005, 08:42 AM
You're expecting too much from a dog tossed from it's home into a new situation. She's nervous and still adjusting. Not to mention, you say that the old owner had no time for her, which most likely means that she never learned how to play. It'll take time and, above all else, patience - lots of patience. Don't rush her, don't ever yell at her, don't ever hit her and she'll learn that you're not such a bad person.

Dog walkers can be hired, so taking her for lots of walks will create a small bond, but not the same as playing with her and cuddling her. Make your time with her quality time, not quantity time.

I hope this helps.

xDiMSuMx
February 24th, 2005, 06:56 PM
Oh gosh, three days isn't a lot of time.
It sounds like she's just not used to playing....and perhaps she needs to get used to you and her new home before she relaxes enough to get playful.

I had a dog...a large mutt - for 12 1/2 years, I found her as a stray when she was about two years old. Phoebe never really played. She loved hiking and running with my bicycle, loved walks and rides in the car. But the only thing she ever did with toys was gather them all onto her bed and guard them from my other dogs.

It's good that she gets plenty of walks, it's so important for dogs to get out and sniff and be in the fresh air (us too!) Do you have a photo of her? Sounds like a real cute mix.

Here's 2 pics

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v713/xDiMSuMx/22-02-05_0652.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v713/xDiMSuMx/22-02-05_0651.jpg

You're expecting too much from a dog tossed from it's home into a new situation. She's nervous and still adjusting. Not to mention, you say that the old owner had no time for her, which most likely means that she never learned how to play. It'll take time and, above all else, patience - lots of patience. Don't rush her, don't ever yell at her, don't ever hit her and she'll learn that you're not such a bad person.

Dog walkers can be hired, so taking her for lots of walks will create a small bond, but not the same as playing with her and cuddling her. Make your time with her quality time, not quantity time.

I hope this helps.

Yea i've been spending all my free time these past few days playing with her and walking her

i guess we'll see what happens after a week or two

Lizzie
February 24th, 2005, 07:07 PM
Awe what a cutie! Just give her some TLC and she'll come around. She's probably grieving inside for her old home--whether it was a good one or not. Dogs love unconditionally, so she is likely sad and nervous right now....I sure would be if I was her.

A gentle and soft voice, cuddles and love, yummy food and lots of attention will help her settle in to your new home :)