Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

potty training help!

xDiMSuMx
February 23rd, 2005, 05:01 PM
Hi everyone, i just got a bichon/cocker spaniel
she is 1.5 years old right now and i've had her for 2 days
i was told by the old owner that she is trained to go outside but i want to paper train her and have her to inside the house on newspaper

i bought a puppy training spray from petland and sprayed it on a pile of newspapers last night
this morning i went into the room i left her in and i found two little puddles on the ground beside the pile of newspapers

if she's already trained, shouldn't she have waited until i let her out this morning?
the pile of newspaper is beside her crate. should it be somewhere else in another room?

also, yesterday i took her out in the morning and she went outside
after coming back into the house for about half an hour, she peed on the carpet

what do i do???

maddoxies
February 23rd, 2005, 05:08 PM
Clean the spot on the carpet with water and vinegar, or the scent will attract her back she will go there again.

Move the papers further from her bed.

Next time she has an accident, soak up some of the pee with a papertowel and put the papertowel under one layer of the newspaper. This will help attract her to the correct spot. Also if you can catch her in time, place her on the papers to finish off.

I use puppy pee pads for my mini-doxie the scent is already imbeded in them and the plastic backing makes clean up easier.

Jackie467
February 23rd, 2005, 05:16 PM
i agree with goldengirl. i would just like to add being that she is new to your house she is probably nervous which is normal and may have a few accidents even if she is housetrained. Just give her time and as she gets more comfertable with her new home and learns the rules she will get better about housetraining.

Lucky Rescue
February 23rd, 2005, 07:40 PM
Okay I'm confused.
she is trained to go outside but i want to paper train her and have her to inside the house on newspaper

You are saying you WANT an adult dog pooping and peeing in the house or not?

Could you please clarify?

xDiMSuMx
February 23rd, 2005, 09:55 PM
Okay I'm confused.

You are saying you WANT an adult dog pooping and peeing in the house or not?

Could you please clarify?

yea i was told that she's trained to go outside
but instead, i want her to go in the house when she does her thing
i'd rather just clean up the newspaper after she goes instead of having to let her outside so many times a day and having to clean off her dirty paws
plus i'm worried that she might not be able to hold it during the day until i get home and i don't want her peeing/pooping on the carpet
this way she can go when she needs to without holding it

maddoxies
February 23rd, 2005, 10:42 PM
I do a combo thing for my mini doxie. Predominately, he and my golden go outside for their business, but I have a puppy pad down for the little guy, incase he can't hold it all day. Bad weather does not last all year. I find it easy enough to wipe 8 paws or to use doggie boots.

It could be come a challenge in the future, if the dog will only go indoors. What if you travel or visit anyone ??? Just my two cents

Lucky Rescue
February 23rd, 2005, 11:41 PM
An adult dog shouldn't have to go out so many times every day, and even if you do train her to go in the house, she still needs to go for walks and get exercise and mental stimulation every day...dirty paws are just part of having a dog. A walk in the morning and at night should be enough.

I don't know if you've ever had a dog pooping in the house, but the smell is going to be horrible and this is not a tiny toy breed! :eek: Plus, trying to teach a housetrained dog to now go in the house won't be easy and will confuse the dog greatly.

How many hours a day are you gone?

Writing4Fun
February 24th, 2005, 10:17 AM
I agree with what's been said so far. This is not a good idea. :(

First of all, it'll confuse the dog. Poor thing's been told for the last year and a half that she's to go outside, and that going inside is BAD. And now you're going to tell her to be bad?? Besides, dogs don't like "going" in their dens, and your house is going to become her den. She won't like doing this one bit! You say you don't want to have to clean muddy paws. I'm presuming you've never cleaned up a dog mess inside the house before, because if you did, I'm sure you'd much prefer the muddy paws! :p

Second of all, it's not sanitary :yuck: :sick: . Would you want your child pooping in the middle of the living room floor because you don't want to have to clean the toilet? :confused:

And last (but certainly not least!), what happens when you go visiting? :eek: I can guarantee you and your dog would not be welcome guests after the first visit. :sad:

Daizy
February 24th, 2005, 10:25 AM
On a positive note in support of paper training - aside from the fact that you are confusing the poor thing after all it's past traingin - my dog is paper trained and has her little spot. Yet when we go for walks she happily will do her business outside too. When we go visiting I take paper or a puppy pad.

Trinitie
February 24th, 2005, 11:13 AM
I can't think of a reason anyone would want a full grown dog pooping/peeing in the house. I'd rather spend 2 minutes cleaning paws of a little dirt, than trying to disinfect an entire house because of the bugs and creepy crawlies that go with poop/pee that may go un-noticed.

She's peeing after you bring her in the house because she's confused and scared. You've had her for a very short time and you're trying to undo her training. You don't know what kind of training the previous owner did, so you don't know if she was trained in a humane way or not. If she was "scared" into going outside, trying to get her to break her training will only make her extremely nervous about going poop/pee in general. I don't envy her at this moment.

If you don't want the things associated with owning a dog (taking them outside, wiping feet, occasionally wiping bums, noses, etc.) then maybe you jumped in before you were ready. I'm not upset or anything, but I'd like to make a suggestion: seriously think of what you expect of this dog and what she can give you.

Trinitie
February 24th, 2005, 11:15 AM
On a positive note in support of paper training - aside from the fact that you are confusing the poor thing after all it's past traingin - my dog is paper trained and has her little spot. Yet when we go for walks she happily will do her business outside too. When we go visiting I take paper or a puppy pad.

You pup was trained to go on paper from the first time you got her, right? The OP is trying to undo training already established. I agree, if the dog was already paper trained, then that's wonderful. It can come in very handy.

Daizy
February 24th, 2005, 11:45 AM
Yes, you are correct, she is a toy and was trained from the beginning. I do agree it is very hard to retrain a dog another way especially as you said when one doesn't know how nicely or otherwise it was trained. I guess lots of TLC and making it feel safe & secure is needed, which of course one should be doing anyhow.

Lucky Rescue
February 24th, 2005, 11:49 AM
If you don't want the things associated with owning a dog (taking them outside, wiping feet, occasionally wiping bums, noses, etc.) then maybe you jumped in before you were ready. I'm not upset or anything, but I'd like to make a suggestion: seriously think of what you expect of this dog and what she can give you.
:thumbs up

heidiho
February 24th, 2005, 12:17 PM
Soooo u dont want to walk your dog????????/You would rather him be trained to go inside>????????????????WOW

mafiaprincess
February 24th, 2005, 04:18 PM
Well, I have a cocker spaniel thats 6 months old that I taught to use a litterbox. We live on the 6th floor of an apartment though, so it wasn't exactly what I wanted.

I wouldn't want to untrain a dog to make it go inside.. You might have the same months and months of accidents while your dog tries to get it right as a new puppy does. If you don't want to wipe dirty paws, how are you going to feel about pee puddles in the carpet?

If you are dead set on retraining, Scrap the newspapers, when they get wet they are really hard to clean up. Either buy a doggie litterbox from somewhere like petsmart, or go to walmart and get an under the bed rubbermaid container. Have it be big enough to fit 2 puppy pads side by side. Without having a box, and having something not chi sized, the mess may still be on the floor because they circle an awful lot. When you notice your dog has pooped, get a kleenex or toilet paper and flush it. Generally we go through 2 puppy pads a day. Which is about 4 pee puddles in the box.
Also, they tend to be very clean, if your dog thinks the box is dirty it will probably go beside it rather than get in it.

Sorry to make this a novel, but lastly, since someone mentioned smell.. Make sure you are feeding at least midrange dog food. If it's poorer quality, or one of the more popular brands that don't have the best ingredients it will reak... Better food = firmer less smelly poop that is far more tolerable to deal with.

GsdDiamond
February 24th, 2005, 04:25 PM
I don't get it. Then again...I want my dog to go outside. She waits by the back door to get her feet wiped when she comes in. It's not hard, and only takes a minute.
If you lived in an apartment, I could understand, but you don't....so you just can't be bothered to let her out? Whatever.

heidiho
February 24th, 2005, 04:56 PM
I really dont get it either apt or not,why have a dog if u really dont want to walk it???/Help me understand that

mafiaprincess
February 24th, 2005, 04:59 PM
I think that was directed at the OP.. but if it wasn't, I walk my dog a few hours a day, or go out and play ball in a fenced in park, and we do obedience training everyday, and I'm looking into agility and flyball in the future.

I personally got stuck with a litterbox cause it's hard to correct a 3 month old puppy when outside is really far away... I move back home from school in 2 months, I'll be reteaching how to go outside when I get there.

Trinitie
February 24th, 2005, 05:03 PM
You live in an apartment, so I'd venture a guess that it was indeed directed at the OP. :D

heidiho
February 24th, 2005, 06:30 PM
Whoever xdmxmxm whatever that name is,that is who it was directed at.......

xDiMSuMx
February 24th, 2005, 08:07 PM
Heidiho i didn't mean i don't want to take her for walks
i've been taking her 4 times a day actually
i was thinking i can cut it down to 2 a day
it's just that i don't want to see a puddle on the floor when i get home
i'm not trying to stop her from peeing outside, it's just in case i'm out later than usual and she can't hold it in until i get home

and the people that are saying it's unsanitary..
cats do it in the litterbox so why can't my dog do the same?
it's not like i want her to pee/poop just anywhere!
even a salesperson at Petland showed me this litter stuff for dogs
just like cat litter but bigger

xDiMSuMx
February 24th, 2005, 08:11 PM
I do a combo thing for my mini doxie. Predominately, he and my golden go outside for their business, but I have a puppy pad down for the little guy, incase he can't hold it all day. Bad weather does not last all year. I find it easy enough to wipe 8 paws or to use doggie boots.

It could be come a challenge in the future, if the dog will only go indoors. What if you travel or visit anyone ??? Just my two cents

This is exactly what i want to do!
this way if i was to take her travelling, she could do her thing outside too

mafiaprincess
February 24th, 2005, 09:17 PM
The purina puppy litter isn't ideal. You waste a ton of it trying to get it out of the box because a far amount of it gets soiled. Your dog also may not want to walk on it because its not like stable ground.

Your best bet is a litter box and puppy pads.

Lucky Rescue
February 24th, 2005, 09:36 PM
i'm not trying to stop her from peeing outside, it's just in case i'm out later than usual and she can't hold it in until i get home

But see, dogs don't see things the way we do. If you teach this dog that it's okay to eliminate in the house, then to her it's ALWAYS okay. Dogs don't think "I'll just use these papers for an emergency". She will do it all the time.

cats do it in the litterbox so why can't my dog do the same?

How much does your dog weigh? More than a cat? I would not have a dog eliminating in the house if it weighed more than 10 lbs. Also, dogs don't dig a hole to "go" in and then cover it, the way cats do.

xDiMSuMx
February 24th, 2005, 10:06 PM
The purina puppy litter isn't ideal. You waste a ton of it trying to get it out of the box because a far amount of it gets soiled. Your dog also may not want to walk on it because its not like stable ground.

Your best bet is a litter box and puppy pads.

yea u have a point about the puppy litter being wasted
it would cost a lot after a while

guess i'll just have to hope she doesn't pee on the carpet before i get home

Trinitie
February 25th, 2005, 10:36 AM
She's peeing inside right now because she's scared and confused. As she gets used to you, and knows you're not going to mistreat her, she'll learn to hold it. You just have to make sure you're not any longer than you have to be. She'll have accidents because she's not sure what you want her to do. If you don't want to come home to a puddle on the carpet, then confine her to a room without carpet. Since she's so small, the kitchen would be an ideal room. She's not tall enough to get up on the counter, so no worries.

Don't put her in the bathroom, it's too small a room, and could make her even more nervous. Those little breeds are nervous enough, and very sensitive (emotionally). A gentle, loving hand is what they need.

From the way you worded your posts, it appeared like you wanted to not be bothered bringing her outside at all, that's why the questions about retraining her. Not to mention, if she's used to taking walks with you 4 or more times per day, why stop? It's a healthy thing to do, both for you and your new companion.