Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Reputable Parrot-sitting in Toronto??

Loraxp
February 23rd, 2005, 12:27 PM
Hi,

My husband and will be leaving town for 3 days in March, and 3 weeks in Aug. We need to locate a person/facility that offers proper parrot sitting services. I can not just bring him to a place where they will let him sit in his cage screaming to get out. I need him to be kept on his routine (somewhat), as I do not want him to become a monster :evil: or start plucking during our absence :eek: .

Please tell me of where you bring your babies for minding while out of town I would truly appreciate your assistance.

Thank you for your time,

Andrea (and Queequeg the Quaker :king: )

Trinitie
February 23rd, 2005, 12:45 PM
Have you thought about asking a friend to go stay at your house? My boss has an African Grey, two Quakers and 2 Budgies (along with 2 dogs, a cat, a whack of fish, the wildlife outside that they feed - deer, bunnies, turtles in summer, etc). When they go away, for a couple of weeks at a time, they ask someone to stay at their house. There's always someone willing to do it.

That way, you can provide the food, the birds are more used to their surrounding, and the people also feel like they're on a mini-holiday. Not to mention, your home has that "lived in" appearance that's very important while you're away! :D

Loraxp
February 23rd, 2005, 01:00 PM
That would be IDEAL! Thing is that we're new in town and really don't know anyone.

Thanks for your suggestion though!

Loraxp
February 24th, 2005, 05:41 PM
Bump!
PLEASE give me a name or 2 of parrot-sitters in the GTA! (good or bad)
Thank you for your help!

Loraxp
March 6th, 2005, 04:07 PM
Still in need refrences... PLEASE HELP!

raingirl
March 6th, 2005, 07:54 PM
I think we need more info as to where you are located, how far you are willing to travel, etc.

I would offer to do it for free...but don't know much about parrots. I had a budgie once though!

Have you tried the Ontario Parrot Owners Association for a referral?

http://www.parrotsontario.com/

Loraxp
March 6th, 2005, 10:59 PM
Thank you for your suggestion - I am investigating the Ont. Parrot Owners Ass. as I type this.

Thank you for your VERY generous offer :D ! My Quaker can be a temperamental little booger from time to time... hence the species nick-name "little green dragons"! If he smells the least bit of fear he totally takes advantage of the situation... and guests end up running the other way. He is a talker, and when the mood strikes him he can be a bit of a screamer. I know that this description does not flatter him, but I am being brutally honest... but don't get me wrong, we love him VERY much :love:

Details on my location are basically 2 hrs. NW of Timmins ON (aka. the middle of nowhere). We will be driving down to Toronto to stay with family, and then venturing to Niagara. Basically we hit quite an area of province through our travels (approx. 1000 km), and are open to venture a bit off of our path to ensure that Queequeg is well cared for.

Again thank you for your very generous offer!

Andrea