Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Spay Questions

SarahLynn123
February 23rd, 2005, 11:04 AM
Belle will be 7 years old this year and is not yet spayed (Ive had her for 3 months) Im a little concerned. Is it safe to spay at this age and are there higher risks involved? She has been gaining weight regularly but last month at the vet, she is still slightly underweight. Should I wait until shes a bit heavier? Im a worry wart, I dont want anything bad to happen.
Thanks

twinmommy
February 23rd, 2005, 11:18 AM
I believe that it'd still be the best thing for her, as the cancers that you would want to avoid by spaying you pet, are usually later on in life, ask the vet about it. 8 is not too old for surgery, IMO, but I'm not a doctor.

p.s. Is Belle a cat/dog?

BMDLuver
February 23rd, 2005, 11:53 AM
Normally the vet will recommend a series of bloodwork to make sure that all is functioning well and that she will be fine under anesthetic. With these results, they will have a better idea of how to proceed and if a lighter dose of anesthetic should be used.

SarahLynn123
February 23rd, 2005, 11:57 AM
So I shouldn't start worrying so soon. Im sure I will have tons more questions when the date is arriving.
Thanks

Lucky Rescue
February 23rd, 2005, 12:17 PM
IF the blood tests, and pre-op exam show her to be healthy, I would definitely get her spayed. A little underweight is better in this case than overweight.

At her age, the risk of getting life-threatening pyometra is great. This requires an emergency spay on a dog who is already sick.

sammiec
February 23rd, 2005, 01:45 PM
Sarah, I remember that you've posted about bringing Belle to the off leash park. IMHO I would be avoiding this with an intact female. Not only is this a very big reason for fights occuring in the park - male dogs wanting to compete for the female- but she could become pregnant should an intact male come into the park.

With Belle being an older dog I would talk to the vet about the procedure and get some advice on what you should do, blood work, etc. We don't really know the history of the dog and what health complications she might have if any... But by the sounds of some of your posts, she does tend to require some attention.

I hope everything works out for you guys! :)

SarahLynn123
February 23rd, 2005, 01:57 PM
Sarah, I remember that you've posted about bringing Belle to the off leash park. IMHO I would be avoiding this with an intact female. Not only is this a very big reason for fights occuring in the park - male dogs wanting to compete for the female- but she could become pregnant should an intact male come into the park.

With Belle being an older dog I would talk to the vet about the procedure and get some advice on what you should do, blood work, etc. We don't really know the history of the dog and what health complications she might have if any... But by the sounds of some of your posts, she does tend to require some attention.

I hope everything works out for you guys! :)

We dont know the history of her either, which worries me a bit. All I know is she was tied in a back yard day and night, and honestly I wouldnt be surprised if she never seen a vet (before I got her). The family was surprised when I told them that was the first place we were going.

I was under the impression that It was OK to go to the parks as long as she's not in heat.

Carina
February 23rd, 2005, 02:47 PM
Is she HW neg?
I do know that people who show dogs often spay the females once their show careers are over, so I am assuming that it's quite safe.
There isn't a problem with male dogs unless she's in heat. FWIW, sometimes vaginal infections in female dogs can get males pretty worked up, it confuses their little smell centers or something!

raingirl
February 23rd, 2005, 08:32 PM
I don't know where you live, but in Brampton you aren't allowed to enter an off leash park unless your dog is fixed (there are no unfized dogs allowed).