Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Need help with walking on leash

doug112
February 22nd, 2005, 06:00 PM
It kinda hard to walk with simba and his big cone, but he keeps trying to lunge away from me, i have a training collar on but he still lunges toward the road and trying to go to the hospital? Is that normal? He seems to think that doug is still there :sad: . Is there anyway to correct him when he lunges, giving a quick snap of the leash doesnt work. Or giving him a firm command. And he needs to walk, i cant keep him in the backyard

lezzpezz
February 22nd, 2005, 06:24 PM
Hi there. Have you heard of the "Gentle Leader" or "Halti" products? They fit over the snout of the dog and clip together around the neck behind the ears snuggly. Good fit is important! You attach the leash to a ring that hangs below the chin.
I use these on my 3 large dogs and can walk all 3 simultaneously quite nicely. These 2 devices work like a horses bridle, without the bit. Very safe and effective tools and the dogs take to them fairly quickly. I just put one on a neighbours' husky and within 30 seconds, she was walking just fine with very little fuss. The concept is wherever you lead, the dog must follow. It virtually eliminates pulling and misbehaving. These cost about $20- $25 Canadian, depending on size of dog. I cannot say enough about these products, as they have made walking my dogs a great activity that we all enjoy instead of a battle of strengths and misery! :rolleyes:

ScottGoodburn
February 22nd, 2005, 06:54 PM
I recommend a Halti, forsure, worked for my dog!

Lucky Rescue
February 22nd, 2005, 08:52 PM
He doesn't need to have the big cone on when you walk him, or any time that you are there are watch him.

When you say "training collar" do you mean choke chain? For the most part, these don't work and really do end up just choking the dog.

No device is going to work on it's own, and training is needed in conjuction with whatever you do use.

Dukieboy
February 23rd, 2005, 10:14 AM
I cannot say enough about the Gentle Leader. It is a training tool and I do use it in conjunction with a regular harness. It will help you teach the dog what heel means and when heeling is required, generally on city streets. Clip the lead to a regular collar or harness when the dog is allowed to sniff about and relax. Introduce the Gentle Leader slowly at first in the house. Put it on and treat. Take it off. Later or next day same thing, for about a week. Don't leave it on long enough for him to want to try to take it off. After about a week in the house, take him out with both collar and leader on. The trick is to keep the dog at your side so if he stops, stop with him you don't want to get into a situation where he is pulling back because this will alarm him. If he stops step back and give his bum a push or turn around and walk the other way.
This worked for me, hope it works for you.

tenderfoot
February 23rd, 2005, 10:30 AM
[QUOTE=No device is going to work on it's own, and training is needed in conjunction with whatever you do use.[/QUOTE]
We believe that gimmicks don't teach. Working on your communication and leadership is what makes the difference in the long run.
Despite the advent of clickers, treat training and halters - dogs are still re-homed and euthanized at an alarming rate. Because these gimmicks usually act as Band-Aids to the problem and don't truly address the problem. What if you didn't have your halter collar or pocket of treats? Would you still have control of your dog?
Get into a really good training program and work on your relationship with your dog - that will have him listening to your words and respecting your wishes, naturally.

Dukieboy
February 23rd, 2005, 10:44 AM
[QUOTE=tenderfootWe believe that gimmicks don't teach. Working on your communication and leadership is what makes the difference in the long run.
Despite the advent of clickers, treat training and halters [/QUOTE]

I do not believe that the Gentle Leader is any kind of gimmick. It allows the handler to control a dog and maintain attention long enough to communicate (teach) over time. It is a very effective training tool. I don't think it should be classed with clicker and treats.
If you enrol in a group obedience class you don't want to spend the whole class trying to control your dog. The Leader will allow you and your dog to concentrate on what is to be learned. Finally, "what happens if you don't have your treats or halter? Thats kind of like asking what happens if you don't have your leash? There are at least 60 pitbulls housed at the Humane where I live and to expect that these dogs are going to be adopted and trained without anything but a collar and a leash is unrealistic. These dogs are very strong and they love to pull. If a gentle leader will assist in training, so be it. IMHO

mastifflover
February 23rd, 2005, 12:54 PM
I agree with Tenderfoot on this training is what works. I would suggest using a harness on him this does not apply pressure to his throat but distributes it across the chest it will help a bit with control but it will not damage his trachea this happens with choke chain and also regular collars. You are doing a good thing and it will require work but in the long run it will all be worth it

doug112
February 23rd, 2005, 01:05 PM
Thanks for you replys i use a prong collar, i dont believe in chokers, they arent safe. I am training him to try and walk by me, does anyone know of any trainers around the burlington area. And i will try the products you have said

tenderfoot
February 23rd, 2005, 02:10 PM
Hi Dukie - I understand that halters can be an aid in getting the job done, but too many people rely on them and never teach. I have had personal conversations with the man who invented the original proto-type and even he agrees.
We have trained thousands of dogs at this point and never needed one. I would not hesitate to tell someone who is used to using one to continue if it works - but many of our clients (even with pits) come to us because it doesn't really deal with the fundamental problem of the dog not listening to his human leader.
Our goal is to be off leash ASAP - that's why the human/dog bond is so important. If I have a strong connection with my dog then clear communication gets the job done.
We start teaching in a quiet environment in order to ensure success at each level. Beginner group classes can be rather like taking your child to the circus to teach him to read - you aren't going to make much progress - hence the need for halters, clickers & treats. So we start inside and get success there and then quickly move outside and then to distance and distractions. Each level has it's own challenges and because we do it sequentially then the dog & handler are ready for the next set of challenges.
We start our horses at liberty aswell - establish the relationship and they will follow you anywhere. Halters do not teach horses and don't think they control them either - that little piece of strapping isn't going to stop a horse that doesn't want to stop.

raingirl
February 23rd, 2005, 09:40 PM
I am going to "Scholars in Collars" in Burlington. They were highly recommended. The owner, who does most of the classes, trains the dogs for "super dogs" (the show that travels and comes to the CNE), and she trains dogs for all kinds of movies. I have been to two classes so far, and it's great. www.scholarsincollars.com