Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Is a Beagle the right breed for me?

beeboo
February 22nd, 2005, 03:30 PM
I currently live in a spacious apartment, with a large landscaped yard outside and also one block from a park, it is more like suburbia rather than an urban setting. I am wondering if a Beagle is the right breed for me, I hear horror stories from people all of the time about barking and baying and howling and such. I just love beagles and I am hoping that if I get a puppy, it could be trained not to behave that way while home alone. It is my intention to have it crated during the day while I am at work (8 hrs maximum). Does anyone have any input on this? Should I get a Beagle? If not, does anyone have any suggestions as to a breed that might be more suitable? I am really not into little terriers, poodles, pekinese, most small dogs I do not really care...

Princesss04
February 22nd, 2005, 03:37 PM
I know that people say beagles do not make good apartment dogs. They do LOVE to talk. The bad part about a puppy and being gone all day is who is going to let it out? A little puppy can not hold it 8 hours. What do you think about a older dog (maybe a year or older)? :D

mastifflover
February 22nd, 2005, 03:41 PM
Hounds are hounds and scent hounds are noisy buggers I had a Bloodhound very sweet boy but boy could he bay for no reason. But there were 2 other hounds where I lived and one was a very quiet one and the other would sing along with Jake very irritating and I lived with him thank godness my neighbours were cool about it. have you considered adopting an older dog becuase keep in mind that a puppy will not be able to be left for 8 hours at a time where if you get a rescue you will be able to speak with the fosters and find out about leaving the dog alone and lots of other behaviour habits. Plus rescues are already s/n house trained most crate trained and a lot are fully trained in obedience. Puppies are a lot of work and time make sure you consider this in your decision to get a dog/puppy. Keep us posted and welcome to the board if you have any questions post em and we will try and help out

Lucky Rescue
February 22nd, 2005, 03:52 PM
You can't leave a puppy in a crate 8 hours a day, no matter what the breed. A puppy will be forced to poop and pee in the crate, which will cause serious problems.

Beagles are baying scent hounds. This is what they were bred to do and usually will bark a great deal, and are not generally considered to be good apartment dogs, especially if they are left alone all day.

If you really want a beagle, I suggest you get an adult who is already known to be quieter and who is used to being alone.

IF breed is not an issue, I suggest you look through www.petfinder.org and find an adult dog who is suitable for your circumstances and who is trustworthy being left loose in the apt all day.

CyberKitten
February 22nd, 2005, 04:59 PM
Beagles are high energy curious dogs (I used to have one) and they are NOT made for apartments!! Mine would howl only now and then - and it was always sooo funny - but it does not sound as tho your lifestyle would be great for a beagle. When mine was little - and just getting adjusted to being alone - my neighbours told me they heard him when I left him alone the first time. I cannot imagine that in an apartment!!

They are wonderful dogs but they require much attention. And yes, they are nosy, nosy, nosy! lol

Carina
February 22nd, 2005, 05:10 PM
What everyone else said about Beagles!
They are lovable and adorable, but they can sure be challenging dogs to own.

As well as considering specific breeds, don't overlook mix breed dogs! There are thousands of wonderful mixes. Have you owned a puppy before? Are you sure you are aware of the time, frustration, patience and work it takes to raise one especially if you are gone during the day?
Puppies are adorable and all, but they're only cute little puppies for the first 8-12 weeks you have them. Then they grow up and you have the adult dog for 12-18 years...
Check out petfinder....you can research breeds, look at all sorts of dogs right in your area waiting for adoption and yes there's usually puppies to be found too. :)
http://www.petfinder.org/search.html

happycats
February 22nd, 2005, 05:32 PM
Don't know if anyone else mentioned this but, RUN, they love to run, once they get loose, they run, and don't come back until thier good and ready!!

When I was a child, our neighbors had one named Bucky, he barked all night long. He got loose about once a week (was also a great escape artist) :evil: The neighbor would offer a quarter, to the the first kid to find Bucky and bring him home!! Sometimes he would be found miles away from home!

kimbilly
February 23rd, 2005, 11:48 AM
I have a 5 month old Beagle, we got him at 8 weeks and always corrected indoor barking.

When we are out walking he is VERY talkative, but when at home he is really good. Our neighbours say that he is really quiet during the day and they have only heard him bark when there was reason (construction workers next door).

This is our first beagle and to be honest I wouldn't swap him for the world.

chewch
March 5th, 2005, 10:26 PM
It's my first time posting on this forum, so here goes. We lost our dog of 14 years, a year and a half ago. We have since moved into an apartment and we are looking at a smaller breed of dog. I am home all day and must admit when reading kimbilly's post about her/his Beagle, my heart melted. We aren't necessarily dead set on a pup, as we would look at a year old or a tad more as well.
Due to my disability, my being able to walk a dog too far, is letís say limited. Any advice will be appreciated from us both. Cheers!

Prin
March 6th, 2005, 04:22 AM
Beagles are hunting dogs. They need to run and run and run and there are VERY few people that take the time to fulfill this breed's needs. Working at the vet I saw so many with bloody feet from scraping the bars of their crates all day. Size of dog doesn't mean anything. If you want an easy small dog get a shi-tzu or a bichon. There are hundreds of them abandoned every day. Would you get a german pointer? Or a Blue Tick? No? Then why would you get any other hunting dog?

Jack Russells too-- so many people think "what a cute small dog" and then they abandon it because it has too much energy. They are one of the most abandoned dogs these days.

happycats
March 6th, 2005, 12:02 PM
What about a Keeshond.
It's about the same size as a beagle, but does not require near the amount of excercise. And don't let all that hair fool you, they really don't shed, but blow their coat twice a year.
The one I Know, is not a barker, never chewed anything as a pup but her own toys, and she is very smart, and was easy to train!
I believe they would make a good apartment dog, and can be left alone 8 hours a day while you work!

wjranch
March 7th, 2005, 09:06 AM
I was thinking along the same lines as the poster above! LOL
What about a spitz breed? American eskimo's are nice dogs and come in 3 sizes!! Keeshounds also are nice, Norwegian Elkhounds make nice pets as well... these last 2 breeds might be more difficult to find though, and the American Eskimo's might be more readily availabe.... just check petfinder.org and you'll see there is a rescue in southern Ontario that usually has a couple available at any given time.
Good Luck with your pup search!

luvmybeagles
March 10th, 2005, 12:03 PM
I just don't see a beagle making a good apartment dog unless they have an extremely devoted owner. If you're willing to put several hours a day into playing with the dog, walking him, playing fetch in the house, etc. then maybe it would work.

Every beagle I've ever had has howled it's head off when I left to go somewhere. Fortunately I live in the country with no near neighbors, so the noise really isn't a problem. Also they bark at everything. And beagles don't just bark, they ba-roo! If they hear a strange noise, or even think they hear a strange noise they bark. (Mine can't distinguish TV sounds from real sounds, so if someone screams or honks a horn on TV, they're barking!) If they smell something they find interesting they bark.

Also as previously mentioned, beagles are not reliable off a leash 9 times out of 10. I have successfully trained my dogs to stay in the yard, (note my "yard" is about 4 acres of cut grass), but that literally takes years to do. For the first year or two, I don't let them out of my sight if off their leash, and there's still the potential that they might bolt and run. I wouldn't be willing to take that chance if I didn't live where I do. If you're anywhere that there is traffic that could easily turn into a BAD situation.

Even if you have a fenced yard as one poster mentioned, that's no guarantee the dog will still be in the yard when you go looking for it. All of my beagles have been diggers. Digging holes is FUN! (Especially if you dig it right at the base of the front porch steps where your owner is SURE to see it and make a big fuss over your accomplishment. ;) ) So digging under a fence would really be no big challenge for a beagle, especially if there was something on the other side of that fence they really wanted. (A rabbit, another dog, a cat, etc.)

Beagles are great dogs, but they are high energy dogs that love to play, CHEW, bark and howl. I'm not sure apartment life is ideal for them.

Mindy_bebb
March 15th, 2005, 01:05 AM
I have a beautiful beagle at home... but, I would say that the beagle is not the right dog for you. For us, barking or howling isn't a problem, she only howls occasionally when she hears something strange. But for her first few years (probably about 4) we had real problems with her. She dug up the yard, chewed holes in fences, constantly escaped (she always came back though). She needs a ton of exercise which is to be expected.

A beagle is not the sort of dog that will happily be crated, especially for 8 hours a day. They also need a lot of company and many breeders suggest that you should have 2 dogs if you are at work most of the day. They are lovely dogs but they need a large yard to run in all day...

Maybe you should consider a smaller breed.

SnowDancer
March 16th, 2005, 05:18 PM
Personally, while I love hounds, I do not think a Beagle would be the ideal dog for an apartment. Exceptions are out there of course - perhaps a dog of 5 years or so. We did have a Beagle who died at age 20 in 1986. Then we had my darling mini Dachshunds until April of 2004 - right size for apartment, but "big" in personality with a real bark. Not a lot of exercise required, but disc considerations resulting in serious surgeries. A poster above has suggested an American Eskimo. Well, that is what we have now - a 19 lb. mini standard. He is a real sweetheart, but a serious handful - we were totally unprepared for the physical hijinks this dog would put us through. If you do consider an Eskimo, please speak with your vet first to get his/her opinions on the Spitz breed. They can be aggressive as can many breeds, but the trait is there. Fortunately mine is a sweet one.