Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Not eating breakfast during the week.

kimbilly
February 22nd, 2005, 11:17 AM
I have a problem with Bentley not eating his breakfast during the week; he is just not interested in it at all. It is not that he doesn’t like the food, because on weekends he has no problem eating it at all. It is almost as if it is too early for him to eat. He also has no problem with the food at night.

I just get worried because there are some mornings that he will get sick because he has an empty tummy. The first few times I got really worried and took him to the vet, but she said that it is common with some dogs to get sick because of the acid in the tummy and there being no food. When Bentley was very little (2 – 3 months) we had to feed him a bit before bed as he could not make it through the night with out getting sick. He is fine now other than the odd morning.

So I guess my question is should I worry and if so how do I get him to start eating his breakfast?

Some brief additional info, he is on dry food twice a day. He does receive a Kong when we leave for work (so gets some stuff in his tummy).

Any suggestions?

BMDLuver
February 22nd, 2005, 11:21 AM
Our old dog, Selena, would not eat her breakfast during the week either. She knew that we were going off to work. She wouldn't even eat a biscuit, would just drop it on the floor and look at us like, sorry, nope, no can do, you're leaving. She lived to be 14 this way, so I wouldn't think it's a huge concern.. Maybe others will have suggestions as to how to encourage breakfast eating.

honeybee4
February 22nd, 2005, 11:25 AM
Harley, is 2 1/2, when I feed him in the morning or anytime just before he knows that I will be leaving he will not eat. His food stays there all day until I get home. He will then greet me at the door and then go to his food and eat it. So basically he will not eat unless someone is there. He is fine and has not had any medical problems thus far.

r0amy0
February 22nd, 2005, 11:37 AM
How about scheduling his 1st feeding after his morning walk?
Then he can learn to look forward to going out, and then look forward to eating?

kimbilly
February 22nd, 2005, 01:36 PM
How about scheduling his 1st feeding after his morning walk?
Then he can learn to look forward to going out, and then look forward to eating?

He just drinks some water and gives us the sob look.

He likes to have somone around when he eats too, if we leave the room he will follow (in hope of something exciting i am sure). We do spend some mornings hand feeding him him a few bits, but this is not something we want to encourage. I am pretty sure it is not causing any harm, it is also good to know that there are others out there with the same situation.

Thanks for the replys.

theplainsjane
February 22nd, 2005, 02:28 PM
Maybe if you put Bentley's food out as soon as you get up, he will eat it before you leave? Just an idea. Heh, I have labs and have never had trouble getting them to eat, so it's only a thought.

-Brenda