Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Any advice on social skills?

gjohnson
February 22nd, 2005, 09:47 AM
My 7 year old Shih Tzu likes to say "Hi" to all the dogs in the neighbourhood when were on our walks but as soon as she's in a house where there are our family members dogs, she acts afraid and snips and wants nothing to do with them. Any advice on how to get her to be social with our family members dogs?

maddoxies
February 22nd, 2005, 11:49 AM
I am not sure who is visiting who here, but then I am having a "blonde" day today.

In general, have them meet outside the house, on "neutral" territory and when they seem comfortable, have them enter the house together.

Make sure that you are not giving any subconscious signals either. Since she has a pattern of behaving this way, you might unconsciously "anticipate" this behaviour, while trying the new "meet and greet" method.

gjohnson
February 22nd, 2005, 02:44 PM
Thanks for your advice. It usually happens when were out visiting, so she snips at the dogs in their own house. The dogs are mainly her size so I don't worry so much but my sister's dog is big and we don't see them that much and one time they had a little spat where the big dog took a little hold of Precious because she was near her food, and then growled at her another time when she tried to come in the house. So ever since then I'm afraid to let Precious down and I'm sure both dogs sense this which makes matters worse. Normally, the big dog is very friendly. But I'm still scared that she will get hurt. Were going to visit next weekend I'm wondering if there's hope they can become friends or is it better to leave her with a sitter?