Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

pet insurance

raingirl
February 21st, 2005, 06:02 PM
Anyone know if a suspected emergency is covered?

What if you suspect something and it turns out to be nothing, would it still be covered, or is it only if it actually is something?

(Like, what if your dog was acting "not quite right" and a vet visit revealed nothing, would it be covered?)

Just curious. Odin wasn't excited at all when Archie came home and is rather depressed tonight, but I think it's just because he had me all day to keep him occupied, and he's just tired. But we're keeping an eye on him just in case (you never know right?). He did get into a bag of garbage yesterday that had some bones in it, and we weren't able to tell if he ate any (although we were pretty sure he didn't as we just caught him as he knocked it over).

Sheriffmom
February 21st, 2005, 06:08 PM
Raingirl..... LOL don't know about the insurance stuff!! But you sound exactly like Erik and I when we first got Sheriff!! LOL Every time Sheriff did something new, acted a little different etc... it was off to the vet for him!! Our Vet loved us. Paranoid first time parents I think he joked once (he is an awsome vet!!), I think he also mentioned something about putting his kid through college!!LOL
Hopefully it's nothing..... but you are right to be extra observant, Bullies can get VERY sick quickly (it takes them a long time to show symptoms, but when they do, it is usually Vet time!!).
Sheriff gets "moody" sometimes if he feels one or the other of us hasn't paid him the attention he deserves..... he ignors that person, moves away from them and generally acts "depressed" and "deprived" LOL It's his way of punishing whoever didn't give him the attention he feels is his birthright!! LOL
Hope all is well

raingirl
February 21st, 2005, 06:44 PM
Well, when archie got home, he said he thought he was acting weird, very non-active. I took a look at him and thought that maybe his tummy was a little distended...but barely noticable. At first I was thinking, what if this is bloat. I quickly came online, looked at the signs, and he doesn't have any of the symptoms. He can poop fine (pooped twice in 10 minutes during our walk), burps, farts, roles on his side/tummy, no pain when I touch him. We are eating dinner now and watching him still, but might go to the vet tonight just in case. Wouldn't want something to happen while we are sleeping!!

I'm just worried that maybe he ate something he shouldn't have. Maybe he ate some of the pork rinds that were in the garbage...don't know if that will hurt him much if they weren't seasoned, just fried. Right now I'm on the fence...vet or no vet...hmmm. The 24 hour emerg. vet is only 5 minutes away at least...

Lizzie
February 21st, 2005, 07:07 PM
heheh--Eating dinner AND online here trying to ensure the best for your furbaby!! You are just like a new mommy--it's cute how doggies do that isn't it? Before you know it they've lured you in and turned you into a worried mommy :)

raingirl
February 21st, 2005, 07:15 PM
I know....don't you love it?? I guess it's ok to be worried, but at the same time...I wish I could just relax sometimes!!!

Lizzie
February 21st, 2005, 08:04 PM
Ah well---being worried only shows you care and love the little guy. The worry-wort syndrome will pass once you are more used to him and having a dog for the first time :D

raingirl
February 21st, 2005, 08:24 PM
Well, he is a super fart machine today, also burping, drinking water, and pooping still, so I don't think it is bloat. Plus, his tummy is looking fine now. Will still keep an eye on him.

Still, does anyone know how it works with insurance if you go and there's nothing wrong?

Sneaky2006
February 21st, 2005, 08:26 PM
Still, does anyone know how it works with insurance if you go and there's nothing wrong? You'd think if this was the case, it would turn into a regular check up, which are not covered (right? I don't have pet insurance)

theplainsjane
February 21st, 2005, 09:08 PM
Raingirl,
I called my vet at least once a week until Ellie was six months old, I think. I was constantly certain that I'd done something that was going to kill, or at least main her. She's turned out very nicely and quite healthy. You're doing great. Odin is lucky he waited for you.

Oh, and I don't know anything about pet insurance in Canada--but for here, I think it's often wiser to just set up a savings account and add to it once a month to save up for a rainy day in re: pets. Pet insurance makes me nervous.
-Brenda

meowzart
February 21st, 2005, 10:04 PM
I had pet insurance for my last dog - waste of money.
Read the fine print. Nothing 'ordinary' is covered (unless you spend many many bucks), there is a deductible, and most things are covered once ie one visit.

They are good for something like your dog eating your underwear and needing surgery, running into traffic and breaking a leg, and feline urologic syndrome.(well for cats obviously)

But we'd have been farther ahead putting $15 a month into a savings account!

Sheriffmom
February 21st, 2005, 10:33 PM
Thats what we do.... We call it our Sheriff account. After reading all the fine print, and multiplying it out..... especialy since our breed (Bulldog) is considered a "premium" it didn't seem to make sense. The premium breeds are only covered until I think age 6, and many of the ailments are only covered once (as you said), and there were a few other rules (especially in the premium breed) that made me raise my eyebrows!! LOL
Anyway, with the deductible, and the amt they covered in case of serious injury, or disease after 6yrs of putting the same (if not more... when we have it :) ) amount into an account... we'll be way ahead. (unless he gets ALL the ailments, injuries, surguries etc.....within 6yrs....God forbid!! :sick: )

glasslass
February 22nd, 2005, 01:21 AM
We started buying US Savings Bonds for our dog years ago, one each month. He's got a nice stack of them now. Course they're in our names, but they're earmarked for him.

Daisy's Owner
February 22nd, 2005, 05:36 AM
I also looked into pet insurance and decided it wasn't right for us either. It would have cost us $30 per month but we still would have to pay for the visit cost, which for our vet is $48 walking in the door.

chico2
February 22nd, 2005, 07:54 AM
I looked in to it too,but at $30/per cat per month $90/month for 3 cats,it's just not worth it,I would still have to pay for regular shots,Advantage etc...
We'll take our chances,if the cats need surgery,we are prepared to pay whatever it costs.