Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog playing/fighting

raingirl
February 21st, 2005, 03:54 PM
Is it normal to have aggressive play between dogs?

What I mean (and mastiff can attest to this) is that Odin still has some puppy in him, and also needs a little more socialization, but he likes to play ruff. Thank goodness Mastiff's buddy was so good natured.

I really want to take Odin to the dog park, but I've been aprehensious because I don't want anyone to think he is a bad dog. He doesn't want short bouts of play, he could do it for an hour, which could piss off some dogs and owners I think.

mastifflover
February 21st, 2005, 04:18 PM
Odin is typically a bulldog he plays hard. Buddy and George were the same Buddy would send him flying and George would come running back for more. I actually was amazed at how well they fit together since there is such a huge size difference. Plus you should warn owners that he is a very vocal dog and is not growling he is just talking. I find this is really common among some breeds when Bud plays with other Mastiffs they sound like they are killing each other. Well the length of time is up to you, if you say lets go he will have to learn to listen if he does not come when you call him just go put his leash on and then leave he will get it soon enough. Also as he matures he will chill out a little more. Odin is great and Bud had a good time and it is not like Odin was going to hurt him, it is sort of like running into a brick wall that slobbers all over you.

Schwinn
February 21st, 2005, 04:19 PM
Daisy has been in a couple of "dust-ups" because she likes to play rough. She's just playing, but what happens is she annoys the other dog to the point of the other dog turning on her. We've let her play with other high-energy dogs, and what usually happened was they'd take turns dominating each other, and pooping each other out. I think you just need to keep an eye on them and make sure they know the limit. Daisy is VERY rough with me sometimes, and she knows when I say "Chill!" that it's time to calm down. Usually it appears to be an over-flow of adrenaline, just like a little kid getting carried away. You have to know how to get them to calm down, and when it is time to do it. But as for it being an aggressive tendancy, I don't know enough to say in your case, but watching Daisy interact, I don't think it is, I think it's just a case of a lot of energy. Also, she tends to have a high drive, and doesn't seem to get hurt as easy as other dogs, (I once clomped her in the mouth with the shovel while doing the driveway, and she didn't notice. She kept running after the snow, leaving blood spots when she would pick it up), so I think there is the issue of, "Now not everyone likes to play as rough as you". As she's gotten older, she seems to understand better that some dogs are more "playful" than others.

theplainsjane
February 21st, 2005, 04:31 PM
You really meet all kinds at the dog park. It makes me nuts when I go and someone keeps telling their dog to quit barking and who wants them to be "settled down" at the park. I want Ellie to listen to me and follow instructions when given, but I look at park time as *her* time to play. If we're there alone or with dogs that she doesn't play with much, we'll throw a ball or work on a few commands, but if she really hits it off with someone--I let her go for it. That said, Ellie loves to play but she isn't aggressive at all.

My advice is to take Odin on the leash and let him sniff butts and get to know a few other dogs. And for you to talk to a few other owners and sort of get a feel for their personalities. If he seems to get along fairly well with the others, let him off leash a bit. If he gets too rough, put him back on. A fellow at our park has an AmStaff and she's a bit of a bully. For example, she's aggressive toward Ellie. When he sees us coming, he leashes her until they get distracted by other friends, but always keeping a close eye on her.

I was really amazed to read about "snob park" on here. I thought that all dog people were cool like us, but I guess not! There are three dog parks in Charlottesville and the one we go to generally is fabulous! The same fifteen or twenty dogs there on one day or another--and they pretty much get along, people and dogs! Even when we've gone to the other parks, we've meet great people. Hopefully your experience will be a good one! But I'm sure that you will find someone who matches Odin's strength and stamina when it comes to "playing rough." I know you haven't had him very long--you'll get to really know what his limits are and just keep an eye on him. You want to get him out of a sticky situation before it gets out of hand, if at all possible of course. Let us hear how he does!

-Brenda

Jackie467
February 21st, 2005, 04:33 PM
Candi is like that she WILL NOT let the dog she is playing with alone. And you'd be surprised for such a little dog she has a lot of power. She plays with my moms dog BJ all the time, won't let the poor dog rest. Lucky for her BJ is very tolerant. problem is she is domanint over him (imagine a 12lb dog bossing a 45lb dog around :rolleyes: ) and if he trys to tell her to stop she gets raving mad and makes these high pitched noises and forces him onto his back (he is a big suck) (just so everyone knows we do then force Candi to calm down we know when BJ has had enough). he was in the house first but quickly subbmitted to her (when we brought her home we thought it would be the other way around and tried to promote BJ as boss but it just didn't work). on the other hand when you play with BJ he literaly sounds like he's trying to kill you, he often scares people because he growls very loud but as soon as you say that's enough he quits. they both get quite rough when playing with my stepdad, have even broken his skin (this is his fault for not giving the stop command) but they only do it with him, i'v tryed to get them that excited but they simply won't play rough with me or anyone else, only stepdad.

Sheriffmom
February 21st, 2005, 05:52 PM
Sheriff plays rough too... although he really gets trounced sometimes.
Raingirl just be careful at a dogpark with an English Bulldog.... a lot of dogs don't like them!! We kept wondering why dogs who we have known for a long time, and have never been agressive, would growl and get there hackles up when Sheriff was around..... We talked to numerous ppl (including Bull rescuers, Vets, other owners, and 2 trainers) and they all told us the same thing..... Bulldogs by their physical apperence put other dogs off. They have a wide, chest out stance naturally, however, that sometimes comes across as an "agressive" stance, and other dogs get their backs up right away. The other thing, is the teeth showing.... again a natural, totally innocent thing on the Bulldog's behalf, but other dogs, soemtimes interpret it to be a bareing of teeth, and again get their hackles up. So just be extra cautious when your Bullie meets new dogs.
Sheriff is a such a playful little guy, with absolutly no agression in his body.... loves other dogs, loves to play, loves being around other dogs..... but he is a little slow to relize that other dogs are not necessarily as fond of him, as he is of them :p , and we've had to be extra careful of that.

Lucky Rescue
February 21st, 2005, 06:18 PM
Odin is typically a bulldog he plays hard.

Right. All the bull breeds are very rough and play can escalate to something else. It's good to socialize, but IMO a dog park is not the place for any bull breeds, after young puppyhood.

sammiec
February 22nd, 2005, 11:11 AM
If you're going to take Odin to the dog park please be careful. There is alot of good advice within this thread. Dogs are difficult to read sometimes. I think that you guys should work on strengthening your relationship a little more, so you're better able to understand his reactions and what they could mean - just be able to read your dog - as much as possible.

One thing I would avoid is keeping your dog on a lead in the off leash area. If there was another dog that didn't like Odin and tried to start something, a lead can be dangerous. You are able to pull him away, but that doesn't do any good when the other dog is free. A leash in this case could cause an aggression to being teathered if he is attacked in an unfamiliar setting. Not that you tie him out, but teathering includes wearing a leash and collar.

Should he get spooked and scared, unable to move, run or defend himself on the leash he can become aggressive while tied due to fear of being attacked.

It's the best to let them go, let them sniff butts and if a dominant dog forces him to submit, just leave it alone, that's the works of a the dog world. But it's very difficult to tell if a fight is going to arise out of dominant behaviour, and if you're unfamiliar with your dogs actions it can be much more difficult.

I hope this helps out a little. I am not trying to critize you in any way... just wanna make sure that you're all safe!! :D