Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Thoughts on Flyball.

Jackie467
February 21st, 2005, 02:52 PM
Hi I wanted to see what everyone thinks of flyball. I have some extra time and was thinking that it would be well spent on an activity with Candi. I was thinking of flyball or agility. I think i'm leaning towards flyball, i'm quite shy and have stage fright and i know that the handler is a big part of agility. Plus flyball looks like a lot of fun for the dogs, Candi's fav. things are running, jumping and playing fetch, perfect combo for flyball right. She is a year old and please don't judge but has not gone to obediance classes, though she does know all her comands. I have never gone to an obediance class and always trained my dogs myself with the help of my stepdad who trained his show dogs (so he had some clue what he was doing though he doesn't show any longer). But the first step would be signing her up for obediance classes which is no prob for me. I wanted to know if anyone on the board does flyball? What kind of costs does this entail, I mean I can afford classes and such but being a student nothing thats going to run into the thousands immedately, would have to be spread out over time. If anyone has any ideas on wheather this is a good activity let me know.
Just FYI Candi is one of the fastest dogs I have ever seen, she easily out runs our other dog and the neabiors dogs, not to mention is like the energizer bunny and just keeps going and going and going... She is definatly a high energy dog. :D

GsdDiamond
February 21st, 2005, 04:12 PM
If you think flyball is something she'd be good at...why not? Go for it!

Why would we think any less of you for training your dog yourself? Don't be silly! A well mannered dog, no matter if it was trained professionally or not, is the end result we all want!!! Wanna come and teach my dog???? :D

Jackie467
February 21st, 2005, 04:17 PM
Thanks, I just know how everyone here is big on obediance training. I think the training will be good anyway, she is a little shy around people so it will help with socializing. But she is doing much better now she will let people pet her without kneeling down which is a big step for her (still a little leary around kids though, but we're working on it). the weird thing is she will take to a person immedatly (even kids) if my moms dog BJ is there but if he isn't there it takes her a little while.

Grissom's Mom
February 21st, 2005, 05:18 PM
A woman I know has a flyball group in Belleville, ON. The dogs LOVE it. She is a great teacher and in only a few weeks the dogs look like pros. Their group is about fun though so all the dogs get a chance to compete at competitions. Others may be more competative so have a look around your area and see what is available. It's really a great activity for dogs.