Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

How can you tell if a dog is pregnant?

alleysrats
February 21st, 2005, 01:15 PM
This is a puppy mill rescued dog she is one of five that I pulled. When she was picked up she was very thin and her hip bones were sticking out. With nutrition and care she has picked up the most weight. They all had roundworms and hooks and were dewormed on Saturday. She is the only one that has a slight tummy swelling of her lower abdomen. She is also the only one to continue to pick up weight. I tried listening for heartsounds and can only hear a faint heartbeat under the last rib pair. Due to her imaciated condition could this be the echo of her heartbeat or could she indeed be pregnant? She doesn't want her belly messed with too much and sleeps alot more than the others. She's slightly over a year old. Thanks in advance for all the info.

GsdDiamond
February 21st, 2005, 01:30 PM
A vet visit will tell you if she's pregnant or not. If not, then it could be that she's not cured of her worms and requires another vet visit anyways.

Schwinn
February 21st, 2005, 02:14 PM
Does she seem to crave pickles with her kibble?

(sorry)

GsdDiamond
February 21st, 2005, 02:25 PM
Does she seem to crave pickles with her kibble?

(sorry)

GROAN! And to think I told my wife how funny you are. How wrong I was!

glasslass
February 21st, 2005, 04:22 PM
You have to give Schwinn some slack. I'm sure he's had more than his fill of pregnant jokes. Course, he is the one that :yuck: :yuck: my leg!

Back to the thread, I agree this little lady needs to see the vet whether she's prego or not.

maddoxies
February 21st, 2005, 04:53 PM
Preggers or not, it sounds like this little girl needs to see a vet.

And Schwinn, would you mind picking up some Cookie Dough ice cream to go along with kibble and pickels. ;)

alleysrats
February 22nd, 2005, 08:14 AM
Vet was inconclusive. He said either she is pregnant or experiencing a false pregnancy. The rescue group has decided to spay her asap so she won't have to produce any more pups. :love:

BMDLuver
February 22nd, 2005, 08:25 AM
Appreciate the update. Thanks for taking good care of her. I'm sure she's been through enough. :thumbs up

Trinitie
February 22nd, 2005, 10:43 AM
Glad to hear things are working out! Thanks for the update!!