Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog drooling w/ new puppy

annell06
February 21st, 2005, 11:00 AM
I have had my dog for about ten years and she has never had a major drooling problem. A couple of days ago my roommate and I got a new puppy and now my older dog is drooling a lot, especially when around the new puppy. She also tends to growl at the puppy, but we assumed that was a fairly normal reaction to having a new dog around. Does anyone know if the drooling is a big problem and if it should start to go away as the dogs get used to each other? Thanks.

Carina
February 21st, 2005, 11:17 AM
Drooling is a sign of stress, usually.
It's normal for her to growl & even discipline the new puppy. But supervise them together, and make sure your older dog has a place to go to get away from the pup so she gets some peace and quiet. Puppies can really irritate some dogs, so give your resident dog plenty of affection and space.

GsdDiamond
February 21st, 2005, 11:22 AM
Like Carina said....watch the two of them together to make sure there's no aggression problems.

Don't forget to mind the pecking order. Oldest dog in the house gets top rank....new pup remains lower member. Of course, all people in the house hold top ranks.... but make sure the old dog has the place above puppy. Many people tend to forget this because puppies are so darned cute!

annell06
February 21st, 2005, 01:10 PM
thanks! she is definitely showing the puppy who's boss! :)