Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Police man bit by Pit bull

honeybee4
February 21st, 2005, 10:15 AM
This was on CBC:

http://nb.cbc.ca/regional/servlet/View?filename=nb-dogbite20050218

(Hopefully the link works, this is my first time posting a link.)

I believe the only reason they even mentioned this dog bite was because it was a pit bull. The actually drug bust didn't even get a head line. If it was another type of dog it wouldn't even have been mentioned.

twinmommy
February 21st, 2005, 10:24 AM
Has someone checked if the COP had all his shots???
http://www.discodelic.netfirms.com/happy-smirk.gif

....sorry to inflict my bizarre humor on you all this a.m., just fed up of these poor pitties always getting bad press.

CyberKitten
February 21st, 2005, 10:33 AM
According to that article, the dog was being used by drug dealers (poor guy!) And God only knows what the police officer did to him - remember the dog in Halifax who was shot to death by a police officer because he was afraid of it!

sammiec
February 21st, 2005, 10:51 AM
Hmmm.... yet once again an irresponsible owner... AND MB's bill 132 wouldn't have prevented this since the officers where inside the house.... I wonder who will jump on the "ban" wagon next!?!?! This just makes me sick. :yuck:

honeybee4
February 21st, 2005, 11:07 AM
Last summer they try to bring the Dangerous Dog act in New Brunswick, but it ended up not going through, thank god. It would have been on a couple different breeds, namely rotties and pit bulls. Just before they had a meeting about it though a german shepard attack a young boy who wondered into a back yard where the dog was tied. They had two meetings were people could go and express their opinions about the whole thing. They had more people turn out to oppose the act than people who were for it.

twinmommy
February 21st, 2005, 11:17 AM
Sad.. we don't ban races of people because some are more dangerous than others...that's just insane....it's also racism, but sad that people don't see it as racism when it pertains to dogs. :confused:

bluntman
February 21st, 2005, 11:18 AM
Last summer they try to bring the Dangerous Dog act in New Brunswick, but it ended up not going through, thank god. It would have been on a couple different breeds, namely rotties and pit bulls. Just before they had a meeting about it though a german shepard attack a young boy who wondered into a back yard where the dog was tied. They had two meetings were people could go and express their opinions about the whole thing. They had more people turn out to oppose the act than people who were for it.
Thats what happend here in Ontario, more people against the ban, than for it.
The difference is N.B ajenda was public safety, and they realized bans are not the way to go. The Ontario's Liberal ajenda is not public safety, It's ban pit bulls.
People who use dogs as weapons should be charged with the offence, and banned from owning a dog, for ten years.

mastifflover
February 21st, 2005, 11:48 AM
And does Michael Bryant think these criminals really care about his BSL they will just get bigger and more aggressive dogs but this bill has never been about public safety. It is about a little man who is scared of dogs and loves to be in the media spotlight.

CyberKitten
February 21st, 2005, 11:51 AM
I am on a short break and wanted to add that in NB also, the political situation is different. The MLA who proposed the ban legislation is a member of the Official Opposition Liberal Party - private members' bill though the government did hold hearings and many many people either were asked by the govt to come to the hearings or communicatred directly with the committee and/or their MLA's. In the end, even though I think the MLA in question was being opportunistic, he did agree with the briefs presented by the various groups (SPCA, vets, dog advocates - I am not fond of the term "owners" <g>). Thus, his legislation essentially died on the order paper. The Tories have a minority government so it is tough to say whether they would have actually passed the bill - I suspect not but in the end, it was actually a good discussion on the heal of several cases - one especially where a small toddler died after being mauled to death by unsupervised dogs. And also, in the final analysis, rational thought rather than an emotional opportunistic reaction to a sad and tragic accident won the day.

honeybee4
February 21st, 2005, 12:07 PM
Has the bill gone through in Ontario yet? or when will you guys know for sure? I am totally against a ban of any breed.

mastifflover
February 21st, 2005, 12:46 PM
It has not passed yet and hopefully it never will. If it does pass the only saving grace is that I can't wait to see the fiberal gov't. explain to all the citizens of Ontario why they are spending millions of dollars in court fighting owners and their tickets all the while real criminals will be walking the street. The only possiblility of it not going through will be if the Lt. Governor does not pass it. Hopefully he was so inidated with emails against it that maybe he is scratching his head saying why am I passing a bill that some many are against. I know that it would be asking a lot to have someone in government with a functioning brain but we can hope this guy may have one.

honeybee4
February 21st, 2005, 12:57 PM
I really hope it does not go through for you guys. It would really suck. I read through the bill on the ontario website. It is really confusing to read.