Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cod-Liver oil???

chico2
February 21st, 2005, 10:00 AM
A somewhat dumb question,but hubbie takes one capsule of codliver-oil a day,bought from the health-food store.
Would it be ok,to sprinkle a little on the cat-food???They seem to love it and Rocky has a really dry coat in the winter,I know fishoil is supposed to be good and cod is fish,so what do you think??

BMDLuver
February 21st, 2005, 10:41 AM
I buy caplets from the vets office, called Omega3 and they are fish oil based. It gives the dogs a wonderful shiny coat and no more dry skin from the winter heating. I would think it was fine to give the cat a few drops on it's food.

Carina
February 21st, 2005, 10:57 AM
Fish oil would be better than CDL.
CDL is real high in vits A & D and animals are more liable to find it toxic than people would.

chico2
February 21st, 2005, 10:58 AM
Thank's maybe I should get some...I was just trying a cheaper way,since one capsule seems to be just enough.
The other two cats have nice shiny coats,but Rockys is denser and shorter and right now it has no shine to it and feels dry.

chico2
February 21st, 2005, 11:06 AM
Thank's again,I'll scrap that idea and get the real oil from the vet.

mastifflover
February 21st, 2005, 11:10 AM
OI buy fish oil caps at Costco for half what the vet charges. I buy all Buddys supplements for what I was paying for just Glucosamine at the vets.

twinmommy
February 21st, 2005, 11:13 AM
Chico2--you can get Omega 3-6-9 in any pharmacy, or health food store...just break a capsule into their food...I find it easier and more hygenic(sp?) than a bottle. Fish oils, with some plain yogurt (1-2 tsps /day)....well, you can play with the quantities of yogurt if they like eating it, they ususally do :p ...and you'll see how beautiful their coats become!!! :thumbs up

Let us know!!

chico2
February 21st, 2005, 11:31 AM
Mastifflover,we get everything else from Costo,calcium pills,vitamin D etc...sooo much cheaper.
I myself took some sort of oil,forget the name,was supposed to be good for achy bones,but it tasted sooo awful,I had to throw it out.
Twinmom,I'll look for it and thank's to all of you,you've b :thumbs up een very helpful,as usualhttp://pages.prodigy.net/bestsmileys1/emoticons1/1_gif01.gif

Heinz57
February 21st, 2005, 12:06 PM
Want a cheap excellent source of calcium? Here's what I use. After you use an egg, rinse the shell and sit aside to dry. Then bake at 350 for about 10 minutes, this gets rid of the coating sometimes used to stop eggs from drying out and makes them super easy to grind. My cheap blender grinds them to a fine powder. Each large egg shell makes about 1 tsp of powder equal to appx 1800 milligrams of calcium. Store in refrigerator. :thumbs up

meowzart
February 21st, 2005, 12:52 PM
As far as omega oils go be sure to use fish oils for cats as they don't apparently process the grain based oils well like dogs do.