Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Molly's Training Progress

Katherine1
February 21st, 2005, 07:41 AM
We have had Molly 6 and a half weeks now. She has been pretty good most of the time.
We started whistle training her. She does well on the lead and when she is in the house but still has not mastered this off leash at all yet. She does so well on lead but when you take her off the leash she turns into different dog like she has had no training at all. :( Saturday I was putting something out the back door and she snuck out and before I could get her she rounded the side of the house out of my site. ( Needless to say mum paniced) I got the whistle and blew it but did not see or hear her, so hubby took the whistle out front. I waited about 10 minutes and then went looking for both of them. Hubby said he found her sitting by the van door. LOL think she wanted to go for a ride. He was playing fetch with him by the side of the garage. We both played with her for another 10 minutes and then I blew the whistle and we started for the door - woohoo and she followed us in. Sunday we went to a friends pond that has lots of acerage around it so I thought it would be a good place to further training (it took me about a half hour to get the courage to let her of the lead ) there was just my hubby , me and two of our kids with us. The kids were skating on the pond and after I let Molly off her lead she romped around and came to me 80 percent of the time. There was not a lot of distraction but enough with the kids that helped to see how she would do. I also made sure that I had treats for her when she was exceptionally good. This morning I let her out ( not by herself - I was standing out there with her ) off lead. She did her business and then rounded the side of the house again. I blew the whistle twice and thought she wasn't going to come went back inside and before I could shut the door :D Molly was coming in too - I think we are making progress. Any different ideas or comments you think that I could use would be appreciated.

Lucky Rescue
February 21st, 2005, 09:32 AM
If you let her off leash before she has a rock solid recall, you are teaching her she doesn't have to come when you call and that it's more fun to run around than to come.

Get a very long line - either a 30 or 50 foot training lead or even a light nylon clothes line. Let her run around and then call her. Give her 3 seconds to come, then reel her in. Praise her for coming, then immediately throw her a ball or let her run again. Many off leash dogs won't come, because they learn that usually means the end of the fun, so show her that coming not only gets her a treat, toy/praise, but also that she can go right back to having fun.

Do not let her loose until she is coming every single time you call. As for the whistle, unless you are sure you'll always have it with you, I would teach her to come to a verbal command as well.

Molly is a cutie!:)

Carina
February 21st, 2005, 10:13 AM
What LR said. :)
It sounds like she is doing really, really well!

Does she like treats, or have a special toy? What I do when out, is call the dogs, give them love/treat/quick play with toy and then said "OK GO!" which means they can then rush off again. So they don't always associate "come" with "end of running and games."