Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Are Grapes Poisonous to Pets??

Copper'sMom
February 20th, 2005, 06:13 PM
I thought I heard from someone that grapes are poisonous to dogs. Does anyone know if this is true??

BigDogLover
February 20th, 2005, 06:19 PM
I don't know, but Tobias has been eating them all afternoon. Ughhh!

I just looked it up, this is what I found.

Raisins and Grapes are dangerous and very toxic to dogs and can shut down their kidney's.. some dogs seem to tolerate smaller portions but beware!



Dar

Copper'sMom
February 20th, 2005, 06:25 PM
The reason I asked this was because, when you first bring up pets.ca website, the article int he middle of the page was about rawhide bones yada yada yada. So I was reading the article and it said to offer your pet healthier treats such as vegetables, sweet red peppers and whatever else but it also said GRAPES!!!! So now I'm confused :confused: My dog loves to eat grapes.................after he's done playing with them :p .

BigDogLover
February 20th, 2005, 06:28 PM
Me too! Hates grapefruit though. Carrots are great treats, Tobe loves carrots and lettuce, he also loves celery(de-stringed). Apparently though, grapes are bad.

Here's the site :

http://www.thearray.com/kirbyskorner/medical/poison.htm

Dar.

Lucky Rescue
February 20th, 2005, 06:42 PM
Eeek! Copper's mom the article you mention also says this:

If you want to "Treat" your dog give him/her non-toxic chew toys such as twist cotton ropes

I know people whose dogs have need surgery to remove the rope strands that were twisted in the intestines. These rope toys should NOT be given as chew toys. :eek:

Very dangerous advice.

Copper'sMom
February 20th, 2005, 06:54 PM
Copper loves his rope toys! He ONLY gets them under constant supervision as with all of his toys otherwise he'll eat them! I've had to stick my hand down his throat to grap string out of there!!! When he has something in his mouth, I tell him to "spit it out" and he does but sometimes he tries but the toy goes further back in his mouth and that's when Mom jumps into pull it out! Once in a while he gets string stuck in his front teeth :p and he can't get it out. Drives him crazy poor bugger!

Believe me, I'm well aware of the dangers of rope toys!

mona_b
February 20th, 2005, 08:06 PM
Copper'sMom,my previous GSD was getting grapes as treats for years.He was with us for 13 years.No health issues from them.BUT,it was the seedles ones.And Tron and also Yukon were given to them as treats.But I never over did it with the grapes. :)...I had this conversation with my vet and other vets.They also agreed that the seedles one are fine.It's the seeds that are toxic.Not the grape part. :)

BMDLuver
February 20th, 2005, 08:20 PM
about that as my old dog adored them and we always gave them to her. My husband hates seeds in anything so I always buy seedless. Good to know, as the kids are forever offering them to the gang here.

BigDogLover
February 20th, 2005, 08:25 PM
Good to know, Mona. Tobe has been eating them all day. Does anyone here have a list of toxic foods, aside from the obvious, chocolate and onions?

Dar.

mona_b
February 20th, 2005, 08:34 PM
The only thing I would suggest is not to have them over indulge...Not sure if it will plug them up,or they will become poop machines..... :D

CarlaD
February 21st, 2005, 12:00 PM
I used the give the beagles grapes until I read an article about how bad they are. Now for an ultimate treat they get baby carrots!

honeybee4
February 21st, 2005, 12:12 PM
I believe I read somewhere that seedless grapes are fine for dogs. It is the seeds that are poisonous. However, I did a search on google and received the following site:

http://www.vetinfo4dogs.com/dtoxin.html#Grape%20and%20raisin%20poisonings%20in %20Dogs