Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat Scratching Furniture

fred04
February 20th, 2005, 03:42 PM
My shleter kitty has just started to scratch our furniture. We have had her for 1.5 yrs and she just recently started this. I am sure she picked up this behaviour from our male cat. He constantly does this, however, he has no claws. :rolleyes: I'm guessing he does it to mark his territory or get my attention. I didn't declaw him so no rants please.

Any suggestions on what I can do to get Pancake (female kitty) from scratching the furniture? I've thought of pinning some tinfoil to the area she has targeted.

Thanks for your help!

Jenn

happycats
February 20th, 2005, 03:48 PM
Try 2 way tape in the area you don't want her to scratch, also get a few good scratch posts If you already have scratch posts, rub cat nip all over them, fresh usually works best. the spray catnip in pet stores has absolutely no effect on my cats, so don't waste your $$, If you don't have fresh get the dry stuff.
I have also found that repel spray doesn't work either.

Hope this helps.

fred04
February 20th, 2005, 03:52 PM
I never thought about the two way tape. I will definitely try that one.

I should have mentioned that I do have a scratching post and Pancake uses it all the time. She goes mental on that thing! Just recently she switched to the furniture. And I do sprinkle cat nip on it. I also trim her nails regularly.

happycats
February 20th, 2005, 03:59 PM
2 way tape works great, just have to make sure you don't stick to it :eek:
I have also used a water gun, when they scratch furnture.
Maybe you should stop the other one from doing thisl (even though she has no claws) to set an example, It is a marking behaviour as well, so the new one is just naturally reacting to it.

fred04
February 20th, 2005, 04:05 PM
I've tried to get Guss to stop scratching or nubbing :o the furntiture. When ever I get after him he runs off in a playful mood. I know the little bugger is doing it to get my attention. He probably does it more so now with Pancake in the picture. But Guss has been doing that for his entire life and he's 7! It'll probably be a little harder to get him to quit. Maybe I'll plaster all the sides of the furniture with the tape. Hopefully that'll do the trick. And I guess it's time to get the old water bottle out.

Man, cats sure are like kids some times. But I love them to death with all their funny little behaviours! :D

Lucky Rescue
February 20th, 2005, 08:41 PM
Check the scratch post and make sure it hasn't become wobbly. Cats will not scratch anything that is not rock solid. If the post is vertical, they also like to be able to stand up full length and scratch.

There are also repellant sprays to put on furniture. It smells pleasantly of oranges, but cats hate it.

The scratch post my cats like best is a flat one wrapped in sisal and bolted to the wall. Another good option is a birch log securely fastened somewhere. I put one of those on my railings and the cats just love it.:)