Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

obedience training

momofrhonda
February 19th, 2005, 09:56 PM
Just a question about obedience classes...

I took my Golden Retriever puppy to "Puppy classes" when she was 3-4 months old. She is now 8 months old and I was wondering what people's feelings were about dog classes. Do you recommend them? Would I be better to get a good training book and work from that? Should I get some one-on-one obedience training?

I would like to get on the right track and start training her better to "stay, come, heel, etc".

I would appreciate any suggestions or personal experience stories...

Lucky Rescue
February 19th, 2005, 10:20 PM
I highly recommend obedience classes.:) Not only are they wonderful to teach you how to train, but are great for socialization of your dog and for making him a wonderful canine companion who will be welcome anywhere.

I know I and my dog enjoyed them and I felt ridiculously proud when my girl graduated with high marks!

Carina
February 20th, 2005, 06:05 AM
Oh, definitely classes! Not only are they more fun and you will both learn more, it's the only way to get your pup to learn and comply when she's around a lot of distractions. That makes a huge difference.
You can also do training stuff & fun training games on your own, you'll probably have to practice what you learn in class anyhow.
I have a ton of training books (sometimes I wonder if they're actually doing me any good hahaha) ....the "Dummies" ones are excellent. So is "Power of Positive Dog Training" by Pat Miller. Or anything by Ian Dunbar.
But definitely classes; my dogs are 4 years old and we still go to drop in classes because they are fun.
Agility is also a total blast. :thumbs up

Writing4Fun
February 20th, 2005, 07:22 AM
Classes are a total blast! I highly recommend them. I'm always so proud when Phoebe sits politely to get pats from all the screaming kids at the bus stop in the morning. Doggy games are a whole whack of fun too (Phoebe starts her agility training at the end of March - I'm so excited!!). Besides being great fun for you and your dog, it's also a good workout (physically & mentally) for your dog - and a tired dog makes for a happy owner. ;) And Lucky's right about the pride you feel with each graduation. We have a "wall of honours" for Phoebe, with her picture and all her grad certificates so far (hubby thinks I'm a little off the deep end on this one)! :D Go check out her "Grad Picture" in the pictures forum! ;) If you post your general location, I'm sure folks here would have recommendations for good schools. :thumbs up

Carina
February 20th, 2005, 07:41 AM
Writing, I just checked out Phoebe's graduation photo, very cute! I had a Phoebe once (large mutt.)
Classes are great fun. I had a trainer once tell us that ideally all training should be "structured play" and I think that is a great philosophy.
Enjoy agility! :) I've been doing indoor drop-in classes, can't wait for the outdoor ones to start. momofrhonda, if you & your pup enjoy obedience, definitely look into agility too. It's the most fun thing I do with Cooper.