Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

bad infection....im scared

Ghullums_mom
February 19th, 2005, 08:46 PM
:confused: :eek: ok, so i get up this morning and check on my kittens. one of them only has one eye open and the other is all caked over with icky stuff. so i got a clean cloth and some warm water and slowly and gently cleaned the eye, when i freed all the icky caked stuff, alot of puss and icky stuff came out, the eye is really really red and scary lookin. what should i do if anything. i know take him to the vet, but hes only a week old. is there anything i can do till its vet time. is it an upper respratory infection?

meowzart
February 19th, 2005, 08:52 PM
a week old kitten will die from infection. You need to get to a vet asap!!!

Jackie467
February 19th, 2005, 08:54 PM
It's vet time now. it could be anything but if it's uri then the other kittens will get it as well and it can easily kill young kittens if not treated right away and is very dangerous. It sounds like it may be a problem with the eye and if you don't have it treated the kitten may lose the eye or die from the infection and with how young they are that is most porbable. they should all go in asap to be checked for things like heart murmurs.

twinmommy
February 19th, 2005, 08:54 PM
Hey Ghullum's Mom!!

How's the gang? Sounds like one itty bitty has an eye infection...only a vet could say for sure...why would you be leery to go to one when they are only one week old? When you say "vet time" do you mean 5-6 weeks? I wouldn't wait until then if that little kitten needs antibiotics.

do they have names?? :)

Carina
February 19th, 2005, 08:56 PM
Hmmm, can you get to a vet tomorrow?
Keeping it uncrusted like you did is probably good....gosh I don't know what one could do with such a tiny thing. I wonder if he got scratched by one of the others?
Are their eyes open, I can't remember what age that happens now.

Karin
February 19th, 2005, 08:56 PM
:confused: :eek: ok, so i get up this morning and check on my kittens. one of them only has one eye open and the other is all caked over with icky stuff. so i got a clean cloth and some warm water and slowly and gently cleaned the eye, when i freed all the icky caked stuff, alot of puss and icky stuff came out, the eye is really really red and scary lookin. what should i do if anything. i know take him to the vet, but hes only a week old. is there anything i can do till its vet time. is it an upper respratory infection?

Hey Ghullums mom, maybe you should have an early vet visit with the entire bunch, goopy eye's can be expected sometimes...this is better checked by a vet before the littermates catch it too, if possible. Treat all icky nasties like they are infective! I was okay with your discription until you got to the part of " alot of puss came out".

This scared me,I do not want to scare you too but this kitten needs to see a vet asap!

Ghullums_mom
February 19th, 2005, 09:03 PM
well it may not have been a lot of puss, maybe a cc. maybe. but it wasnt what i was expecting to see. i thought the eye just need some love and warm water to open. how would i protect the rest? wash mommy? wash the babies? new clean towels of course. i just dont know what to do, the vets are all closed tomorrow and monday is a freakin holiday. i dont want him to get worse and die. i cant take another dead baby. :( :sad: :sad: :sad:

Lucky Rescue
February 19th, 2005, 09:03 PM
I had a litter of kittens who all got eye infections. Had to take them to the vet and get eye drops and put them in multiple times a day. Not much fun, but no help for it. Unfortunately, "love and warm water" won't cure infections.

You can take 1 week old kittens to the vet.

Carina
February 19th, 2005, 09:07 PM
If there's no ER vet (I know Astoria is pretty out in the middle of nowhere) try calling vets. Eventually you will find one with an emergency contact number recorded.
I've done this once in a pinch, and did find a vet who met me at his office in the middle of the night when I was on the road with a puppy with parvo. The dog lived. :)
I'm fairly clueless about little kitten care, hopefully someone will give you better info...

twinmommy
February 19th, 2005, 09:13 PM
Shatto Norman L DVM Astoria Animal Hospital
35109 Highway 105
Astoria, OR 97103
503-325-1581

Frontier Veterinary Hospital
4500 NE Cornell Road
Hillsboro, OR 97124
(503) 648-1643

I'm not sure if the second one is near you, but both are open Sunday.... :thumbs up

Carina
February 19th, 2005, 09:19 PM
Cool, twinmommy!
That's very progressive of Astoria to have actual vets open on Sunday. I live in a large, well populated county, and there is only one ER vet for the entire county. Millions of dogs and cats live here, and only ONE after-hours vet clinic!
OT....I had to go there once. They have a resident pitbull who is also a blood donor. She is totally the nicest, mellowest dog, and lives in the clinic.

Ghullums_mom
February 19th, 2005, 09:34 PM
this place sucks
there are some, but there too expensive for my bank account. i will call first thing in the morning, someone might be open tomorrow, and if not i will find someone on monday. its a lame holiday anyway. maybe ill get lucky

Ghullums_mom
February 19th, 2005, 09:36 PM
thank you twin mommy, the hillsboro one is two hours away, but i will check into the other. how did you find all this out?! thank you thank you thank you

twinmommy
February 19th, 2005, 09:38 PM
your welcome :thumbs up but hey, don't thank me , thank Google!! :D

let us know how your baby is!!

Ghullums_mom
February 19th, 2005, 09:43 PM
oh trust me i will. i cant lose this one. nope nope nope

twinmommy
February 19th, 2005, 10:04 PM
Bayshore Animal Hospital
325 Southeast Marlin Avenue
Warrenton, OR 97146
(503)861-1621

they're 24hrs 7 days a week. You enter your zip code,(I took a guess at yours) and they tell you where the closest 24hr vet is!! this one supposedly 5.3 miles from you...(is it?) if not..http://www.1888pets911.org/services/emergency/index.php.

CyberKitten
February 19th, 2005, 10:16 PM
Wow Twinmommy, you are becoming the Queen of Google! :) Kewl!

Get those kittens to a vet! The one could infect the other and before you know it, they will all be sick! At that age, it does not take much of an infection to lead to something more serious! Good luck!!

theplainsjane
February 19th, 2005, 10:28 PM
In the beginning, before Google, there was a darkness upon the land...

Ghullums_mom
February 19th, 2005, 10:52 PM
Bayshore Animal Hospital
325 Southeast Marlin Avenue
Warrenton, OR 97146
(503)861-1621

they're 24hrs 7 days a week. You enter your zip code,(I took a guess at yours) and they tell you where the closest 24hr vet is!! this one supposedly 5.3 miles from you...(is it?) if not..http://www.1888pets911.org/services/emergency/index.php.

that would totally kik ass, if they werent closed till the 22nd. i know thats only a few days away, but i need it tomorrow. ill try something. **** if i have to drive to portland ill get him some lovin
should i take mommy with him?

twinmommy
February 19th, 2005, 10:59 PM
I would take them all, if it turns out to be a contagious infection...you'll need to. If it's a little far they'll be able to nurse if you bring Mommy... :thumbs up

Ghullums_mom
February 20th, 2005, 12:37 AM
nothing in astoria/warrenton is more than 10 min from me. unless i have to do the speed limit. then its 13

Karin
February 20th, 2005, 05:06 AM
Just an after thought..(getting ready for work here & the coffee is kicking in..)
Every town/city has a feline rescue group..somewhere. Get to know one or all in your area. They will usually know all the vets around their stomping grounds and may have "pull" when seeing a vet when a non-client has none.
Unless a vet advertises emergency on call services, most will not see a client after hours unless they are a client of record. What about the vet you worked for? I think I remember you saying you worked for one? (correct me if I'm wrong)
Good luck....I feel as though you and mom cat & litter have been adopted by the entire board...I wish you lived in Florida!

Karin
February 20th, 2005, 05:17 AM
Just read your post in the virgin kitty thread, please tell me I read it wrong...wtf??

chico2
February 20th, 2005, 07:38 AM
Yes Karin,you peaked my curiosity..I read it too.. :sad:
Ghullums mom,I think we've been more than forthcoming and helpful to you and of course the mom cat and kittens,because all of us care..
Why the hostility in another thread?
We have accepted the fact the kittens are here and everyone has been very helpful,but an 11 yr old wanting to breed a cat for the "fun"of it,is sickening,can you not see our point,seeing the trouble you're having?
Anyway,I hope your little kitten will get the care he/she needs..

twinmommy
February 20th, 2005, 07:44 AM
in the end one would think its all about you guys....and thats how you all like it

it's kinda strange...me thinks Ghullums was a tad numb last night...but why is the thread closed?? :confused:

chico2
February 20th, 2005, 07:49 AM
Twinmom,probably because the original 11yr old "breeder"was looking for a breeding-partner for her cat..

twinmommy
February 20th, 2005, 07:55 AM
oh yeah!! (DUH!!) I was so busy hijacking it with dobermom80....LOL

There is a lot of those posts,(looking to breed lately!!)

Both ignorant and aggravating!!! :evil:

Hey Ghullum's!! Don't mean to get off topic..how's your beebie this a.m.??
(and how's your head?? LOL ;) )

Karin
February 20th, 2005, 09:13 PM
I am posting again in this thread,directed in Ghullum Mom's direction.

I am disappointed with you. I feel you have taken all here for the big ride. Maybe you are just another breeder, looking for that "cute" kitten...adding to the problem also instead of helping to solve the problem.

Feel free to flame me...I welcome it. If you do not respond, my question is answered, you are no different than all the other one time posters who come here looking for a fight.

My .02 cents

happycats
February 20th, 2005, 09:16 PM
I hope those babies are OK :sad:

CyberKitten
February 20th, 2005, 09:26 PM
Call it exhasution or post pneumonia fun but I did not the "virgin kitty" thread. I can talk at length about oncology but don't ask me to spell or type or find something, <g> (It took me a while before I found the contest <g> I was not here for most of this thread but you have really helped this family - is there another prob elsewhere? Can someone PM me if yoiu do not want to replky? (I am still experiencing difficulties repying to PM's tho -- I really think it is a router somewhere). (Cancel that - I found the thread by searching, Thx!)

I so hope those kittens are OK. Really, they should all be at a vet ASAP!

Karin
February 20th, 2005, 09:40 PM
Call it exhasution or post pneumonia fun but I did not the "virgin kitty" thread. I can talk at length about oncology but don't ask me to spell or type or find something, <g> (It took me a while before I found the contest <g> I was not here for most of this thread but you have really helped this family - is there another prob elsewhere? Can someone PM me if yoiu do not want to replky? (I am still experiencing difficulties repying to PM's tho -- I really think it is a router somewhere). (Cancel that - I found the thread by searching, Thx!)

I so hope those kittens are OK. Really, they should all be at a vet ASAP!

Please do not fret ..I have tried to follow from the beginning, and I am left dizzy. (easy to do for me too.)

You will catch up, I promise.

I really want this thread locked but I want to give Ghullums Mom a chance to respond.
I trust in the moderator's to know when the time is right.

twinmommy
February 21st, 2005, 08:17 AM
well I hope Ghullum's is not responding because she spent all day yesterday trying to find a vet and get care for that kitty!!!

...but I have been known to recieve awards for my naievety(sp?) :confused:

chico2
February 21st, 2005, 08:19 AM
Me too,I hope the baby is ok... :sad:

Princesss04
February 21st, 2005, 08:38 AM
I sure hope these babies are okay but I have a bad feeling about this thread. (just my opinion though) We all told her kittens would cost alot of money and be prepared but oh well. I hope this baby is doing okay. :sad:

chico2
February 21st, 2005, 09:01 AM
Hopefully we're wrong and we'll hear from Ghullums mom soon...

Princesss04
February 21st, 2005, 09:48 AM
Oh Chico I hope so but I don't know. :sad:

chico2
February 21st, 2005, 10:04 AM
I hope we have not scared her away,I really want to know how the kittens are doing.....
I too am very gullable,tend to think people are telling the truth and especially animal-people talking about their animals.

CyberKitten
February 21st, 2005, 10:05 AM
Just checking in to see if there is any word on the babies. An infection in a tiny kitten is such a serious affair! It seems to me they should all go to the vet anyway asap if only for a chekup. When I was a naieve teenager who handreared four tiny babies (their feral mom was hit by a car and died enroute to the vet's), I had those babies at the vet a week after they were born for a checkup (you know, in case of an infection, heart murmur, that kind of thing). My parents and grandmother helped me financially but insisted I still use my allowance and babysitting money - if one is going to take responsibility, they said....

Anyway, I hopes she lets us know how they are.

glasslass
February 21st, 2005, 11:01 AM
See? Having pets does teach a child responsibility and compassion. Sounds like your family raised you right. Look at you now! Could you be in a more responsible or compassionate profession?! :thumbs up

I'm disappointed there's been no follow-up from Ghullum's Mom.

pollito
February 21st, 2005, 11:32 AM
black tea helps with different eye infections, not just on pets but also on kids, just pour half a cup of hot water, put 1 or even 2 teabags of black tea, let it get as dark as it gets and let it cool down so it is a little bit warmer than room temperature, then take a cotton ball and wash the eyes with tea,, do it like once an hour, or every two hours and before going to sleep, it really helps.

Ghullums_mom
February 21st, 2005, 08:11 PM
Yes Karin,you peaked my curiosity..I read it too.. :sad:
Ghullums mom,I think we've been more than forthcoming and helpful to you and of course the mom cat and kittens,because all of us care..
Why the hostility in another thread?
We have accepted the fact the kittens are here and everyone has been very helpful,but an 11 yr old wanting to breed a cat for the "fun"of it,is sickening,can you not see our point,seeing the trouble you're having?
Anyway,I hope your little kitten will get the care he/she needs..

wait wait wait,,,,the whole all about you guys thing? i ment that to be funny...not mean....im sorry that it got taken that way. i tottaly ment it in a good way i swear! you guys always take over threads and its absolutly halarious! honest. i love coming here, this site rocks

Ghullums_mom
February 21st, 2005, 08:14 PM
kitty update!

as of today the eye looks soo much better. the kitten barely fusses when i take him out to clean it. its not red anymore or anything. im still taking them to the vet in the next day. i have suregery of my own tomorrow so it has to be wedensday. anyway. just thought you all would like to know

CyberKitten
February 21st, 2005, 08:16 PM
So glad to hear the kitty is on the mend and to hear they will see the vet soon. Thx for the update!

Jackie467
February 21st, 2005, 08:29 PM
so glad to hear kitten is doing well. Have you named them yet? I hope your sugury goes well and you have a quick recovery. hope you and all kitties feel better.

Ghullums_mom
February 21st, 2005, 09:04 PM
none of them have been named. i like to wait to see what kind of personality they have befor i name them. unless the name fits them like with my ghullum. i hope they will show me alittle of their personalities soon.

Carina
February 21st, 2005, 09:25 PM
Glad s/he's on the mend!
Can you even tell what sex they are? As I recall it's pretty darn difficult to tell pinks from blues at that age. :)

Ghullums_mom
February 22nd, 2005, 12:13 AM
i do know i have two boys and two girls, the girls are one calico and one tortise shell. least i think thats what she is. the boys are black and white, one with stripes in a saddle form, and the other looks like a cow. the striped boy is the one with the infected eye. which is still looking better. and yes they are all going to the vet soon. :) ;) :thumbs up

BARB
February 22nd, 2005, 12:29 AM
Can Ne 1 Help Me To Understand, There Are 2 Things My 2 Yr Old Boy Dog Name Korey Does Way Too Much. First Is Every Chance He Gets He Is Yawning, He Can Yawn About 30 Times A Day, Its Like Hes Bored Or Something. Second Is He Will Be Sitting Down With His Nose To The Floor Smelling His Butt, He Dose This For Long Periods Of Time. And I Do Put Him Outside To Go, But Then He Comes In And Still Does That.

Carina
February 22nd, 2005, 12:25 PM
Barb can you post this question in a new topic? It's less confusing. :)
Yawning is often a sign of stress, and perhaps he should have a check up by your vet to make sure everything is OK with his hind end.

GM, hope kittens are doing fine & get a good vet check....post more photos! I liked the cow boy. :) You can call him Wayne or something. :D

Ghullums_mom
February 26th, 2005, 09:06 PM
everything is fine with the kittens. sorry i havent been around. work and my health got in the way

ghullums back to her old annoyingly adorable self.

twinmommy
February 26th, 2005, 09:13 PM
I was wondering how you were...you had mentioned surgery, I was just wondering if it went well and if you were o.k.?

Glad to hear that Ghullum is good, and so are the kittens. :thumbs up