Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Help us with our virgin kitty...we want her to have babies but don't know what to do!

Brittany
February 19th, 2005, 08:28 PM
We have basically three questions:

1) How old does our cat have to be in order to safely have babies. We found her when she was just a kitten and think she's about a year and a half old at least.

2) How do we find a suitable male cat (avoiding risk of diseases) to breed our cat with, without spending much money. Pure breeding isn't an issue for us. We just want kittens mainly.

3) Our cat recently started a very irritating meowing that is not her normal sound. We were told she is "calling" because she's in heat. So, if we want to breed her how long do we wait to have her "fixed" and when is it safe to do so after she's had kittens? that, and how do we find a doctor who will do it right without getting charged and arm and a leg?

If anyone has a soft spot for our "new parents" innocent questions please write us back with answers or maybe you could direct us to people who would be willing to helps us find answers to our questions.
Our email is:

Thank you and God Bless!

The Chowning Family
Brittany, J, Hollie, and little Isaiah (and Kitty:>)

greaterdane
February 19th, 2005, 08:38 PM
Please read all the other postings about breeding. You will see that it is not a good idea and people look down on it especially on this forum. Good for you for rescueing the kitty but please have it spayed. You will just be contributing to the overpopulation of cats that already exists. Go to your local shelter, there are thousands of kitties needing homes right now. Be prepared for many replies that are just like this.

meb999
February 19th, 2005, 08:41 PM
Wow! You are REALLY on the wrong board!!!! Have you bothered to read the 'read before you post' warnings???

Please get your cat spayed ASAP, if you want kittens, go pick some up at the SPCA, they have tons and tons of unwanted kittens.
Yours will probably end up there anyways, so why not save you the trouble!

Pleeeease do not add to the over-population of pets by breeding your cat. She will be a much happier and healthier pet if you get her spayed.

Carina
February 19th, 2005, 08:42 PM
Sigh.
Please don't breed your cat.
Thousands of cats are killed every day at taxpayers' expense in this country. They are put in metal boxes and gassed, they are given shots to stop their hearts, then their bodies are put in large metal bins and taken daily to the city dump, in every city on this continent.
Please don't breed your sweet kitty. Spay her and enjoy her. If you want kittens, go to the shelter and rescue more.
If you want your children to see the miracle of birth, there are movies and TV shows for this. If you want to give them the full experience, take them to the kill room at your local shelter so they can also witness the miracle of death.
And if you respond that "all your friends will provide loving homes etc" that won't cut it, so don't bother.
Please don't take this personally and don't get offended.
I am writing this out of love for animals, the sanctity of life, and the true belief that God would probably rather not have his beautiful creations killed and tossed away at the dump.

Ghullums_mom
February 19th, 2005, 08:42 PM
take it from me.....run quickly. fix your kitty and if you want to come back, get a flame proof suit

Carina
February 19th, 2005, 08:46 PM
take it from me.....run quickly. fix your kitty and if you want to come back, get a flame proof suit

LOL.
Brittany, if I read your profile right you are 11 years old?
I appreciate your concern for trying to do it "right" but there are really no "right" ways to breed a cat like this.
Honestly. There are tons of gruesome and sad facts and photos we could post but they are hard to look at. Truly, the best thing you can do is spay your cat now. :)

twinmommy
February 19th, 2005, 08:47 PM
heh heh Ghullum's Mom, YOU KILL ME!!

But she's right.

If you really care about your cat, get her spayed.

And go save some kittens/cats at your local shelter, if you would like more.

greaterdane
February 19th, 2005, 08:53 PM
I think this is another one of those posts just to get people going. Gah people have alot of spare time on their hands! :evil:

Lucky Rescue
February 19th, 2005, 08:58 PM
You want kittens? Go to your local shelter and foster or adopt a cat or a litter of kittens. Tomorrow, more beautiful, young cats and kittens will be brought out and put on a stainless steel table and injected with an overdose of anesthetic and will die because people like you want to breed their pets.

PLEASE get your cat spayed now. Why on earth would you want to breed an unpapered rescued cat of unknown heritage??? It's very unethical and kittens are a dime a dozen.

There are MILLIONS of kittens born and dying every year because people do not spay their animals. We get litters of kittens in all the time that have been dumped because people breed them and there are no homes for them and I"m sick of cleaning up other people's messes.

If you care about cats at ALL, you will try and stop this slaughter of cats by having your own spayed and save some poor cats who will die. Don't be selfish.

You don't want to spend money? How will you spay and neuter up to 8 kittens - about 700$ right there. If you don't and everyone who adopts them breeds them like you want to do, think about this:

Two uncontrolled breeding cats create two litters per year at a survival rate of 2.8 kittens per litter. With continued breeding, they create:
Year 1 = 12 cats
Year 2 = 66 cats
Year 3 = 2,201 cats
Year 4 = 3,822 cats
Year 5 = 12,680 cats
Year 10 = 80,399,780 cats

Do you want to be responsible for all those cats?

Karin
February 19th, 2005, 09:01 PM

LMAO!

Did I ever welcome you to the board? If not, Welcome Home!

Karin
February 19th, 2005, 09:04 PM
I think this is another one of those posts just to get people going. Gah people have alot of spare time on their hands! :evil:

I thought that too ..we have a long weekend here in the states.

When school is out....oh no..!

greaterdane
February 19th, 2005, 09:09 PM
They would have to be sight impared not to see the thrashing the other people have gotten about breeding. This has to be someone just trying to start something. I think people just shouldnt reply to them because they are just giving the idiotic person a good laugh. Dont rise to the bait please, I did that with my sister for years and it got me nowhere lol

Lucky Rescue
February 19th, 2005, 09:12 PM
I think people just shouldnt reply to them because they are just giving the idiotic person a good laugh

That may be true, but I must take these posts seriously, just in case they are for real (and from what I see, it very well may be) and try and talk people out of doing something so unbelievably ignorant and irresponsible.

greaterdane
February 19th, 2005, 09:16 PM
Cant the IP address be checked to see if it is an already existing member posting under a different name?

Karin
February 19th, 2005, 09:17 PM
They would have to be sight impared not to see the thrashing the other people have gotten about breeding. This has to be someone just trying to start something. I think people just shouldnt reply to them because they are just giving the idiotic person a good laugh. Dont rise to the bait please, I did that with my sister for years and it got me nowhere lol

We have all been there before. I think we reply just in case it is really someone with an emergency that does not know how or what to do.

It does "get" to us at times....as you can see.

twinmommy
February 19th, 2005, 09:17 PM
Dont rise to the bait please, I did that with my sister for years and it got me nowhere lol

don't we ALL have a sister/brother/ SIL/MIL (whatever) like this??!?! Gawd!! LOL :D

greaterdane
February 19th, 2005, 09:18 PM
twinmommy... my sister is 22 now and lives in London and still manages to get me on every holiday and family get together, she knows my buttons lol

twinmommy
February 19th, 2005, 09:21 PM
ugh!! I soooo understand!! I have one 2 great SILs and one....EVIL!! She has a "pearl" for me every calendar holiday!! I've started calling her "The Hallmark Kid" :D

greaterdane
February 19th, 2005, 09:26 PM
LOL the icing on the cake was getting a thank you card after christmas in February (shes a goof and forgot to mail them) Either way, apparently she was writing it while we were in the hotel on a shopping trip. Her words were "I am writing this sitting next to you and your feet stink"
Grrrr to siblings

twinmommy
February 19th, 2005, 09:32 PM
How totally wierd!!! I got a card too!! After being lectured that I must keep christmas gifts and birthday gifts seperate (her son is born Dec 10, and they live in the U.k., so I just sent over one box) I got a card in Feb too thta said thanx for "breaking the bank" (????what the......???)

These people are not quite right......... :D

greaterdane
February 19th, 2005, 09:59 PM
Ok, You win, my sister is not that horrible, just evil. I cant believe she told you that you have to keep things seperate..... isnt it enough that you send a gift all the way to the UK?? Postage alone is a gift in itself

so yah we kinda took over the kitty thread lol

CyberKitten
February 19th, 2005, 10:07 PM
There is no such thing as a cheap way to breed a cat. I include the following url:
http://home.earthlink.net/~sarsenstone/brdcosts.html

Why would you want to breed your cat? I do not want to "flame" you as someone stated but you need to know that anyone who does not show their cats and breeds only the winning champions is a backyard breeder. I am frankly a little shocked with the notion that you think you can do this on the cheap. It is just not possible!!

It costs several thousand dollars to breed a cat - and typically, a fee of $600 plus for a male stud alone never mind the thousands in vet bills that will accrue should your kitty require a C section.

Do yourself and your cat a favour - and the kittens who might result from such a mating - and PLEASE have her spayed!!!!

CyberKitten
February 19th, 2005, 10:08 PM
Oops! I did not read the earlier posts about this being someone seeking to get a rise out of us. Oh well. I am more tired than I thought, lol

twinmommy
February 19th, 2005, 10:10 PM
so yah we kinda took over the kitty thread lol

Yah!! I don't feel so bad when I suspect "trolling"... :evil:

Yup my SIL is pretty bad...she wanted to tell everyone here in Canada to send there things NO LATER than the 3rd week in November so that her kid could have his b-day gifts seperate from Christmas!! Sheesh!! Talk about missing the point!! What a nerve!! Anyways, MY KIDS birthday is the third week in Nov. so I'll be pretty busy...... :rolleyes:

greaterdane
February 19th, 2005, 10:13 PM
LOL, I havent gotten a birthday gift from my sister in 4 years, I am still waiting for the one she couldnt stop talking about 4 years ago. Apparently she ordered it and it was coming in the mail. Wow the mail is slow!

twinmommy
February 19th, 2005, 10:18 PM
LOL!! Maybe she's gettin' ya something REALLLLLLY good this year!!

hehe hee

Off topic for a sec--(NO!) when we were kids we used to sneak into the other sister's room and actually STEAL something and then give it back to the birthday girl!! We were four sisters, I guess we thought that we couldn't go wrong like that--I mean you knew that she liked it, right?

LOL :D

greaterdane
February 19th, 2005, 10:23 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHA ideas for her next gift

Ghullums_mom
February 19th, 2005, 10:29 PM
Brittany, if I read your profile right you are 11 years old?

what the heck is an 11 year old doing talking about losing kitty virginity....were the fork are the parents? this world we live in

greaterdane
February 19th, 2005, 10:37 PM
where the fork are the parents? this world we live in
I love this quote, there is now a girl wanting to breed her pittbull.. check that thread out too

Ghullums_mom
February 19th, 2005, 10:45 PM
in the end one would think its all about you guys....and thats how you all like it

greaterdane
February 19th, 2005, 10:48 PM
in the end one would think its all about you guys....and thats how you all like it

??? huh???

twinmommy
February 19th, 2005, 10:56 PM
Good god Ghullum's!! lol Does that go in this thread? what the fork??in the end one would think its all about you guys....and thats how you all like it