Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Petfinder

greaterdane
February 19th, 2005, 02:26 PM
I was on petfinder as my friend is looking to adopt a cat. I saw that the woman I got Dexter from is now selling another dog. This is a little concerning for me, could she be a broker? I sure hope not. The CKC said they did not recognize his tatoo, but I hope he is not stolen or something. I am worried :(

BMDLuver
February 19th, 2005, 02:57 PM
I would say it is doubtful that he was stolen as she would not have then posted him on the internet. Perhaps she is an independent rescuer? As we have no idea who the person is, it's only a guessing game. Hmmmm

Lucky Rescue
February 19th, 2005, 03:00 PM
Which ad is it?

Was this dog in the home when you went to see Dexter?

greaterdane
February 19th, 2005, 04:45 PM
When I went to see Dexter she met us downstairs in her apartment. She mentioned that she had 3 dogs and when she came down with Dexters crate she brought her am staff with her. I saw Dexter posted on many other sites as well for different prices, all the same dog though. His price ranged from 600USD to $150CAD. I didnt find all of these until after I adopted him and all the ads had her email address. Here is the ad for her other dog

Dog:siberian husky
mississauga,ON 555-555-5555 karen XXXXXXXX 02-19-2005
Name: Spirit
Sex:M
Size:M
Delete Spirit is a beautful 10 month old Siberian Husky male. Pure bred no papers. He loves other dogs but he is a bit shy of people. Unfortunately where I recieved him they did not socialize the puppies to many different things including people. He has now been socialized with other things but is still somewhat shy of people. The reason he needs a new home is my daughter has become allergic to his fur. He is a good dog he is really good on and off the leash, espically for a husky. For more info please e-mail. An adoption fee does apply.

Lizzie
February 19th, 2005, 05:12 PM
So you found the ad for dexter in the petfinder classifieds right? Not the main search engine for rescue orgs like humane societies and the SPCA?

If you found it on the classified part then I wouldn't think she is a "rescue" person myself...the range in prices she is selling him for is questionable. Looks funny to me..

greaterdane
February 19th, 2005, 05:22 PM
Yes Lizzie, in the classifieds section. I was worried about the price range as well. I know shes not a rescue, and the fact that one of her children wacked Dexter with a ruler right before we took him stating "he needed more of those" shows me she shouldnt have animals period. The child didnt even get a look from her when he did it.

And also, this is possibly the dog that used to fight dexter. She said it was a male and the dog that she brought down with her was female.

CyberKitten
February 19th, 2005, 06:51 PM
I have to say it appears questionable to me as well. Did you ask to see the puppies? Or was Dexter an adult? Did you see where Dexter lived before you "adopted" him? (as in looked at the home environment). Did she give you her own background information? Ask for references?

The breeder I adopted my Siamese from was so picky that it was only because I had impeccible references that they even agreed to consider me. Mind you, I had many questions of my own and I insisted on seeing both parents - the father was offsite in a cattery but the mom - a winner of several titles - is a gorgeous Blue Point Siamese and I saw both her and her three kittens. I had to sign my life away but that is what I look for in a breeder. I had not planned on a Show Quality kitten but I fell in love with Yin Yin so here I am, pondering the show question. (There will be NO kittens though even though Yin Yin is a female)

Anyway, sorry to get off topic. I always worry about buying a dog or cat from a home where there are no titled animals or the individual is not asssociated with local rescues. Did you contact the rescues in your area and ask about her? It tends to be a small world I would think and they would or should know her. You could probably contact them now if you have concerns. How did she phrase the adoption of Dexter?

These are just a few of my thoughts. Hope they help. I am sure you love Dexter now - and I also think if he had been kidnapped, the microchip would have revealed that. Now som e are beginning to use DNA to ID pets.

mona_b
February 19th, 2005, 07:19 PM
Is she calling herself a rescue?Was there an adoption contract you had to sign?

BMDLuver,you would be surprised how many people will actually steal a dog and then sell it.

About 4 years ago someone was taking dogs from peoples property in my moms area.And these 2 guys were trying to sell them.They did get caught though.... :thumbs up

I wonder if she is advertising in the Mississauga paper?????

I should try and get a hold of my best friend who lives there.

Lizzie
February 19th, 2005, 08:52 PM
Judging from everything you've said--I would say this woman is as good as a back yard breeder. She is perhaps gathering dogs from the "free to a good home" pool or something else fishy.

Did you have to sign an adoption contract? Did she ask for any information about you or do a home visit? Those of you in rescue, correct me if I am wrong, but don't 99 per cent of rescues do these sorts of things?

greaterdane
February 19th, 2005, 09:49 PM
It was not a rescue situation at first. I saw her ad on petfinder and contacted her and she asked me a few questions and I agreed to meet her with Ozzy to make sure it was a good match. There is another thread that I posted stating I was looking for an English Bull Terrier, it has all the adoption information that I did etc. Well she lived in an appartment in Toronto, she was waiting downstairs with him because we were about 40mins late because we were lost. I took a look at him and saw scars all over his face, they were not on him in the pictures she sent me so I had no idea that he was being beaten up by another dog. Either way there was no way I couldnt take him. The little kid wacked him with a ruler and said that he needed to be hit more. Then we went outside and Ozzy played with him. I know Bull Terriers are very dominate so I wanted to make sure they got along. James and I decided we wanted him the first second we saw him so she told us hes registered but she didnt have papers, and hes up to date on his vaccines and his birthday is March 18th. I took him to the vet and he is up to date on his vaccines although no paperwork was given to me from her, and he has no microchip. She was asking $150 for him as an adoption fee. Personally I think she got him for free and was going to sell him for a profit and was advertising him for $650 then realized that he was going to be an issue because her other dog was attacking him so she kept lowering the price hoping to get rid of him. She had him advertised for months and said that she did not have a large response for him. I am confused about the whole situation, but Dexter is here now and is mine, all mine. As for the rescue talk, I dont think it was ever mentioned that I thought she was a rescue. I know shes not a rescue and never said that she was. She said it was her dog and she was having to rehome him because he was being attacked and becoming aggressive. I was just wondering if anyone else found it suspicous that she was selling another dog, like 2 weeks after I adopted Dexter?? I feel as if I have rescued him because now he lives the life a dog should. I hope I have explained everything.

BMDLuver
February 20th, 2005, 07:07 AM
Dexter will have a good life now. I thought that perhaps she was a single rescuer because of another dog but sounds like she just got in over her head with dogs and starts out a bit greedy on the selling. I'm glad you got Dexter, he's one lucky guy!

mona_b
February 20th, 2005, 08:26 AM
Dexter will definately have a better life... :thumbs up