Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Stray Dog Dilemma

Shamrock
February 18th, 2005, 11:39 PM
I was getting into my vehicle just after dinner tonight when a large friendly pit bull rushes up to greet me and my dog, tries to jump right into the car with us. Very odd behaviour. :confused: The children who were with this dog said it was lost.. a stray, and after asking them a few questions, they soon disappear. Now the dog has latched on to me as its new pal, wagging her tail and jumping up with friendly enthusiasm.
I observe her for about 15 min... running up and down the block in obvious confusion, and then back to us. We're on a quiet street, but there is still traffic. I worry she might be hit by a car, so I decide I' ll put her in my back yard, and just walk around the neighbourhood.. looking for people looking for a dog. I dont find any, go home and call the SPCA, leaving my number.

The dog wants inside the house, but cant do that. She then becomes agitated and wants out of the yard, and is pawing at the gate
My hubby says at that point if she wants out, I should let just her go. She will just go home on her own now, he claims.
But if she knew her way home.. why didnt she go there earlier? I just didnt want this lovely girl to meet an awful end.

After an hour or so and no phone calls, I decide to do another walk around my neighbourhood, and go out to check on her.
She is gone! To my astonishment, she had chewed right through the wooden gate posts, and made her escape. She wasnt anywhere to be seen. Maybe she did go back home..

Now our gate is wrecked, and my hubby is mad at me for not following his advice. :sad:
I cant let our own dog out unattended until we get a repair done - hopefully tomorrow.
I'm not in the habit of interfering with other peoples dogs.. but felt a responsbility to act on her behalf. I "thought" I was doing the right thing...

I wondered how you handled this situation of encountering stray dogs? Unless they are in "imminent" danger - is it better just to let them be?
:ca:

moo-goo
February 18th, 2005, 11:54 PM
i think you did the right thing, and now it's out of your hands again.

earlier this month i found a cat, obviously from a home, but obviously lost. i had it in my home for a week before i saw a poster up, and found her home.

it's not cool for animals to be running around lost + confused. they start acting crazy - running into traffic and being aggressive. it gets them a bad name. if she attached herself to you she obviously felt safe with you. you helped, but she had a better idea! all you can do is offer to help, you can't force it. maybe something triggered her to remember where home is - like a familiar smell or sound. you never know!

sorry about your fence though!

twodogsandacat
February 19th, 2005, 12:12 AM
I once followed a Shepherd through town. After about half an hour the shelter truck caught up with us - by then he was in the back of my truck eating cookies. After I explained how he was acting running up driveways and then back down them the shelter workers told me they get confused and then scared. The dog was picked up shortly after and they were thankful and gratefully paid the fine.

I once was greeted by a LARGE dob when walking my pup. He followed us home and my girlfriend looked at the size of him and said get him out of my house (worried about the cat) just as I found out how a quick release collar worked. He went straight around the cat and into the kitchen for a drink. The pound said we could keep him overnight and drop him in the morning. Alison was a little intimidated by the size of him (I said a LARGE dob right). I managed to the collar back on, attached a leash and we went for a walk. 10 minutes later a car pulls up, a crying kid hops out of the back seat and off they went after thanking me.

Then we found a beagle playing in the street at night. It kept going back onto the road. He was brought in to the yard and I never knew how much energy a beagle had. Dalton was pooped in ten minutes and this thing just kept going. He lasted about half an hour in the crate and ended up sleeping at our feet (Dalton sleeps on a couch). The next morning we called the pound, checked all the local stores for posters and then dropped him off at the pound before work with the instruction to call us if he wasn't claimed. My girlfriend saw him at the park two days later AND the owner was mad at her - go figure.

You did the right thing. :angel:

No pit should be running - ever. Nor should any other dog for that matter. Still a pit running loose just aides the pro BSL side. Loose dogs get scared. I don't often walk at night but my guy is a different dog at night, I plan on walking more in the dark due to his squemish (spelling) behaviour at night.

Also no dog deserves to die laying in a ditch after being hit by a car (poor Dez didn't die but was pretty beat up - search for the post to read that heart warming story).

maddoxies
February 19th, 2005, 10:39 AM
You done good :thumbs up (as my great nephew would say). Sorry about the fence, but you made every effort to make sure she was safe and to try to find her owners.

Would hubby leave a lost child standing in the middle of a highway??? Life always has a price (in this case your fence) but IMHO it is a price worth paying for trying to save a life and for your peace of mind that you did all you could for her.

lezzpezz
February 19th, 2005, 11:07 AM
I think that you did a fabulous thing. I have picked up countless stray cats/dogs in my time, and put the dogs in my fully fenced yard and the cats in the enclosed front porch until ACC can come and collect them. They will not come unless the animal is confined. I live on a dead end street that comes off of a very busy 4 lane thoroughfare. I see dogs on occasion darting traffic and in great fear. They see me and my troupe of dogs (3) and usually come over to investigate, so it is not hard to leash up the loose one and take it home to a safe place, where it is given food/water, and the call is made to ACC.
I look at it this way: If it was my dog meandering on a roadway, scared, confused and tired, would I want someone to take the time to confine it, give it water and food, and call the authorities and try to reunite it with me? You bet your bippy! By your kind actions, you have prevented an injured or dead dog, a possible car accident and you have hopefully begun the process of getting this doggy home to its' no doubt frantic owner! Bravo to you and poo-poo on your husband for whining about a few pieces of wood! You should be patting yourself on the back! We are! :grouphug:

Shamrock
February 19th, 2005, 02:45 PM
Thank you for your input :thumbs up

I was a bit upset last night... the dog got loose, my husband was mad at me... It seemed it all went 'wrong'...lol..

But I feel much better today. You're absolutely right.. this IS the right thing to do - and I would do it again in a New York minute.
A dog that is lost is scared, their behaviour can be erratic They could dart right into traffic. How could this be ignored?

The point about thinking of our "own" dogs in this postion is an excellent one. We would be eternally grateful if someone removed them from danger - possible injury or death.
Or should everyone just turn a blind eye?.."Not my dog"...not my problem".

As for the fence.. its a few pieces of 2- inch lumber - hardly the end of the world :rolleyes:
Fix it myself if I have to ;)
:ca:

lezzpezz
February 19th, 2005, 02:59 PM
You go girl! My husband was a putz too when it came to my "rescuing" strays from the roadway, until his beloved Rosie got loose and was wandering on the 4 lanes as if there were no cars at all! HA! Changed his tune in a hurry! A neighbour found her, stopped traffic and coaxed her over to the side of the road, where he kindly walked her home and put her in our yard. She had suffered a panic attack and had broken thru our side door, glass and all. (No injuries).
If anything had happened to her or a driver, he would never have forgiven himself. SO, when I show up with a lost dog/cat, he knows the drill. Get out a water dish and grab the phone. End of story :thumbs up

Karin
February 19th, 2005, 06:43 PM
Got my vote too!

(putz, havn't heard that in a long time.LOL!)

glasslass
February 19th, 2005, 09:47 PM
That is how we had Fonzie for a week. A friend found him on the street and we cared for him. Never did find the owner, although we advertised. We found a great forever home for him and he's doing well. You just can't turn your back on a little one in need. If animal lovers don't help, who will help them? Done good gal!

greaterdane
February 19th, 2005, 10:56 PM
I think you did a great thing and I would do the same except James is a total dog lover and would have insisted we keep her lol. I would be the one handing out flyers and making calls while he was at home playing with the dogs.

happycats
February 20th, 2005, 09:59 AM
You did the right thing!!
I once came across this huge dog (may have been part dane) he was running up and down a stretch of road my trailer park is located on. I pulled over but this dog would not even look at me, or stop running and whinning. (I believe he must have been dumped there). an older couple who live on that road had food out and the dog still would not come or even pay attention. I left and went about my business.
The next morning while driving up that road, ,there he was, dead :sad: must have been hit by a car in the night.
I will remember that for the rest of my life, and always regret not doing more and trying harder to catch that dog.
So believe me, you did the right thing.