Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Daisy got spayed...

Daisy's Owner
February 18th, 2005, 06:12 PM
I just have a couple of questions.

First of all, what specifically is the procedure? What do they remove? In human terms is it like a hystorectomy or a tubal, or something else?

doh! DH called and I have to go. I do have another question it will have to wait though.

BMDLuver
February 18th, 2005, 07:05 PM
Is a full hysterectomy. Tubal litigation would still present the possibility of pregnancy.

Daisy's Owner
February 19th, 2005, 10:17 AM
Thank you.

The second question is about her stitches. Other than her stitches you would never know she had been spayed. I am worried about her ripping them or pulling them out. She isn't fussing with them herself and we are not letting her play with the cat, but other than that what else should she not be doing that could cause her to pull them out.

TobsterMom
February 19th, 2005, 10:21 AM
As long as she is not picking at them, or licking at them, she should be fine. If you're concerned that she is doing this, pick up an e-collar from your vet until she's healed a bit. I'm assuming the stitches are dissolvable. Check her incision daily for redness, swelling, and discharge, if you notice any of this, or have any questions, phone your vet, they're more than happy to help (usually).

Glad her surgery went well, and thank you for being a responsible pet owner! :thumbs up

BMDLuver
February 19th, 2005, 10:30 AM
Limit her activity for the next few days.. as in jumping, rough housing, etc.. she needs to take things slow n steady just like a lady would that had the same surgery but dogs heal much more rapidly.

Daisy's Owner
February 19th, 2005, 01:19 PM
Thank you.

She isn't picking at them or anything.

just like a lady would that had the same surgery but dogs heal much more rapidly.

THAT is my concern. A woman is pretty much down and out for 6 weeks. Daisy is jumping and running around like there is nothing wrong with her. I'm certainly not encouraging the behaviour, but short of crating her for a couple of days straight, she is going to run and jump. We have stopped her cat play because that can get really rough sometimes.

OK, here is probably a better question.

Will Daisy know herself when enough is enough? Will she only do what she is comfortable doing and stop herself if it is too much for her?

BMDLuver
February 19th, 2005, 02:14 PM
Is keep an eye on the surgical site. If it appears to be healing well, no gapes, no irritation then most likely she is doing just fine. Some animals don't slow down with surgery and have a higher pain tolerance.

Lucky Rescue
February 19th, 2005, 03:23 PM
Will Daisy know herself when enough is enough?

No, she won't, as long as she feels good.

If necessary, leash her in the house to keep her from popping her stitches.

Daisy's Owner
February 20th, 2005, 02:56 PM
Thanks everyone. The incision looks fine. We'll just have to keep an eye on her. I'll try leashing her when she is getting a little rambunctious.

Jackie467
February 20th, 2005, 03:11 PM
as everyone said keep an eye out to make sure she is not picking at the stitches. but that is much easier said than done. when i had candi spayed i never once saw her pick at the stitches then i woke up one morning and they were gone, she had pulled them out and ate them while sleeping in bed with me, i never felt or heard a thing :eek: luckly she pulled them out the night before we were going in to have them removed and we checked and there were no peices left in her, she did a nice clean job lol. :D she was also very hyper afterward and i had trouble keeping her calm. i had to have her on her leash all the time. I hope your puppy heals well.